PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I expect big things from Jay Cutler and the Bears offense

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Entering his seventh NFL season, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler feels at ease with the new offense the club installed in the offseason under new offensive coordinator Mike Tice.
    "This is the most comfortable I think I've been going into a camp with the offense and what we are doing scheme-wise and the talent around me," Cutler said on Tuesday." You can say this is the most comfortable I've been."
    The Bears made several upgrades offensively in the offseason, starting with a trade to reunite Cutler and wide receiver Brandon Marshall. While the two were teammates in Denver from 2006-08, Marshall, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, posted a pair of 100-catch seasons ('07, '08) before Cutler got shipped to Chicago in 2009.

Can't get enough Bears information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Monsters of the Midway. Blog

"I think we're both a little smarter football-wise," Cutler said of his current relationship with Marshall. "We've both been in some different systems. We know what we dislike and what we like a little bit more. Watching film from Denver it seemed like we were just running around at times, just going off the cuff. Brandon is a much more polished receiver which makes it fun for me."
    Besides Marshall, the Bears signed running back Michael Bush and used a 2012 second-round draft choice on wideout Alshon Jeffery to bolster offensive depth. But Cutler also spent the offseason getting reacquainted with new Bears quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates. With Bates as his position coach with the Broncos in 2008, Cutler went to the Pro Bowl after passing for 4,526 yards.
    "Jeremy has come in and helped install some stuff we did in Denver, some stuff that I'm really comfortable (with). Mike Tice has got a really good feel for what I like to do, of how to put guys in position to be successful. I'm happy with it. There is still some tweaking and stuff we have to do to make sure everybody is on the same page but the offseason work we've done so far has put us in the right direction.
    "I think that's Mike sole objective is to put guys in position to be successful. He wants to attack defenses but do it smartly. He wants to find ways where we can put our best player against one of their worst players. That's something we are going to try and do week in and week out."
    There is the question of how Cutler's relationship will be with Tice, the quarterback's third offensive coordinator since he arrived in Chicago four years ago. A former head coach in Minnesota and 15-year NFL coaching veteran, Tice spent the last two seasons working with the offensive line while Cutler dealt with former offensive coordinator Mike Martz.
    Cutler believes the two will be on the same page.
    "That's a good question," Cutler said. I've seen Mike explode on guys, I've seen Mike pull guys to the side and talk to them quietly. I think Mike does a really good job of knowing what you need, what type of player you are, if you're a yell-at-them type of guy or a pull-them-aside guy. He can coach me however. I think we are all in it for the same reasons. He's excited about this offense and so am I. It's just going to be a matter of working together and (reaching) some common ground on stuff.
    "I've had everything growing up. I've had guys spit in your face, scream at you and I've had guys who talk to you quietly. The longer you play this game you just tune it out and listen to what they're saying not how they're saying it."

I know Cutler is a character that brings out a lot of hatred and guys rooting against him. But I promise you... throwing to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery is significantly different than throwing to Johnny Knox and Devin Hester... If he stays healthy, no one will be doubting me on my claims that he is a top 5 NFL QB.

Ya got that, Opie?! No one!

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

bears have a shot to take away the NFC crown from the giants this year

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    Certainly a super bowl caliber team IMO. Just gotta keep Cutler healthy.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Putting a future for them to win SB, good chance you wouldn't need to hedge until NFC title game or even then, they're going to do great this year.

PickWinnerAllDay

Red zone offense will be dramatically improved this year. Big key for them.

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Certainly a super bowl caliber team IMO. Just gotta keep Cutler healthy.
    Sure minus the Niners!

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

3rd in division behind GB and Detroit

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Offensive line needs to gel

they do look good on paper

will need to stay healthy

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Let's no go crazy on these guys, the defense is a little over rated. The twink they drafted first doesn't impress me

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

9-7, win one playoff game at most.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Pretty favorable non conference schedule. Ten wins is within 50-50 grasp IMO

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Archie, have you gone to any games at solider field?? Any plans to go this year? cougar bait goes once or twice a year

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Let's no go crazy on these guys, the defense is a little over rated. The twink they drafted first doesn't impress me
    The guy is a solid defensive player. He doesn't need to be a superstar this year. We just need Jeffery to be serviceable, and the line to hold up.

Forte will do some amazing work between the 20's, and Bush is a very solid goal line back. The size of both Jeffery and Marshall will be huge.

Seriously, our defense is top 5, and we finally have a nice compliment of weapons on offense.

I see the lions and green bay both taking a step back this year, however - it will be Bears v. Green Bay for the division. Wild card in the playoffs is a fine spot, considering the recent champions.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    9-7, win one playoff game at most.
    7-3 last year before devastated by injuries and their schedule last year was harder than this year's and they've improved? Stick to minor league football, er, the NFC West.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    3rd in division behind GB and Detroit

Maybe you need to watch this clip so you can see just how badly the Bears shit on your Lions before Cutler and Forte go down with injury.

Lions fans seem to forget that the Bears were a far superior football team as the year progressed. Now they've added 2 elite receivers, and fixed their glaring weakness.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7683

Lets hope they do well but there defense can never make a big play on 3rd downs.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Packers should handle that division. Bears could maybe take a wildcard spot.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Lets hope they do well but there defense can never make a big play on 3rd downs.
    The offense has been shit because no WR options though so it has put a lot of pressure on the defense. I can't even count how many times a WR has run the wrong route or dropped a pass or just not given a good effort on a jump ball and it resulted in a turnover and a short field that the defense had to deal with.

Defense is going to love the Bears' offense this year, just get that feeling. Cutler is going to post Denver like numbers, except now he actually has a defense that doesn't give up 30 a game.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    Packers should handle that division. Bears could maybe take a wildcard spot.
    Way to go out on a limb.

t-wizzle

Way to go out on a limb.
    You're just being a homer.

My sleeper is Carolina.

PickWinnerAllDay

You're just being a homer.

My sleeper is Carolina.
    Nah, I'm not being a homer. I've been pretty correct about the Bears in the past. I predicted 11-5 the year they went 11-5 and won the NFC North, I predicted 10-6 last year and they were on pace for it before Cutler went down. I'm guessing 11-5 this year.

k13

7-3 last year before devastated by injuries and their schedule last year was harder than this year's and they've improved? Stick to minor league football, er, the NFC West.
    I'll give you +150 on the o10.5 for a 1000 points if you are that confidant.....

????

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    I'll give you +150 on the o10.5 for a 1000 points if you are that confidant.....

????
    +150? Isn't the normal line at 8.5? you're giving me +50 to sell 2 wins? Lmao. But I don't care about points man.

t-wizzle

Nah, I'm not being a homer. I've been pretty correct about the Bears in the past. I predicted 11-5 the year they went 11-5 and won the NFC North, I predicted 10-6 last year and they were on pace for it before Cutler went down. I'm guessing 11-5 this year.
    Double-digit wins will be a struggle. The offense revolves around Forte and they have an aging defense. It's time for chicago to rebuild on the defensive side of the ball.

k13

+150? Isn't the normal line at 8.5? you're giving me +50 to sell 2 wins? Lmao. But I don't care about points man.
    Normal line is o9.5 (-106). What do you think fair odds are for 10.5?

I can't bet you anything else so just a little extra fun bet for the season.

PickWinnerAllDay

Double-digit wins will be a struggle. The offense revolves around Forte and they have an aging defense. It's time for chicago to rebuild on the defensive side of the ball.
    How can you even say that considering A: The offense revolved around Forte in 2010 and they won 11 games, and the offense revolved around Forte in 2011 and they were on pace to win double digits? I mean look at last year's schedule. They were 7-3 after the hard part of their schedule ended... they were going to win 10 games minimum. There is no way they lose to Denver/KC with a healthy Cutler/Forte. Just impossible the way those games went. So that is 10-6, AT WORST.

But the real reason you can't say that is because the Bears have a better back up QB than that dipshit Marion Barber, and they also have added 2 legit wide receivers, whereas last year they had none.

I'm sorry man, but after this comment, I can't take anything you say seriously with the NFL.

t-wizzle

So you think they will be fine when they rely so heavily on one player? How'd that work out last year? I love how you speculate about games that they would have won on the road.

What's B by the way? You only gave A. Dumbass.

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

Da bears!!!

PickWinnerAllDay

So you think they will be fine when they rely so heavily on one player? How'd that work out last year? I love how you speculate about games that they would have won on the road.

What's B by the way? You only gave A. Dumbass.
    B is the fact they added one of the best WR in the NFL and then drafted another tall target. Sorry I didn't label it for you. I know how you get confused.

How does the offense still revolve around Forte when they've added legit wide receivers???

And are you being serious right now? Hanie is AWFUL and the Bears still almost beat KC and Denver.

If Cutler is out there, the Bears win those games by double digits. Even the most extreme Bears haters would have to acknowledge that.

t-wizzle

Have fun with that headcase. I think Jeffery may have been a decent pick.

Chicago isn't even in the same class as Green Bay. On top of that, Detroit should still be good and Minnesota won't be as bad as they were last season.

PickWinnerAllDay

Have fun with that headcase. I think Jeffery may have been a decent pick.

Chicago isn't even in the same class as Green Bay. On top of that, Detroit should still be good and Minnesota won't be as bad as they were last season.
    All this talk about Detroit... I guess no one remembers the curb stomping Chicago gave Detroit last year when both teams were at full strength. Oh well... talk is cheap, they play the games for a reason.

And Marshall caught over 100 passes when he had Dolphins' QBs throwing it to him. That is pretty damn impressive, like him or not.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    they will come in third in their division. what you talking about nfc crown?

t-wizzle

All this talk about Detroit... I guess no one remembers the curb stomping Chicago gave Detroit last year when both teams were at full strength. Oh well... talk is cheap, they play the games for a reason.

And Marshall caught over 100 passes when he had Dolphins' QBs throwing it to him. That is pretty damn impressive, like him or not.
    The point is that Chicago will have a hard time having a winning record in that division. 3-3 would be good for them.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    they will come in third in their division. what you talking about nfc crown?
    Did Detroit get better in the off season? Bears were the better team last year pretty obviously. If Cutler doesn't break his finger, Lions don't even make the playoffs.

PickWinnerAllDay

The point is that Chicago will have a hard time having a winning record in that division. 3-3 would be good for them.
    Look at their non conference slate. A lot easier than last year thanks to playing a 3rd place schedule.

And no, 3-3 would not be good. They will sweep the Vikings... quit that nonsense.

1234 Last