WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Pirates/Jays trade

The Blue Jays and Pirates have agreed to swap outfielder Travis Snider for right-hander Brad Lincoln, the teams announced. Both players were selected in the first half of the first round of the 2006 amateur draft.
    Snider, now 24, has spent considerable time in the Major Leagues since debuting as a 20-year-old in 2008. However, he has battled injuries and the Blue Jays have optioned him to the minor leagues for extended periods, so his career high in games is 82 (reached in 2010). The left-handed hitter has a career batting line of .247/.305/.429. He has a .235/.270/.559 so far this year, including three homers against left-handed pitching.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Pirates give up their only advantage, for a fringe OF. Nice.

By advantage I'm talking about their bullpen.

WvGambler

Yea this is a head scratcher to me too.

secueritae
    secueritae's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2841

A lot of the Blue Jays fans on the forum I go to are pissed, I however have waited forever on Snider to break out but he hasn't.
    Seems more like ≤ Justin Smoak than Mike Trout

btw WvGambler can you give me some insight on Lincoln? Haven't seem him play at all.
    Last edited by secueritae; 07-31-12 at 12:07 AM.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

not a surprise by the jays here...they were clearly auditioning/showcasing snider recently with bautista out..no big changes for them they'll just slide gose right in there as he should be playing more along with davis anyway, rasmus a fixture in center and joey bats in right. lotta speed on that team

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Lincoln is a #3 starter in the AL, but a top tier bullpen arm in any league/division.
    Lincoln was one of the reasons Pirates have a winning record with a horrific offense. That bullpen never surrenders leads, but expect for Pirates to crack in th backend of games more often.

Snider is AAAA.

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by secueritae View Post
    A lot of the Blue Jays fans on the forum I go to are pissed, I however have waited forever on Snider to bust out but he hasn't.
    Seems more like ≤ Justin Smoak than Mike Trout

btw WvGambler can you give me some insight on Lincoln? Haven't seem him play at all.
    Lincoln has been a complete bust up until this season. Has always been a spot starter here as there but not a successful one.

He isn't big but throws hard, consistent mid 90's. Can reach upper 90's when needed. He's been really tough out of the pen this year, and there were rumors that he could eventually be looked at as a closer type pitcher.

The phillies wanted him for Victorino but the Pirates said no. If the Jays want him as a setup man, he could really flourish....but as a starter, not so much.

secueritae
    secueritae's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2841

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Lincoln has been a complete bust up until this season. Has always been a spot starter here as there but not a successful one.

He isn't big but throws hard, consistent mid 90's. Can reach upper 90's when needed. He's been really tough out of the pen this year, and there were rumors that he could eventually be looked at as a closer type pitcher.

The phillies wanted him for Victorino but the Pirates said no. If the Jays want him as a setup man, he could really flourish....but as a starter, not so much.
    Now I really don't understand why the Jays did this, as our pen has been lights out recently, only the starters are what we lack, especially with 3/5 being out indefinitely.

Snider is a fan favorite in Toronto, only problem is he hasn't lived up to his expectations.
    He'd have hot bursts for a couple games, but follows that up by having an equal if not longer cold streak.
    Strikes out a lot, and swings at a lot of bad pitches, but he has a lot of power.
    Good luck, hopefully he turns around with the change of scenery.

WvGambler

He actually loses a little value as a starter if he's in the AL, because he can hit. If he pitched a whole season, he would probably lead pitchers in most hitting categories. The kid can swing it.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

as a disgruntled blue jays fan for the last 5 years.. im happy jays got lincoln, you can never have enough good pitchers.

toronto will always be able to score but the complete package still seems so far away

BAUS
    Back on post review re: Optimal
    BAUS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 558

Jays win this trade.

BAUS

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Lincoln has been a bust as a starter and as far as bullpen goes 50 percent or more of his outings have been mop up duty. Pirates have 5 more guys like Lincoln in AAA that could step in and do what he has done. Bullpen arms are always over valued

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Pirates win this trade

BAUS

WvGambler

Im gonna trust Huntington here. Having until 2016 for Snider to figure it out is good.

I think Lincoln has it already figured out as much as he is going to....so maybe the Pirates were right for swapping him out. If this trade were to have taken place 3 months ago I would be ecstatic that we got ANYTHING for Lincoln.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Lincoln vs AL east hitters?

Snider vs nl central pitching instead of al east

Snider was raking in AAA and if we get 14 hrs in 200+ abs like he did for jays in 2011 I'll be happy.

This is a death knell for Tabata

DEUCED
    DEUCED's Avatar Become A Pro!

This trade is a push.

BAUS

WvGambler

It should be Arch. Tabata is a bad contract. Hell, we don't even know how old the guy is.

doylfish

tabata lol..he had what, 2 minutes of good ball? snider should def be an upgrade over the long haul. speaking of overyhyped outfielders, what will dom brown do for the phillies this time up?

gamble
    gamble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3984

snider is 24, relax on the AAAA comments. always trade bullpen arms for young upside hitters, this coming from a cards fan who doesn't want the pirates to improve

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Sniders left bat vs righties in pnc will do fine. Guy reminds me of young Giles

doylfish

brian giles...blast from the past...him and jason bay both

WvGambler

Snider just looks capable. He'll be a good clubhouse presence too. I've grown very fond of this trade.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Lincoln struggling