ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9605

John G. is 63 years old & owns a small business.

John G. is 63 years old & owns a small business. He's a life-long Republican & sees his dream of retiring next year has all but evaporated. With the stock market crashing & new taxes coming his way, John assumes now that he will work to his dying day.
    John has a granddaughter. Ashley is a recent college grad. She drives a flashy hybrid car, wears all the latest fashions, & loves to go out to nightclubs & restaurants. Ashley campaigned hard for Barack Obama. After the election she made sure her grandfather (& all other Republican family members) received a big I told-you-so earful on how the world is going to be a much better place now that her party is taking over.
    Having lost both roommates, Ashley recently ran short of cash & cannot pay the rent (again) on her 3 bedroom townhouse. Like she has done many times in the past, she e-mailed her grandfather asking for some financial help.

Here is his reply:

Sweetheart, I received your request for assistance. Ashley, you know I love you dearly & I'm sympathetic to your financial plight. Unfortunately, times have changed. With the election of President Obama, your grandmother & I have had to set forth a bold new economic plan of our own...."The Ashley Economic Empowerment Plan." Let me explain.
    Your grandmother & I are life-long, wage-earning tax payers. We have lived a comfortable life, as you know, but we have never had the fancier things like European vacations, luxury cars, etc. We have worked hard & were looking forward to retiring soon. But the plan has changed. Your president is raising our personal & business taxes significantly. He says it is so he can give our hard earned money to other people. Do you know what this means, Ashley? It means less for us, & we must cut back on many business & personal expenses.
    You know the wonderful receptionist who worked in my office for more than 23 years? The one who always gave you candy when you came over to visit? I had to let her go last week. I can't afford to pay her salary & all of the government mandated taxes that go with having employees. Your grandmother will now work 4 days a week to answer phones, take orders & handle the books. We will be closed on Fridays & will lose even more income.
    I'm also very sorry to report that your cousin Frank will no longer be working summers in the warehouse. I called him at school this morning. He already knows about it & he's upset because he will have to give up skydiving & his yearly trip to Greenland to survey the polar bears.
    That's just the business side of things. Some personal economic effects of Obama's new taxation policies include none other than you. You know very well that over the years your grandmother & I have given you thousands of dollars in cash, tuition assistance, food, housing, clothing, gifts, etc., etc. But by your vote, you have chosen to help others -- not at your expense -- but at our expense.
    If you need money now sweetheart, I recommend you call 202-456-1111. That is the direct phone number for the White House. You can also contact the White House here:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/%C2%A0;...
    You yourself told me how foolish it is to vote Republican... You said Mr. Obama is going to be the People's President, & is going to help every American live a better life. Based on everything you've told me, along with all the promises we heard during the campaign, I'm sure Mr. Obama will be happy to transfer some stimulus money into your bank account. Have him call me for the account number which I memorized years ago.
    Perhaps you can now understand what I've been saying all my life: Those who vote for a president should consider the impact on the nation as a whole, & not be just concerned with what they can get for themselves. What Obama supporters don't seem to realize is all of the money he is redistributing to illegal aliens & non-taxpaying Americans (the so-called "less fortunate") comes from tax-paying families.
    Remember how you told me, 'Only the richest of the rich will be affected?' Well guess what, honey? Because we own a business, your grandmother & I are now considered to be the richest of the rich. On paper, it might look that way, but in the real world, we are far from it.
    As you said while campaigning for Obama, some people will have to carry more of the burden so all of America can prosper. You understand what that means, right? It means that raising taxes on productive people results in them having less money; less money for everything, including granddaughters.
    I'm sorry, Ashley, but the well has run dry. The free lunches are over. I have no money to give you now. So, congratulations on your choice for 'change.'
    For future reference, I encourage you to try & add up the total value of the gifts & cash you have received from us, just since you went off to college, & compare it to what you expect to get from Mr. Obama over the next 4 (or 8) years. I have not kept track of it, Ashley. It has all truly been the gift of our hearts.
    Remember, we love you dearly, but from now on you'll need to call the number mentioned above. Your 'Savior' has the money we would have given to you. Just try & get it from him.
    Good luck, sweetheart.
    Love, Grandpa

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6423

I think I gained 20 lbs just from reading your posts

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Mods instead of just salooning this shit can you delete it completely so no other posters are forced to waste their time reading it.
    Points Awarded:

freeVICK gave hawley 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: boeing power, InTheDrink, and MatI

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dear Ashley,
    I'm sorry that your Grandpa's memory seems to be slipping in his advanced age. Otherwise, he would remember that the president he voted for turned a budget surplus into the biggest deficit on record, and took the world's strongest economy and turned it into a near financial catastrophe. Here's a little news clip from August 2008: "An Economy on the Brink":http://www.usnews.com/...
    "No one knows where it will end." They didn't. In 2008, most people didn't think Dow would see 10K for years to come. We were lucky that someone managed to end the Great Recession in mid-2009. We are now seeing slight-but-positive economic growth.
    I'm also sorry that Grandpa hasn't kept up with current events. Otherwise, he would know that taxes are lower now than they were during the Bush presidency. It's okay, most Republicans don't believe it either. http://www.cbsnews.com/... I guess they're watching Fox News.
    In an economic recession, people stop buying things, so companies have to reduce their costs. Here's a little chart that illustrates the difference between when a problem is created (Jan08-Jan09) and when a problem is addressed (Jan09-Jan10). http://data.bls.gov/... Charts always beat tables because trendlines are everything.
    Still, I'm sorry that Grandpa's company can't afford to keep paying his workers. I'm sure he feels bad that he couldn't run a better business, and he probably needs someone to blame. I'm sorry that person was you.
    I'm also sorry that Grandpa seems to have an issue with illegal Americans and the less fortunate. People of that generation sometimes have trouble accepting people with darker skin tones, which they assume most poor people have. The ironic thing is that most poor people are white. http://findarticles.com/... My dad couldn't believe it either. Just tuck that little nugget away for a future debate.
    Finally, Ashley, just like the exception that proves the rule, I have to admit that your Grandpa may be right about one thing. You do seem like a bit of a self-absorbed brat. Think about getting a job, and I mean the kind of job that gets you up early and makes your bones tired when you're done with your shift for the night. You'll be better for it.
    But most of all, Ashley, I'm sorry your Grandpa seems like such a dick.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Just another spoiled entitled kid who didnt know shit about how the world works and was counting on grandpa to bail her out. The voting age should be raised to at least 25 and would be better if it was at 30 since by then you actually know a thing or two about how the world works as far as paying bills and managing a family budget is concerned. Most 18-22 year olds in college only because they have borrowed to go there dont know jack shit and shouldnt be allowed to decide who runs our country and its policies when they are there on the taxpayers dime. They just arent qualified and knowledgable enough to be able to make these decisions due to the fact they dont have enough life experience.

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

Based on the photo, Cronkite must have written that posthumously.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ** PICKS View Post
    Just another spoiled entitled kid who didnt know shit about how the world works and was counting on grandpa to bail her out. The voting age should be raised to at least 25 and would be better if it was at 30 since by then you actually know a thing or two about how the world works as far as paying bills and managing a family budget is concerned. Most 18-22 year olds in college only because they have borrowed to go there dont know jack shit and shouldnt be allowed to decide who runs our country and its policies when they are there on the taxpayers dime. They just arent qualified and knowledgable enough to be able to make these decisions due to the fact they dont have enough life experience.
    It's like people in Canada voting for the green party just because they want marijuana legalization. If the green party ever did get power the whole country would fall apart. Obama talked about 'change', well he's certainly made it worse.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ** PICKS View Post
    Or it's a bunch of propaganda. Do you right wingnuts actually ever think or do you just see "Obama" and start yelling?

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Or it's a bunch of propaganda. Do you right wingnuts actually ever think or do you just see "Obama" and start yelling?
    Raising the voting age has nothing to do with obama.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

Quote Originally Posted by exstatman View Post
    Based on the photo, Cronkite must have written that posthumously.
    I was thinking the same thing.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9605

inthedrink can only nominate

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    inthedrink can only nominate

KingKolzig
    KingKolzig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

that guy in the pic is not 63, hes closer to 83 then 63. and hes not poor, im sure hes part of the illuminati and probably drinks babies blood for breakfast