no gnu taxes
    no gnu taxes's Avatar Become A Pro!

My rambling sports thought of the day: Two overrated NBA players of the past

Karl Malone.

Yes, there are many good things to say about him. The guy was built a like a well engineered Hummer. Near the paint, he knew how to use his body. He was also an "over achiever" who became a nice free throw shooter in the NBA when he never was before. He played very well against weaker teams.

But his defense was only average and he was not a winner. His favorite shot was a fade away jumper which is not is not a high percentage shot in critical situations. Sorry, Karl, but others were a lot better.

Larry Bird

OK, you are saying, WTF? To start with, did I already use the term "over achiever ?"

Everybody knows the good things about Bird. His fundamentals were great as a "blue collar" player -- well, most of the time. The guy would often throw up ill-timed 3 point prayers which weren't questioned, because, well, he was Larry Bird. And who would the Celtics go to when they really, really needed a basket? It was Kevin McHale. Robert Parrish was always around to clean up for either one of them.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3341

Bird helped make the NBA what it is today.

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

3x NBA Champion
    2x NBA Finals MVP
    3x NBA MVP
    Rookie of the Year
    Voted in NBA Top 50 Greatest

24ppg 10rpg 6apg

But he was one of the most overrated players in the NBA

CanuckG

gnu stick to the politics threads this is embarrassing Keep your ramblings to a minimum pal.

no gnu taxes

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    gnu stick to the politics threads this is embarrassing Keep your ramblings to a minimum pal.
    Honestly, if you have any kind of intelligent rebuttal, then make it. If you think it's so stupid, it's not worth a reply, then don't. I'm not at all embarrassed by the thread; I'm embarrassed by the dumbasses who reply to it with emoticons, or less so by meaningless statistics.

It's sort of like when I make an argument that Archie Manning was a better quarterback than either of his NFL sons, and people try to argue with current ratings statistics. Meaningless.

CanuckG

Quote Originally Posted by no gnu taxes View Post
    Honestly, if you have any kind of intelligent rebuttal, then make it. If you think it's so stupid, it's not worth a reply, then don't. I'm not at all embarrassed by the thread; I'm embarrassed by the dumbasses who reply to it with emoticons, or less so by meaningless statistics.

It's sort of like when I make an argument that Archie Manning was a better quarterback than either of his NFL sons, and people try to argue with current ratings statistics. Meaningless.
    read post #4

CanuckG

Larry Bird is one of the top 10 greatest basketball players of all time and he's somehow overrated? Your argument is he put up ill-timed 3s? Is Kobe Bryant overrated because he chucks up shots too? Lebron? Jordan? They've all made ill-timed shots. Without Bird you can kiss those Celtics championships goodbye.

no gnu taxes

Read Post No. 6

CanuckG

GNU are you just here to troll? No one in their right mind believes Larry Bird is overrated. Hey your boys McHale and Parrish weren't even around when Bird as a rookie took a 29-53 Celtics team to 61-21. 3 straight MVPs overrated He was dominant from college to the pros. NEXT

no gnu taxes

I saw the team and listened to the games. Even he said Parrish was the most valuable player on the team. My personal opinion is that it was McHale.

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I saw the team and listened to the games. Even he said Parrish was the most valuable player on the team. My personal opinion is that it was McHale.
    You're personal opinion sucks just like every failed thread you create. Get the fuk off the forum because everyone thinks you are an idiot. I bet you think you are so intelligent because you figured out how to copy n paste you dildo fuk you.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Guinser, and upscope

Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Best advice I have ever seen on this forum.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9776

saloon this shit, and he already made a thread like this once. must be a kid

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I say Pippen was very overrated

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Compare Archie to his peers and compare Peyton to his peers. No contest.

Eli is more debatable.

hotelis
    hotelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 957

agree about Malone. watched 98 finals and it was weird seeing him shooting rushed midrange jumpers. it wasnt that he sucked at them, but he culd really use his body a lot better than that. not a "winner" indeed.

no gnu taxes

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I say Pippen was very overrated
    The only disagreement I have is that Pippen was never thought to be that "good" without Jordan, and never roved otherwise.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Malone was a loser. One of the most overrated for sure.

Bird? Bird catalyzed a game that was in need of resuscitation at the time. As canuck said, he took the Celtics from the worst team in the league to the best after one year. A good defender for a white guy and without a doubt the purest or top 3 purest shooters ever to play the game. He had a higher IQ than Magic, or Jordan, or anyone that plays in this era. He could anticipate everything. Was also a phenomenal passer.

Guy was not very athletic, times were rare if you ever saw Bird make an adjustment in mid air. But easily the highest IQ ever. easily.

no gnu taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Malone was a loser. One of the most overrated for sure.

Bird? Bird catalyzed a game that was in need of resuscitation at the time. As canuck said, he took the Celtics from the worst team in the league to the best after one year. A good defender for a white guy and without a doubt the purest or top 3 purest shooters ever to play the game. He had a higher IQ than Magic, or Jordan, or anyone that plays in this era. He could anticipate everything. Was also a phenomenal passer.

Guy was not very athletic, times were rare if you ever saw Bird make an adjustment in mid air. But easily the highest IQ ever. easily.
    About Bird. Certainly, I never said he wasn't a good player, or a very good player, or even a great player. He was. But too say as I often heard that he was "the greatest ever" is really a bit incredulous.

First of all, the guy was 6'10" and could barely dunk a ball. Ok, nobody has ever argued he was athletic. But he enjoyed a great situation with the Celtics. With Parrish and McHale, and the savvy backcourt the Celtics had, they would have been a dominant NBA team without him. He got a lot of rebounds and steals because he was an "on ball" player; other players did the "grunt" work. As I said, when the Celtics had to have a basket, they went for mcHale, not Bird.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

About Bird. Certainly, I never said he wasn't a good player, or a very good player, or even a great player. He was. But too say as I often heard that he was "the greatest ever" is really a bit incredulous.

First of all, the guy was 6'10" and could barely dunk a ball. Ok, nobody has ever argued he was athletic. But he enjoyed a great situation with the Celtics. With Parrish and McHale, and the savvy backcourt the Celtics had, they would have been a dominant NBA team without him. He got a lot of rebounds and steals because he was an "on ball" player; other players did the "grunt" work. As I said, when the Celtics had to have a basket, they went for mcHale, not Bird.
    So you say he was 6'10. What other 6'10 guys do you know from that era (or before) that could drain 25 30 footers in his sleep. Forget the stats. They went to McHale a lot because he was a C playing at the 4 most of the time and had a significant advantage with his height and length. If they needed a last second shot, or game winner, it was going to Bird, not McHale.

Same story in LA when Shaq when 3 straight MVPs (finals) even though he was undeserving of the third. He even admitted going into that season (where they won the 3rd straight), that Kobe was the best player on the planet. When LA needed a quick bucket they gave it to Shaq always. But even when Shaq was still the better player the first ring or two, Kobe was the guy that took the shots when the game was on the line.

no gnu taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    So you say he was 6'10. What other 6'10 guys do you know from that era (or before) that could drain 25 30 footers in his sleep. Forget the stats. They went to McHale a lot because he was a C playing at the 4 most of the time and had a significant advantage with his height and length. If they needed a last second shot, or game winner, it was going to Bird, not McHale.

Same story in LA when Shaq when 3 straight MVPs (finals) even though he was undeserving of the third. He even admitted going into that season (where they won the 3rd straight), that Kobe was the best player on the planet. When LA needed a quick bucket they gave it to Shaq always. But even when Shaq was still the better player the first ring or two, Kobe was the guy that took the shots when the game was on the line.

I would disagree that the Celts went to Bird in critical situations, but that was all 25 years ago, so who knows. At that era, KC Jones (Celtics Coach) commented that Parrish was his best player and held his team together. Frankly I thought Mchale was the best in many ways, but who knows. I think, that undoubtedly, the front 3 of the Celts was the best ever.

As for Shaq, this was a guy who would post in the lane for 5 seconds (3 second rule?), and then bulldoze his way past a defender like a fullback powering for a 1st down. He was the best at that. So if that made him great, so be it.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

First he was overrated because he took ill advised shots?? Now he's overrated because he could barely dunk??

Bird one of the greatest ever....FACT!!
    Not one person has agreed w/ you yet....FACT!!
    Silly thread....FACT!!