YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

How would shutting down Strasburg be good?

Pitchers are all about consistency. If you shut this dude down for no real reason but your afraid that he may get hurt, IMO its a dumb idea. Why not just lower his pitch count? To ruin his starts and to pitch him game 1 of playoffs will ruin his rhythm

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

because he's 24 and already had tommy john surgery... kid has unlimited potential, you don't to risk not shutting him down and risking further damage.

Plus, say they shut him down around 170 IP.. he's only at 122 right now. At that pace he can probably start 7-8 more times... he's made 22 starts already. Rough estimate but starting every 5 days, times 8 more starts, is 40 more games. He'd only miss 3-4 starts and the last couple weeks of the season, when at that point i'm sure the Nats will have a playoff spot locked up.

This kid is the biggest piece to the Nats team they've been building for the past 5 seasons

HardCore
    I Win Some, I Lose Less
    HardCore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

if zimmerman wasnt this good we wouldnt be having this conversation lets be real zimmerman and gio are just as good as greinke and weaver(weavers better then all 3 of them combined but thats not the point) as a 1-2 punch and jackson and dietwiler are solid there just too deep now if they were the yankees and there 2nd pitcher was nova lol theyd ride em till the Fn wheels fall off but to answer ur question i would shut em down i mean they shutdown zimmerman last year and look at him this year
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stealthyburrito

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Quote Originally Posted by HardCore View Post
    if zimmerman wasnt this good we wouldnt be having this conversation lets be real zimmerman and gio are just as good as greinke and weaver(weavers better then all 3 of them combined but thats not the point) as a 1-2 punch and jackson and dietwiler are solid there just too deep now if they were the yankees and there 2nd pitcher was nova lol theyd ride em till the Fn wheels fall off but to answer ur question i would shut em down i mean they shutdown zimmerman last year and look at him this year
    exactly... Nats are having such a great season and have other great pitchers they can afford to shut down strausburg and keep him healthy going into the playoffs. I'd be shocked if they didn't do it

Frank-King
    Frank-King's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7167

Nats have a scary rotation, could do some serious damage in the playoffs with Strasburg active. Maybe they should shut him down now and wait till the playoffs.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

He may miss a start or two but he's pitching come playoff time. This Nationals team was a joke not so long ago (Natinals anyone?) If they don't field their most competitive team when it counts, bye bye fan base.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Does them a lot of good for him to miss the playoffs
    STUPID

HardCore
    I Win Some, I Lose Less

was has the best rotation in baseball by a mile no 1 comes close zimmermans a 1 on 90% of these teams and Gio's having his best year to date if harper remembers how to hit the ball they'll be just fine without strasburg in oct

HardCore
    I Win Some, I Lose Less

agreed im a yankee for life but ive kind of fell in love with this money making machine called the nationals and i'll personally be pist if they shut him down for the playoffs but i can completely understand there just too deep

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    He may miss a start or two but he's pitching come playoff time. This Nationals team was a joke not so long ago (Natinals anyone?) If they don't field their most competitive team when it counts, bye bye fan base.
    Nats GM already said this will not happen....that would actually be worse shutting him down then starting back up again.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

it is dumb because winning the world series should be higher priority than his health. the team should be willing to ruin him (unlikely because he is two years removed from the surgery) for a world series.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They are screwing up

Wash has shot to win title

Bad move

nic9212
    nic9212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2551

How would shutting down Strasburg be good?

to me would be the + money

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

They should shut him down right now. Treat it like a DL stint and let him come back in 3-4 weeks. I don't understand why theyre doing it the way they're doing it. He should miss 4-5 starts right now.

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

it's called taking care of a long term investment and trying to prolong his career, what's the big mystery?

BennyFang
    BennyFang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10582

Nats show promise to be good for a long time. That said, there have been plenty of teams in history that had dynasty written all over them and ended up being a "flash in the pan" as they say. Moreover, in the current day MLB playoff format with do or die games and three series to get through to get crowned, it is a lot closer to a crapshoot than it used to be. If you make the playoffs, the time is now and you have to have your all your guns locked and loaded. It would be a travesty to him, his team, and their fans to not have him on the mound in the postseason.....although as I'm a Braves' fan I'd be fine with it.