UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Why do only nfl players " hold out"

Nba players dont hold out but do demand trades. Good players in nba always get their pay day.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: lemart5

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Non guaranteed contracts go both ways...
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Naz18

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    Nba players dont hold out but do demand trades. Good players in nba always get their pay day.
    I'm interested in this too. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the majority of NBA contracts guarantee money - I think the NFL contracts are easier to break for both sides.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Shorter career span due to injuries...got to get while the getting is good

Duff85

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    I'm interested in this too. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the majority of NBA contracts guarantee money - I think the NFL contracts are easier to break for both sides.
    and while i'm posting Mayan answers above. :-)

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Non guaranteed contracts go both ways...

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

Quote Originally Posted by mighty maron View Post
    Shorter career span due to injuries...got to get while the getting is good
    this. average life span of an athlete in the nfl is like 3.5 years.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

can't believe Duff didn't know that.

how's that Mandela dick taste?

Duff85

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
    this. average life span of an athlete in the nfl is like 3.5 years.
    Not for the guys that are going to hold out though. Your figure would be taking into account all of the guys who make the bottom of the roster and flame out, in addition to the more physically demanding positions that are going to naturally have shorter careers. We can't all wear a red jersey at practice so we don't get hit.

mynameismud

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    Not for the guys that are going to hold out though. Your figure would be taking into account all of the guys who make the bottom of the roster and flame out, in addition to the more physically demanding positions that are going to naturally have shorter careers. We can't all wear a red jersey at practice so we don't get hit.

true...but they also know that the next hit can be their last hit. so when you are literally putting your life and body on the line, guys tend to think they are worth more than the front office says.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
    true...but they also know that the next hit can be their last hit. so when you are literally putting your life and body on the line, guys tend to think they are worth more than the front office says.
    NFL players putting their life on the line? I don't know about that? Has anyone ever died in a game or at practice? I'm talking because of a hit, not some kind of respiratory condition, heart failure, etc. With all that padding, I don't see how any of these athletes can die from a tackle or pile up. Hockey is probably more dangerous--with those razor sharp skates. Some bad break and maybe you get a skate kicked up in your face or your neck...

mynameismud

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    NFL players putting their life on the line? I don't know about that? Has anyone ever died in a game or at practice? I'm talking because of a hit, not some kind of respiratory condition, heart failure, etc. With all that padding, I don't see how any of these athletes can die from a tackle or pile up. Hockey is probably more dangerous--with those razor sharp skates. Some bad break and maybe you get a skate kicked up in your face or your neck...

more in the line of becoming para or quadriplegic. thats pretty much your life. either way, imo, players think 1 more hit could be their last and thats why some of them hold out. just trying to see it from the side of a rich spoiled brat of an athlete.

UntilTheNDofTimE

What does shorter life span have to do with it? I understand they cant play as long as a NBA player or a MLB player but lets say that New york Knicks arnt paying Jeremy Lin what he wants, well then he goes to another team that will pay him. He dosent hold out.

If MoJo dosent play this season, well then he dosent get paid with to begin with correct. You say contracts are easy to break we'll then why dosent he break from his current contract and sign another or with another team. Plain and simple in the past MoJo signed a contract for X years at X amount. Why he thinks he has the audacity to say he needs more is beyond me. Hold outs are stupid.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

NFL players only leverage is to holdout. Holding out does not benefit NBA, NHL, or MLB players when they have guaranteed money.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

What does shorter life span have to do with it? I understand they cant play as long as a NBA player or a MLB player but lets say that New york Knicks arnt paying Jeremy Lin what he wants, well then he goes to another team that will pay him. He dosent hold out.

If MoJo dosent play this season, well then he dosent get paid with to begin with correct. You say contracts are easy to break we'll then why dosent he break from his current contract and sign another or with another team. Plain and simple in the past MoJo signed a contract for X years at X amount. Why he thinks he has the audacity to say he needs more is beyond me. Hold outs are stupid.
    Shorter playing years = less opportunity to make some serious cash. These guys need to get their coin when they are in their prime. How many 35 year old running backs play in the NFL? It seems like the running back position is most likely to hold out. Think I read that average lifespan for an NFL back is 4-5 years. Compare that to MLB/NBA.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    NFL players only leverage is to holdout. Holding out does not benefit NBA, NHL, or MLB players when they have guaranteed money.
    How so? Tony parker gets guarenteed money but he could " hold out" for a max contract. I dont see difference....

You would think NBA players would have more leverage to do this because while they're holding out their still getting paid. I dont see how Theres no benefeit to nba players doing the same thing.

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Shorter playing years = less opportunity to make some serious cash. These guys need to get their coin when they are in their prime. How many 35 year old running backs play in the NFL? It seems like the running back position is most likely to hold out. Think I read that average lifespan for an NFL back is 4-5 years. Compare that to MLB/NBA.
    Ok so then why would you sign anything but a 2 yr contract? Mojo is mad hes not getting paid what he deserves yet he signed the paper with the terms and years. Seems a little stupid to me. Sort of like people who blame banks when they cant afford their homes when no one forced you to sign the contract

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Ok so then why would you sign anything but a 2 yr contract? Mojo is mad hes not getting paid what he deserves yet he signed the paper with the terms and years. Seems a little stupid to me. Sort of like people who blame banks when they cant afford their homes when no one forced you to sign the contract
    Circumstances change. I do not know the particular details of his situation, and I am not saying he's in the right. But these players make the NFL what it is imo. I believe the owners are making a boatload of cash, and sometimes a worker has to fight to get everything he can. What's a fair profit for ownership and salaries for players? That's a subjective opinion.

imzdeals
    imzdeals's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 410

superstar nfl players are generally under paid. Superstars is the reason people watch and spend money on the NFL, which is why they hold out, and the reason why most teams just end up paying them a lot of money a la Brees. You could argue that guys like lebron and kobe are under paid because of the global popularity that they bring to the NBA

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

The question was answered in post #2

NFL players hold out because the NFL team they signed a contract with can cut them at anytime and not pay them the remaining years base salary.

If a player signs a 5 year contract with $5 million per year and then in year 3 on the open market he can get $10 million a year the player is going to want an improved contract...also he can't just opt out of the contract and join another team.