stuler
    stuler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 308

U7 Soccer advice for new coach

Any advice on how to coach the 6 and 7 year old's? Had to step up to the plate and volunteer to coach otherwise some kids don't get to play, any advice welcome good or bad!

Stuler

ProfitBettingSov
    ProfitBettingSov's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 162

Just one basic: pass and move.

Pass the ball to an open teammate, move into open space, receive, pass to an open team-mate.

And teach them so they don't take more than 2 touches on the ball. First touch, control the ball. Second touch, pass it.

stuler

Quote Originally Posted by ProfitBetting View Post

Pass the ball to an open teammate, move into open space, receive, pass to an open team-mate.

And teach them so they don't take more than 2 touches on the ball. First touch, control the ball. Second touch, pass it.
    Sounds easy enough I guess will find out. Thanks!

justin81
    justin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6209

go to dfb.de click on training/training online/
    then you have to choose from a/b junioren, c/d junioren, e/f junioren and the last category is "bambini"
    u7 is e/f junioren, click that and you have the entire training session for that group age category which is updated every two weeks. All the sessions are updated every two weeks. Great stuff you will find there especially if you can speak/read German, if you don't use google translate.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

Gotta recruit other parents now. Ast coaches, team mom, carpools, snacks... Etc. sounds like a lot of work

Bottom line, it's all about the kids. Make it fun for all of them

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

Have them play barefoot one practice a week. That will teach them proper form and help develop their touch. Other than that, just let them have fun. And no heading the ball, seriously, it's bad for them.

justin81
    justin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6209

Quote Originally Posted by ProfitBetting View Post

It's not the time or the place for that kind of practice yet. Those kids need gazillion touches with the ball so they feel comfortable with it in any situation. The pass and move elements can be introduced in U13 group age and later. In U7 those kids don't have any idea about passing and moving which means tactics. For them tactic means running in the direction where the ball is, that's all.
    Make sure that every kid has the ball during the practice, check out the website above in my previous post, make it fun for them since nowdays everything must be "fun".
    Think thru out the session before so it has the flow, no exercise/break/exercise/break..., just easy transitions from one exercise to another, and be prepared that there might 8 kids or 28 kids that show up at practice, so you have solution to every situation. GL.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by justin81 View Post
    It's not the time or the place for that kind of practice yet. Those kids need gazillion touches with the ball so they feel comfortable with it in any situation. The pass and move elements can be introduced in U13 group age and later. In U7 those kids don't have any idea about passing and moving which means tactics. For them tactic means running in the direction where the ball is, that's all.
    Make sure that every kid has the ball during the practice, check out the website above in my previous post, make it fun for them since nowdays everything must be "fun".
    Think thru out the session before so it has the flow, no exercise/break/exercise/break..., just easy transitions from one exercise to another, and be prepared that there might 8 kids or 28 kids that show up at practice, so you have solution to every situation. GL.
    This guy gets it.

If you practice one touch and pass at the U7 level your team will get it's ass whooped every week (because you will lose the ball before getting shots on goal).

It's all about touches at this age. Make a big circle with cones and let the kids play "knockout", introduce some position play, teach proper throw-ins, goal kicks, etc. Keep it simple and keep it fun. Avoid kids standing in lines waiting for their turn.........keep a ball on their foot as much as possible. Good luck!

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Everything at practice should be all technical work. Teach them the basis. Proper way of passing, receiving, dribbling and shooting. The kids will thank you in 10 years when they have good touches and good technically.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Like this...

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Deuce beat me to it

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

fuk all this fun shit....make those little fukkers run from the time they get outta mommy's car til the minute they get back in to go home

do you want little prissy future cheerleaders or do you want warriors? the choice is yours bro

stuler

Great info fella's I will check out the web site. We start practice Thursday. I will have a total of 9 kids, so my roster says but yeah I suppose anything can happen. When I asked my kid if he wanted me to coach his team he said whoa Dad do you know how to coach??? LMAO I told him not really but I would figure it out if he wanted me to. He has been on top of the world telling everyone how his Dad is going to coach....so even if the season is a disaster it will still have been worth it to me.

I will post up how it goes.

Thanks again
    Stuler

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

My dad was my coach growing up loved it. Makes the son feel better about himself gives him a big confidence boost when he steps on the field.

Let the kids have fun its only 6 and 7 year old the parents arnt going to expect anything out you just have them learn the games basics and let them smile.

We used to play what we called Star Wars when I was still young. You lined up everyone on two sides and had all the soccer balls split on both sides into 2 teams. One teams job was to kick the ball at the other team trying to run through the middle off the cones with out getting hit. Great fun.

Marty
    Marty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

Try to be as organized as possible and go in with a plan. They'll eat you alive and stop paying attention inside a 15 minutes if you don't have ideas and drills ready to go. Spend some time warming them up. That'll give you an idea of who's going to pay attention and who will be a pain in the a$$. Also teach them to stay on their feet. Little kids (and Ronaldo) like to dive and flail all over the place. It's a good way to get kicked in the head. The parents won't really give a damn as long as the kids have fun, but they will if they have to bring their kid to the dentist.

Don't show any fear either. Little kids can sense it (at least mine) and they'll go all Lord of the Flies on ya. Good luck.

stuler

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Try to be as organized as possible and go in with a plan. They'll eat you alive and stop paying attention inside a 15 minutes if you don't have ideas and drills ready to go. Spend some time warming them up. That'll give you an idea of who's going to pay attention and who will be a pain in the a$$. Also teach them to stay on their feet. Little kids (and Ronaldo) like to dive and flail all over the place. It's a good way to get kicked in the head. The parents won't really give a damn as long as the kids have fun, but they will if they have to bring their kid to the dentist.

Don't show any fear either. Little kids can sense it (at least mine) and they'll go all Lord of the Flies on ya. Good luck.
    Got a plan got some Balls(no pun intended) it's go time in 3 1/2 hours.
    Thanks for all the advice found some great stuff.
    Stuler

stuler

Soccer is going great fella's thanks for all the info. Outside of the fact that it is like trying to heard a bunch of cats it has been really fun. Good call Marty to have a Plan. First practice I thought I had hours of sheet to throw at them, I ran through them in 30min...lol I have found that I need like 30 plans because it does not take them too long to get bored of anyone particular thing.