EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mutually beneficial trade. Pitt didn't have to yield any of the prize prospects, but did give up some talent. Wandy is a decent lefty and the cash sent is a good bonus. Still think the Bucs need a bat, but the rotation is f-ing deep and that will help if anyone falters and/or gets hurt. Also nice to have him for next year in a contract year.

On an unrelated note, Jason Kendall officially retired today. Guy was one of my favorites when he was with Pittsburgh.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2344

yes they will and already are faltering

and I expect at LEAST 2-3 more 15 DL stints in total......

too bad Morton blew his arm out

EaglesPhan36

Can't believe these fukks dropped two straight to the Cubs. Brutal when the Reds are playing the Disastros and stretching the lead out. This series has to show that they need a bat. I read a lot though that sounds like Pittsburgh is low balling teams for offensive help. They looked @ Butler in KC and offered a fringe pitching prospect. Seems like they aren't seriously going to alter their plan for the offense.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

They've had the best offense in baseball for the past month+. I agree though. At least bring up starling Marte, he's our best defensive player in the entire organization. Our corner OF defense has been abysmal since the break

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

offense is gonna regress to a 20th-ish out of 31 team offense now, maybe worse..

Marte is not ready. he strikes out too much and has no discipline. huge drop in avg from AA to AAA suggests he'll have a bigger drop when making the jump from AAA to MLB.

His defense is no where near Gorky's and prob not even close to McCutch... He has a cannon of an arm and raw speed, but not good routes in the field...

gamble
    gamble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3984

like wandy and this trade for the pirates, not a huge upgrade but he should be a good pitcher in Pittsburgh. I don't really understand how people can say houston was pitcher friendly, weird angles only help the hitters as it makes for awkward routes by outfielders. Wandy won't have to worry about the crawford boxes in left now as well

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    like wandy and this trade for the pirates, not a huge upgrade but he should be a good pitcher in Pittsburgh. I don't really understand how people can say houston was pitcher friendly, weird angles only help the hitters as it makes for awkward routes by outfielders. Wandy won't have to worry about the crawford boxes in left now as well
    The stats say Houston is more pitcher friendly than hitter friendly. Ranked 19th out of 30 parks with the higher you're ranked being the best for the hitter.

EaglesPhan36

Agree with Archie on offensive regression. Already seeing it this series. One hot month doesn't make me feel good after seeing them struggle for three.

I also don"t see calling up a kid during a playoff hunt as a great move either. At this point, I think as I said before this team is going to have to be the 2010 Giants if they make a legit run. Pitching first and hope your offense can get the big hits.

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Duplicate.

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]

Wandy is what 33? His career will slowly start winding down and numbers will show. I think they needed to get a young pitcher. Guy who is somewhat established and is like 26-28.

EaglesPhan36

Why a young pitcher? They are obviously playing for the near future and they have PLENTY of guys coming up in the minors to fill the rotation. If they got out for the age range you are talking about, they are giving up one of those prize prospecrs and that isn't the plan.

Wandy gives them more frontline help.

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]

Wandys days are behind him.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

It's not about youth, but years of control. They will have wandy for two more years after this season most likely. In 2014 wandy can be a highly over paid 5th starter or even swing bullpen guy or loogy. Pirates have Cole, Tallion, McDonald, Karstens, Wilson, McPherson, Locke and others to pick from for the 2014 rotation

EaglesPhan36

Reading Hunter Pence might be available now. Not in a million years would they take on his contract, but seems the Phils might be moving some parts apparently if they can.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

I could see the Pirates taking on more $ if the player was Pence-like in age an abilty.

Nutting has promised to open the wallet a bit, and he did starting with the new facilities in the Dominican, over-spending on over-slot draft guys like Grossman, Bell, Allie ect., extending Tabata and McCutch.

since the new 2012 MLB draft rules prevented the Pirates from spending as much $ there, and they saved 3+ million by wisely not signing Appel.

I think they'll take on $ if it wise, but NOT a soriano type older sunk cost contract

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

1 inning down.. ok so far

First 12