BobHarvey
    BobHarvey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 380

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Laker's get advantage from league with Kobe, Phil and LA Market.
    You hit the nail on the head. Let's hope it's not a close game where calls will influence the game.

I firmly believe Houston not only covers but wins outright. the +12.5 is an early Christmas gift. The LA and national media are real down on the Lakers, not that it's a game changer. Even the Lakers appear in panic mode now approaching Game 7.

As a life long Laker fan, the whole Kobe Bryant experience has warn me out.

Lets go Lebron!
    Last edited by BobHarvey; 05-16-09 at 04:41 PM.

BCaldwell32
    BCaldwell32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1008

All I can say is Wow to this thread!!!! First thing I have to say is there are no players that compare to Michael Jordan!!!!!! Lebron James is the overrated player in this discussion, the only reason he made it to finals a couple years ago was because the East was god awful and somebody had to go. The west is the much better conference and Kobe has led his team to 66 wins in a much harder conference and they beat the Cavaliers both times they played. The reason Kobe has not won anything without Shaq is because the players around him have sucked until last year. They made it to the finals last year and got beat by an excellent Celtics team, could have happened to anyone especially since Lakers were not full strength. They have struggled against Houston primarily because Aaron Brooks is to fast for anyone to guard and they were no prepared for this team without Yao Ming. The Lakers will for sure win tomorrow probably by double digits and anyone who says Kobe ever was overrated is a complete idiot who knows absolutely nothing at all about basketball. I am from Chicago and when I grew up watching the Bulls just dominate the league, I wonder if there were forums back then saying that MJ was overrated. Kobe is an excellent player and he is still now and probably always will be a better player in his prime than Lebron ever will be. Kobe is a more prolific scorer, better defender, better free throw% and there is nobody in the league I would rather have in the clutch right now than him. Lebron puts up more all around triple double type numbers, but Kobe is much better at taking over a game.

The_Kid
    The_Kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1930

BCaldwell, you hit the nail on the head with your first statement. Kobe OR Lebron should not be compared to MJ. Second, Kobe has not won anything because he HAD teammates like Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Devean George, Tierre Brown, Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, etc. The list can go on. Making the playoffs with those guys was an accomplishment in itself. Your last statement comparing Kobe to Lebron was pretty much spot on too. As Stan Van Gundy says, Lebron is the best player for 44 minutes but Kobe is the best for the last 4 minutes. I can honestly say whenever I'm watching a game, I can always count on Kobe to score when you need a bucket. Every time I see Lebron hoist a shot, I don't have the same confidence in it going in. Lebron does put up pretty sick stats but it doesn't mean he's the better player.

CrazyLou, you're right. Lebron will have to develop his jump shot. Otherwise, he won't be able to get to the rim as easily as he is now when he gets older. If that's the case, then teams will just dare him to beat them from the outside and I can't see him doing that yet.

BrandonLaz
    Update your status
    BrandonLaz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

You know what is really funny about this thread. If you go check out espn.com right now there is an argument very similar to this. The thing with the who is a better player Kobe or Lebron that I didn't touch on earlier. Lebron is still only what 24 and Kobe is 30. Kobe has 6 years of polished skills that Lebron has yet to have the chance to develop. As I said before I still believe Kobe is the better player, but if Lebron works as hard as Kobe did at the age of 30 he could be more amazing than anybody can imagine. Just because he could be someday doesn't mean he is right now though.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

we really need to stop these kobe/lebron comparisons
    kobe is the best player and he has wayyyy more skills than lebron
    the only thing lebron can do better than kobe is prolly rebounding
    lebron plays in the east, i mean look at the playoff teams in the east
    5-8 seeds in the east were basically .500 teams !!

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    we really need to stop these kobe/lebron comparisons
    kobe is the best player and he has wayyyy more skills than lebron
    the only thing lebron can do better than kobe is prolly rebounding
    lebron plays in the east, i mean look at the playoff teams in the east
    5-8 seeds in the east were basically .500 teams !!

BCaldwell32

He is absolutely right Ron Paul, Lebron is in a much weaker conference!!

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

Which proves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BCaldwell32 View Post
    He is absolutely right Ron Paul, Lebron is in a much weaker conference!!

BCaldwell32

One telling statistic is that the Lakers were 44-8 vs Western conference this year and Cleveland was 40-12 against the weaker Eastern conference. What does that tell you guys?

BCaldwell32

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    Which proves nothing.
    It proves alot, it proves that if Cleveland was in western conference they win less than 60 games this year for sure. They are just not as good as the lakers PERIOD

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

We are discussing who is better...Lebron or Kobe....not Cleveland or the Lakers.

It proves alot, it proves that if Cleveland was in western conference they win less than 60 games this year for sure. They are just not as good as the lakers PERIOD

BCaldwell32

Yeah, and Kobe is much better and will most likely still be better when Lebron retires!! One thing is for sure, Michael Jordan will always be the best!!

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

MJ is the best ever and Lebron is the best right now.

Yeah, and Kobe is much better and will most likely still be better when Lebron retires!! One thing is for sure, Michael Jordan will always be the best!!

BrandonLaz
    Update your status

It is crazy to compare this stuff if Jordan had played with players as gifted as Lebron, Kobe, and Wade along with the bigs down low like Howard, Shaq, etc. would he still have won 6 championships? The debate is up in the air on it I never compare two different generations of players on players in the same era. To say Jordan is the best ever is like saying Bill Russell is the best ever how can you argue either Russell has 12 rings Jordan 6. I mean honestly the comparisions to Jordan need to stop just look at Lebron vs Kobe and enjoy in the fact that you have two players who are two of the greatest of all time playing at the same time. Lebron needs to polish a lot of his game like his mid range jumper, footwork, etc. to compare to Kobe. He is only 24 though so right now NO he is not as good as Kobe he is a great player, but not quite as good. Give him another 6 years and say is he has good as Kobe was at 30 and we will see. In that 6 year window he could develop the skills on defense and that sweet midrange game of Kobe, but right now he doesn't have it and if he shoots a game winner I am not 100% sure it goes in. If Kobe is shooting a game winner I don't even feel I have to watch the screen to know the result.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Lebron James is the overrated player in this discussion, the only reason he made it to finals a couple years ago was because the East was god awful and somebody had to go.
    LOL, he almost single handlely and with some help of Boobie Gibson beated the Defending Eastern Conference Champion Pistons to make it to the Finals. A Pistons team that just won the Finals a few years earlier. That is feat Kobe will never ever do in this lifetime.

The_Kid

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    We are discussing who is better...Lebron or Kobe....not Cleveland or the Lakers.
    Just because you put up better stats does not mean you are the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonLaz View Post
    If Kobe is shooting a game winner I don't even feel I have to watch the screen to know the result.
    I love that statement right there.

All you guys that think Lebron is better than Kobe either hate Kobe or hate the Lakers or don't know basketball enough to realize WHY Kobe is better than Lebron.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post

Dexter
    Update your status
    Dexter's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah, lebron is better then kobe now imo b/c lebron has decided to step up his defense - but to say kobe cant drive to the lane, and is washed up etc etc is comical.

the rockets have 3 all world defenders on their team.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

I love that statement right there.

All you guys that think Lebron is better than Kobe either hate Kobe or hate the Lakers or don't know basketball enough to realize WHY Kobe is better than Lebron.
    Anyone who thinks Kobe is better than Lebron now is truly clueless.

The_Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    yeah, lebron is better then kobe now imo b/c lebron has decided to step up his defense - but to say kobe cant drive to the lane, and is washed up etc etc is comical.

the rockets have 3 all world defenders on their team.
    Dex, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Lebron's defense looks so much better because he tracks down balls and swats them off the glass or out of bounds. That's his freakish athleticism. That's why it looks so good. I do admit that his defense has gotten better and that's why the Cavs play such great defense. It starts with your leader and Lebron is exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Anyone who thinks Kobe is better than Lebron now is truly clueless.
    You call me clueless and yet you have no reason to back up your statement.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Dex, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Lebron's defense looks so much better because he tracks down balls and swats them off the glass or out of bounds. That's his freakish athleticism. That's why it looks so good. I do admit that his defense has gotten better and that's why the Cavs play such great defense. It starts with your leader and Lebron is exactly that.
    Ummm, yeah that's why he's so much better than Kobe. Yes it's his natural talents. Kobe just doesn't match his combination of size, strength and speed, and talent. Lebron has gotten so much better. 3 years ago I would said Kobe hands down. Now it's Lebron hands down.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

You call me clueless and yet you have no reason to back up your statement.
    And you said "All you guys that think Lebron is better than Kobe either hate Kobe or hate the Lakers or don't know basketball enough to realize WHY Kobe is better than Lebron"

What's your reason to backup your statement?

RonPaul2008
    Update your status

He is just a biased Laker fan.

And you said "All you guys that think Lebron is better than Kobe either hate Kobe or hate the Lakers or don't know basketball enough to realize WHY Kobe is better than Lebron"

BrandonLaz
    Update your status

I don't see any of the Lebron backers coming up with responses to any of my post though is the problem. I am the most rational analyst when it comes to sports. I love both players and enjoy their game, but this season Kobe proved when he played Lebron he was the better player. The games where influenced by the intensity that Kobe brought to the court. Team USA relied on Kobe not Lebron in the clutch when they needed baskets. If Lebron is the better player why did they rely on Kobe? If Lebron is the better player why did Kobe outshine him on their one on one matchups? Why did Lebron have a worse record against the weaker Eastern Conference then Kobe did against the much tougher Western Conference? Kobe has three championships Lebron has zero. Give me the coat tail theory of Shaq all you want. MJ had Pippen, Magic had Kareem, Duncan had Robinson and Parker. No matter who you look at as a Hall of Famer they had a fellow Hall of Famer along with them for the ride. If the Lakers win it this year with Kobe his feats might just top the others as he doesn't have a true given Hall of Famer on his team right now. If Lebron does the same thing can be said about him. Lebron has not done enough in the league to be considered better than Kobe yet in my opinion. He has to yank the reigns away from the best and he hasn't done that yet. It will take more development for me to jump on that train. He has plenty of time people need to realize 24 is a lot different then 30 there is nothing wrong with Kobe being better right now. Six years more of experience is more than enough time for Lebron to make people say wow why did we ever debate who was better. He could also not improve at all and people will say wow at 30 he really isn't even close to as good as Kobe was at his age.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonLaz View Post
    I don't see any of the Lebron backers coming up with responses to any of my post though is the problem. I am the most rational analyst when it comes to sports. I love both players and enjoy their game, but this season Kobe proved when he played Lebron he was the better player. The games where influenced by the intensity that Kobe brought to the court. Team USA relied on Kobe not Lebron in the clutch when they needed baskets. If Lebron is the better player why did they rely on Kobe? If Lebron is the better player why did Kobe outshine him on their one on one matchups? Why did Lebron have a worse record against the weaker Eastern Conference then Kobe did against the much tougher Western Conference? Kobe has three championships Lebron has zero. Give me the coat tail theory of Shaq all you want. MJ had Pippen, Magic had Kareem, Duncan had Robinson and Parker. No matter who you look at as a Hall of Famer they had a fellow Hall of Famer along with them for the ride. If the Lakers win it this year with Kobe his feats might just top the others as he doesn't have a true given Hall of Famer on his team right now. If Lebron does the same thing can be said about him. Lebron has not done enough in the league to be considered better than Kobe yet in my opinion. He has to yank the reigns away from the best and he hasn't done that yet. It will take more development for me to jump on that train. He has plenty of time people need to realize 24 is a lot different then 30 there is nothing wrong with Kobe being better right now. Six years more of experience is more than enough time for Lebron to make people say wow why did we ever debate who was better. He could also not improve at all and people will say wow at 30 he really isn't even close to as good as Kobe was at his age.
    Give it a month when Lebron wins the title then you can change your tune. Kobe was better 2-3 years ago but Lebron has passed and will continue to do so and these playoffs will confirm this.

BrandonLaz
    Update your status

Give it a month when Lebron wins the title then you can change your tune. Kobe was better 2-3 years ago but Lebron has passed and will continue to do so and these playoffs will confirm this.
    Hey if he wins it with the team he has then I will call him better. Beating a weak Hawks and a weak Pistons team 4-0 means nothing to me though. I am looking forward to the Celtics or the Magic playing them as I think either is going to give the Cavs a run to see how much heart and grit Lebron truly has.

Dexter
    Update your status

i really hope we have a lakers vs cavs final.

i think cleav takes it all...

The_Kid

I've posted numerous times about this subject. Just re-read the thread and go look for some more postings I've done. I'm probably just going to repeat myself over and over again. I am a Lakers fan but I'm also being rational here. I really find it funny that all of you try tearing apart Kobe and yet, you think Lebron is a god. Doesn't that say enough already? Just the fact that you're trying to nitpick at Kobe and his flaws already says that you think highly of him and are just trying to make it seem like he isn't indeed the best when he really is. You're just trying to find ways to make Lebron seem better. In all honesty, Kobe has a better offensive game than Lebron and when needed, he can lock down on defense. His jumpshot and footwork are clearly better. Lebron might put up better stats but that doesn't make you the better player (RonPaul, you agreed with me on this but that was just counterarguing your statement that Lebron is indeed the best). Lebron was gifted with the athleticism and strength he has now. He was like this coming out of high school! I'm not saying Lebron had to work to where he is now but I'm sure it came a lot easier. Kobe is probably the hardest worker out there and he works hard to be the best. Saying Kobe can't win without Shaq is ridiculous. Go back at every championship team and not one single player can do it by himself. That argument is out the window. It's just an easy statement to bash on Kobe. Jeff Van Gundy said Lebron is the best player for 44 minutes and Kobe is the best for the last 4 minutes. That statement says a lot because I would trust Kobe a lot more than Lebron in the clutch. That's not even worth arguing. It's not how you start but how you finish. I can honestly say that I am confident every time Kobe puts up a shot. I watch Lebron and I cannot say the same. There was a post earlier that said Lebron is just a physical animal and Kobe is a skilled genius. It's true. When Lebron gets to be Kobe's age and can't explode to the basket like he can now, what is he going to do? He needs to develop a consistent jumpshot. Lebron has only been in the league six years and you guys are crowning him like he's won six championships already. The dude has not accomplished anything yet. Try to admire Kobe for what he does and has done and don't bash on him. I can honestly say that Lebron is a heck of a player but to say he is the best player ALREADY is just too much.

BrandonLaz
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    i really hope we have a lakers vs cavs final.

i think cleav takes it all...
    I want the same buddy that would be the best final I could imagine. Anthony vs Lebron would be pretty cool to. We always wanted that to be like Magic vs Bird.

The_Kid

There is really no use arguing this statement because it's not like Lebron backers will change their opinion or Kobe backers will change their opinions. Everyone will stand by their player despite what is thrown in front of them. Anyway, I'm done with this thread because there's no sense in arguing over something like this. It is what it is.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

wat exactly makes lebron the better player?
    he got better stats?

DeeWizzle
    DeeWizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    wat exactly makes lebron the better player?
    he got better stats?
    Negative! If that is tru than i guess Karl Malone is better than Jordan because he scored more points!!!

SmartBetzdotCom
    SmartBetzdotCom's Avatar Become A Pro!

You have a point to some degree. If Kobe is having an off day, the rest of the team needs to step it up which seems to be hit or miss. The more Kobe gets shut-out, the bigger the ball hog he becomes and takes way too many shots. If he takes 30 shots for 32 points tomorrow, the Laker's aren't covering the spread. However, the possibility of this happening is slim since the Lakers are coming out with full force tomorrow. Rockets will be demoralized by the first half. That is why I'm picking the Laker's to go over 52 in the 1st half.

BCaldwell32

Quote Originally Posted by DeeWizzle View Post
    Negative! If that is tru than i guess Karl Malone is better than Jordan because he scored more points!!!
    Jordan has the highest per game scoring average in the history of the NBA, what are you talking about??

Dexter
    Update your status

Jordan has the highest per game scoring average in the history of the NBA, what are you talking about??
    lol - gotta love it...

this is the first year ive said that lebron is better then kobe, only b/c ive seen james step up his defense this year.

however, kobe beat lebron in both laker wins this year - so i can understand people who still say that kobe is better. he is the better defender, and its not all about stats when looking at the better player. kobe has a lot of options to defer to, where james is really a one man show. i think combining his all around game/stats/and clutch shots this year - james is now the better player. but the black mamba is still right there.

First 1234 Last