frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Anyone with an Android Phone like mine please read this

Whatever you do do not try to install custom ROMS on your device

I tried to do this tonight and failed(because the ROM I downloaded only works on international version of the phone, something I did not know until after I tried to install it) on my Samsung Galaxy S3, so for the past 5 hours or so I have been trying to unbrick my phone. FYI a bricked phone means it won't boot properly and is useless

I have found a lot of sites telling me how to unbrick it, but the files you need to put on the phone are huge and I keep downloading the wrong ones, so I have to wait again for the big downloads to finish.

Custom ROMs are NOT worth it! Take it from me. This is torture. I am hoping it gets fixed. I might be up all night trying to fix this.

Rooting is one thing though, free tethering is a huge deal. But DO NOT TRY CUSTOM ROMS!

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Noted. I have the S2, but i hardly do anything with it apart from surfing the net and sms/phone calls.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

frogger, that sucks homey... you will get it unbricked in time though...gotta plenty of step by step deals on youtube and the All things Root threads for your phone will have a lot of info in the android forum...

im sure you have been there, but if not, here is the link to the forum for your phone...
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/

what rom where you trying to use and any idea what step you might have missed that bricked the thing?

gl with it

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

I downloaded CheckROM because I read it was the best one

Learned on their forum that its only for the international version of the phone

That's why it wouldn't install on my phone, and why my phone won't boot, because I wiped the phone but there is no OS on there right now to boot it

I keep downloading the stock OS files, but they are the wrong ones, apparently I have to download the stock OS file for my carrier. So I finally found the link for the AT&T Stock OS and am downloading it right now. Hopefully it works because I really don't want to be out of a phone, since the warranty is gone since I rooted it

raydog

fukk, int. version...duh..i cant read

if that doesnt work, sign up at that android forum and start asking questions...by mid day, they will have you a few links of where to dl what you need...those guys have gone out of their way to help me with 3-4 different root/rom/unroot things the last few months... i got the new evo and started fukking with it right away...got stuck doing what you were trying to do and they walked me through a lot of stuff...

oh and if all else fails, just take it to one of those repair stores or even ask one of the nerds at the at@t place to fix it for you...throw them some cheese and dont ask questions...hah

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Yeah thats my last resort, to bribe someone at the AT&T store.

But I am confident that when this 700MB file is done downloading its what I need to get things back on track

I love this phone and I knew before I even started the custom ROM process that I was going to end up regretting it

I was an iPhone guy but bought this phone 2 weeks ago and could not be more satisfied

I really don't even see the need for custom ROMs... just using the stock launcher TouchWiz I still made a pretty cool home screen layout, which I had a screenshot of but I guess never transfered to my PC.

Will learn not to take it for granted if I can escape from this mess

I knew this was going to happen, knew I shouldn't have done it

Just like this afternoon I went to the sports book and forgot my wallet, I didn't think I had enough time to go home and get it before the baseball games I was betting on started. So I said "I should just go home and stay home and not bet on any games today" but when I got home I was like "I have time!" so I got my wallet went back and bet on the games, and ended up going 3-4 today and losing $50. If only I had listened to myself and just skipped betting today.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

This thread is exactly my problem:

http://androidforums.com/internation...-gt-i9300.html

So I have already been following the instructions in that thread

raydog

yeah the rom thing will come in handy when you want some changes, but having it rooted for tethering and a few other things is going to be all you need....

im like you though, someone tells me that my device can do more and i want that shit on their pronto!

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

The main thing I wanted was the ability to skin/theme the appearance... I know you can do that in the stock version but I was looking for something to where I could save my themes so I could load them quickly, rather than having to manually go through and change every icon/font/color/wallpaper.... but its not that important

raydog

its all about what looks good to your eye...i find myself switching my widgets around quite often... i rooted then with the titanium backup app started deleting some of the useless apps that were already installed and just taking up space... do you have that app? if not it is almost mandatory if you are going to try and flash anything in the future...one of the best apps for rooted phones

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Yeah I downloaded Titanium Backup to backup my files before trying to install the ROM... lol

Anyway download is done.... AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Stock Firmware, about to give this a go... lets hope it works

raydog

one tiiiiime!

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Looks like its working!

raydog

have all the apps that came along with it when you got it? which browser are you using? i didnt care much for dolphin...Chrome is working pretty well for me...also using Handcent for texting and Lookout for security

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Success!!!

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Looks like its complete stock, have to start everything from scratch

Will download Chrome though

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito

Im just glad I got it back working again

Going to bed, I never stay up this late

its 3:17am

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

Enjoy my s3. IPhone still better

raydog

meh, you just got used to how user friendly and basic it was...you will grow into your new machine grasshoppa

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Get urself an iPhone. I hate apple but the phones are great. I have mine jailbroken and it's fukkin sweet.