stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

So I'm watching Strasburg this afternoon, I mean really watching him....

I still don't understand why the Nats are still treating him with kid gloves.

1) He's 24, he's a full grown adult. He's not going to develop anymore physically speaking.
    Unless he suddenly develops a 6 cheeseburger a day diet, he's going to be what he is, 6'2 220 lbs.

2) I am watching his mechanics, really watching, he's very sound mechanically. He doesn't have that Fernando cork screw type windup. He doesn't have that Timmy funky delivery, Stras is pretty fluid, there is no reason to believe going 200 or so innings will have any ill affect.

3) I 'get' why the Nats brass is babying him, he's the face of the franchise, well him and that over hyped Bryce Harper, but if you are going to baby him, and shave innings, why would the Nats send Stras out in the sixth inning of that clusterfuck of Braves game last week with a 9-0 lead.

If I'm Davey Johnson, I'm saying to Stras, "you got a gimme 'W' here, you went five full, got the 'W' the brass wants to save your arm, take a shower kid, great job"

If I'm saving inning, I'm not sending him out in the sixth, why? You are up 9-0.
    Long story short, he starts the sixth, single, homer, single , double, then hooked.

The Nats aren't even babying him right. Didn't have to go 7 innings in the other Braves start, didn't have to to 7 innings in the Tampa start. if you are going to baby him, pitch him just five innings in blow outs, or 5-2 type games after five, let him go 8 innings in the games he needs to go 8 innings. Still averages out to 6.3 or so innings per start.

4) Kid is electric so far this game, 10 K's through 6, he's on cruise control.
    He threw a 12 to 6 yakker to Wright that would have made Blyleven and Mussina proud. Down right professional, big league curve ball to one of the games elite hitter.
    Pleasure watching him.

5) *off topic* Mets are so freaking done. They did it in the first half with pitching, the pitching has been exposed now, Dickey has landed to Earth, Santana is spent, the rest of the staff is just OK, the line up besides Wright is a collection of one or two tool players.

6) The Mets are imploding, LaRoche just hit his second space shuttle, moon shot homer in two days, Thole puts down a sign that the bench called, Byrdek shakes it off, doesn't like the pitch call, Thole puts the sign down again, shakes it off.... long story short, throws the pitch, LaRoche sends it to Neptune. Byrdek gets in Thole's face in the dugout, looks like they are going to rumble.......

7) Nats will go as far as their front line pitching will take them in October.

jbart28
    MAGA KAG
    jbart28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Oh don't worry the pitted acne face henry rodriguez knows how to build an inning for the mets. Gas Fuking can

k22t
    Nationals to win the World Series +800
    k22t's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you ask any pitcher from the Nats who has the best "stuff" on the team they will all tell you Jordan Zimmerman.. If you ask me who I want on the mound of a must win game I tell you Gio Gonzalez, yes he's struggled a bit coming off the AS break before yesterday but so does everyone at one point in a season. With that being said Stephen Strasburg is the face of the 1st place Washington Nationals who if continue to hit and pitch like they are at this very moment in time have a great chance to make it to and win the World Series. Stephen Strasburg will most likely be pulled at the end of August/early September once the Nats have everything in place. I think it is a big mistake because they really have a chance to accomplish something this season and without Strasburg may be able to win some games but not accomplish the full goal of winning the World Series. Strasburg himself does not want to sit but it's hard to imagine any player that would. With Strasburg out it would ruin the chances of having Stras/Gio/Zimm/Jackson rotation through the playoffs that could do some serious damage.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I guess they are afraid his arm will tire and get hurt?

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post

1) He's 24, he's a full grown adult. He's not going to develop anymore physically speaking.
    Unless he suddenly develops a 6 cheeseburger a day diet, he's going to be what he is, 6'2 220 lbs.

2) I am watching his mechanics, really watching, he's very sound mechanically. He doesn't have that Fernando cork screw type windup. He doesn't have that Timmy funky delivery, Stras is pretty fluid, there is no reason to believe going 200 or so innings will have any ill affect.

3) I 'get' why the Nats brass is babying him, he's the face of the franchise, well him and that over hyped Bryce Harper, but if you are going to baby him, and shave innings, why would the Nats send Stras out in the sixth inning of that clusterfuck of Braves game last week with a 9-0 lead.

If I'm Davey Johnson, I'm saying to Stras, "you got a gimme 'W' here, you went five full, got the 'W' the brass wants to save your arm, take a shower kid, great job"

If I'm saving inning, I'm not sending him out in the sixth, why? You are up 9-0.
    Long story short, he starts the sixth, single, homer, single , double, then hooked.

The Nats aren't even babying him right. Didn't have to go 7 innings in the other Braves start, didn't have to to 7 innings in the Tampa start. if you are going to baby him, pitch him just five innings in blow outs, or 5-2 type games after five, let him go 8 innings in the games he needs to go 8 innings. Still averages out to 6.3 or so innings per start.

He threw a 12 to 6 yakker to Wright that would have made Blyleven and Mussina proud. Down right professional, big league curve ball to one of the games elite hitter.
    Pleasure watching him.

5) *off topic* Mets are so freaking done. They did it in the first half with pitching, the pitching has been exposed now, Dickey has landed to Earth, Santana is spent, the rest of the staff is just OK, the line up besides Wright is a collection of one or two tool players.

6) The Mets are imploding, LaRoche just hit his second space shuttle, moon shot homer in two days, Thole puts down a sign that the bench called, Byrdek shakes it off, doesn't like the pitch call, Thole puts the sign down again, shakes it off.... long story short, throws the pitch, LaRoche sends it to Neptune. Byrdek gets in Thole's face in the dugout, looks like they are going to rumble.......

we get it nash you don't like the mets, but tejada valdespin davis much more than tool players

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

I think the nats brass is starting to bend (not break...yet) on this hard innings limit.

Rizzo recently stated strassy's inning limit would be around 180. Anyone remember just a few weeks ago it was 160??

And he even admitted that's not a definitive decision at this time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they extend it further.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

Pleasure watching him.

8) He's never pitched a full season of pro baseball and he's coming off missing a full year after Tommy John surgery.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    8) He's never pitched a full season of pro baseball and he's coming off missing a full year after Tommy John surgery.
    +1

Mark Prior had 'perfect mechanics' too. How did that work? Nats are playing it right, especially for a kid with already one serious injury. It is pretty likely he'll have another one before his career is up.

Jeff Grant
    Jeff Grant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2924

Nice job with this thread - good to see this type of information

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

Nasher the only problem I would say with your answer to yanking him in the 5th or 6th is, its gonna take a huge toll on their bullpen.

I still call bullshit thought that if Stephen has say 195 IP and they win the division, that they are going to shut him down and not pitch him in the play offs. its inconceivable. not going to happen.

PickWinnerAllDay

For the record, saying to take Strasburg out after 5 innings is stupid. They still hope that he can pitch in the playoffs and having him go 5 innings in the playoffs and then be gassed because he isn't used to going 6 or 7 or 8 doesn't help him, his arm, or the team.

zoo youk

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Tommy John surgery isn't as dangerous as it used to be. in fact, guys are coming back stronger than ever from Tommy John. take a look at Capuano, Zimmerman ect. plenty of others i just cant think of off the top of my head

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    Tommy John surgery isn't as dangerous as it used to be. in fact, guys are coming back stronger than ever from Tommy John. take a look at Capuano, Zimmerman ect. plenty of others i just cant think of off the top of my head
    Those are the success stories. You don't hear anything about the failures because they disappear from baseball.

Scott Williamson comes to mind but there are dozens of other names.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    For the record, saying to take Strasburg out after 5 innings is stupid. They still hope that he can pitch in the playoffs and having him go 5 innings in the playoffs and then be gassed because he isn't used to going 6 or 7 or 8 doesn't help him, his arm, or the team.
    So, leading 9-0 in the fifth inning, with a pitcher on a short innings leash, is good thinking to start him in the sixth?

zoo youk

Those are the success stories. You don't hear anything about the failures because they disappear from baseball.

Scott Williamson comes to mind but there are dozens of other names.
    yeah, gas cans. most pitchers who have been successful or atleast average to above average bounce back very well from TJ

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Zimmerman had Tommy John they shut him down after 160 innings he came back with his best year yet.
    The Doc that did Zim did Straus he 100% believe you shut it down after 160

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    we get it nash you don't like the mets, but tejada valdespin davis much more than tool players
    I'll give you Valdespin, he has 2 1/2 tools, he has speed, some pop, and hits for average.
    Tejada? He's mediocre on defense, hits for average, has no pop, how many tools you think he has, four?

Wright is a 4 tool player, one of the best in the game, outside of Wright, what else is there.
    Don't totally dislike the Mets, I think Collins is the right man for the job, I like Thole........

PickWinnerAllDay

So, leading 9-0 in the fifth inning, with a pitcher on a short innings leash, is good thinking to start him in the sixth?
    If a pitcher doesn't go deep into games in the regular season, they're not going to be able to do it in the playoffs.

Look at it this way... imagine training for a marathon by consistently running 20 miles... what do you think is going to happen come marathon day when you try to run 26.2

stevenash

^
    I get it, I was a catcher myself.
    If you are trying to preserve innings, if your limit is a hard 160 inning count, like Joba five years ago, then you have to pick and choose your spots is my point.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post

All those players you just mentioned would barely start on te royals ....

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

they should be watching his pitch counts not his innings
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stealthyburrito

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

the whole thing i dont get about the innings count is not every inning is created equal.

it should be a pitch count game to game and not innings..

look at the yankee game today nova threw 30 pitches in the first inning, that could be 2 or 3 innings for another pitcher

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

If a pitcher doesn't go deep into games in the regular season, they're not going to be able to do it in the playoffs.

Look at it this way... imagine training for a marathon by consistently running 20 miles... what do you think is going to happen come marathon day when you try to run 26.2
    pwad, actually marathon runners never run a full 26.2 in training. Kinda weird but they actually limit their distances to a max of 20 miles.
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-training.html

This is a pretty std. way to train for marathons for noobs and vet runners alike.

I understand your point however just found it funny you chose the marathon analogy.