stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Jeter fires back at Skip Bayless

What do you want me to say?' Jeter asked. 'I ain’t getting involved with this, man. You can say whatever you want to say now, huh? There’s no repercussions.'

Derek Jeter has a new idea regarding baseball’s drug-testing policy: Test the media.

That was the Captain’s response Wednesday after he was informed that an ESPN voice questioned his remarkable season by insinuating that he was using performance-enhancing drugs.

Skip Bayless, one of ESPN’s loud-yakking talkies on its “First Take” program, suggested Wednesday morning that Jeter’s renaissance season could be the product of some illegal assistance.

Jeter called it “unfortunate” that somebody can go on television and make such insinuations, and joked that Bayless might be the one in need of a drug test.

“Whenever you have people that anytime you bring something like this to light with guys that are doing things, it’s like, now you have everybody questioning everything,” Jeter said. “That’s the unfortunate thing. Maybe Skip should be tested.”

Asked if he was bothered by Bayless’ backhanded accusation, Jeter shrugged.

“This is a first for me, man,” Jeter said. “I don’t know what to tell you.”

Jeter had not heard of Bayless’ comments until before the game, but he laughed out loud when informed of the indictment.

“What do you want me to say?” Jeter asked. “I ain’t getting involved with this, man. You can say whatever you want to say now, huh? There’s no repercussions.”

In what seemed like an act of defiance, Jeter hit homer No. 13 in a 2-1 loss to the White Sox Wednesday night. It marked the first time in his career that he had homered in three straight games.

“I am shocked by what I am seeing from Derek Jeter right now,” Bayless said Wednesday morning, noting that the 38-year-old had already eclipsed his hit and home run totals of last season.

“I sat back last night thinking about this and I thought, ‘You know what? You would have to have your head in the sand or your head somewhere else to not at least wonder, how is he doing this?’”

Bayless brought up recent comments by BALCO founder Victor Conte that synthetic testosterone use is rampant among major-leaguers. Stephen A. Smith, Bayless’ debate opponent on the show, began shouting at him.

“You’re mentioning Derek Jeter in the same breath as Victor Conte?” Smith yelled.

That’s when Bayless flat-out questioned Jeter’s legitimacy.

“I would have to be sight- and hearing-impaired not to at least wonder, because there is no HGH test in the sport of baseball,” Bayless said.

“They do not blood test; they do it one time in spring training for HGH, not again the rest of the year. How could I not wonder,
    ‘Is he using something?’ If you’re Derek Jeter, would you think about using HGH right now? Because I would. How would you not? Would you not think about it?”

Jeter has long been considered one of the least likely players to be involved with performance-enhancing drugs, serving as one of the sport’s top ambassadors during the soiled steroid era.

“I’ve never taken performance-enhancing drugs,” Jeter said bluntly on February 18, 2009, days after Alex Rodriguez was outed as a PED user. “I’ve never taken steroids. That’s it.”

Jeter has even objected to the term “steroid era,” saying the decisions by some players to use PEDs shouldn’t tarnish an entire generation of players.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Bayless is a clown

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Bayless is a clown
    I'm hearing ESPN is not very happy over this.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I'm hearing ESPN is not very happy over this.
    Doubtful. This is exactly what ESPN wants constant debate. They have completely ruined what used to be a decent show by just making it a debate. They want Drama, and that is why they pay Skip Bayless. Does he actually believe what he says? No. It's just to stir the pot because that's wha they think people will tune into, and so far they are right. Hopefully people come to their senses and turn this garbage off.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4567

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Bayless is a clown
    He makes money to stir shit up. If everyone would just ignore him instead of getting their panties in a bunch every time he said something stupid, he'd go away. Kind of like Limbaugh or Hannity of the sports world. These guys just say shit to make a buck. I doubt they believe most of what comes out of their mouth. It's a schtick, yet people buy it hook, line and sinker.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

jeter has a point. i bet bayless will fail a drug test. he looks like a pill popper.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2356

he's good at what he does

how old is Bayless?

he must be on something

can you imagine Bayless at 19 full of Endogenous Testosterone and all moody over being geeky? full of piss and vinegar?

can you imagine being his freshman year college roomate?

Jeff Grant
    Jeff Grant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2924

It was a dream of mine to work for ESPN - accomplished part of it - just didn't work under the name in Bristol

This company loses credibility each day it employs Bayless and other shock-jock personalities
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: darrell74

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

well bayless' work is done

worked this angle to perfection

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grant View Post
    It was a dream of mine to work for ESPN - accomplished part of it - just didn't work under the name in Bristol

This company loses credibility each day it employs Bayless and other shock-jock personalities
    I did some freelance work for a regional cable sports network when I was in college.
    I worked in the truck, I fed live stats to the play by play and analyst.
    It was kind of cool, made 200 a game, really cramped in there though

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Listen here

Jeter is using

You heard this from tony_come

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Listen here

Jeter is using

You heard this from tony_come
    I don't think he is.

He's loves baseball too much to do that.

He's also really good with money, he has more than his grand kids will ever need (if he stays with a woman longer than 3 months and gets her pregnant)
    He makes a gazillion dollars from Ford alone on top of his other endorsements, forget his baseball salary for a second, he makes more in ads that we'll make in lifetime.

Lastly, he's like Mo, he doesn't care about records or fame, he quits on his terms, he's not using PED's to extend his career.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Bayless is right...

Jeter and everyone else using something...

I understand the players protecting themselves...

But why do you clowns protect them???

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Steve

I think so

stevenash

^
    your opinion, I respect yours.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    But why do you clowns protect them???
    Nobody is protecting him, he doesn't pay my salary or put food on my table, just saying I know something about character, he doesn't seem like the one who cheats.

rumnblack
    rumnblack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why wouldn't Jeter sue?

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Nobody is protecting him, he doesn't pay my salary or put food on my table, just saying I know something about character, he doesn't seem like the one who cheats.
    I don't think you realize, it's just like cycling, if you want to compete, you have to "cheat"...

Sure, guys like Ackley in Seattle might be clean, but they're hitting .230 with single digit HR's...

Jeter is on something...

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by rumnblack View Post
    Why wouldn't Jeter sue?
    I don't think you can sue Bayless for his opinion, too much grey area there, Bayless could say "I didn't accuse him, I am just wondering if he is juicing...."

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Jeter would be a lot better if he was on them

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

jeter is a fukkin champ.

stevenash

Jeter leads off the game with a crush job double to the base of the wall in right field.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

anybody and everybody could be juicing

Jeter would of been the last guy i would of thought a couple years ago but now you just never know

he could be on something

wouldn't be shocked

stevenash

Just got drilled in the head his second time up.
    A lot of players just don't like him.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

It's sad that Bayless and Screamin' A get paid to have conversations that can be overheard at any sports bar. There is almost zero journalism, insight, or research done between these two. I would be embarrassed to produce such garbage on the air.