cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Dumbest play in the history of pro sports?

The score was tied in the Fever/Liberty game with 10 seconds left. The Fever had the ball and they missed. The Fever player Catchings got the rebound with 9.9 seconds left and turned away from the basket to pull the ball back out. Catchings was then INTENTIONALLY FOULED by the Liberty dribbling away from the basket. If you don't believe that, you can watch the highlights, it was clearly an intentional foul:

http://www.wnba.com/games/20120710/N...meinfo.html#Q4

Catchings made both free throws and the Fever won by two. It's hard to imagine a dumber play at any level, can anyone think of one?
    Last edited by cleaveland; 07-10-12 at 08:10 PM.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

'dumbest play in the history of pro sports?'

No, WNBA is not sports.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

No one gives a rats ass about the WNBA

If it ceased to exist tomorrow, no one would care

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

My vote for dumbest play in sports history is probably this

Can chew the clock down to about 35 seconds and pin the Broncos deep if Barber stays in bounds. So what does he do? Run out of bounds.

Here's to you Barber, you stupid fukk!

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post

That's inconsequential to the question I'm asking.

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

i agree i don't consider wnba pro sports.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by beerman2619 View Post
    i agree i don't consider wnba pro sports.
    Most of the teams are managed by NBA teams and the players are paid good money by the standards of ordinary people. That's professional.

ProfitBettingSov
    ProfitBettingSov's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 162

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post

I would, and so would plenty others who exploit it for easy money.

Another really dumb play was by the Giants guy in the last Superbowl. Didn't matter in the end but he could have stopped pretty much on the 1 yard line, and the Giants could have run out the clock and kicked a FG for a win.

BennyFang
    BennyFang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10582

Leon Lett.....twice.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by ProfitBetting View Post
    I would, and so would plenty others who exploit it for easy money.

Another really dumb play was by the Giants guy in the last Superbowl. Didn't matter in the end but he could have stopped pretty much on the 1 yard line, and the Giants could have run out the clock and kicked a FG for a win.
    This was intentional fouling in a tie game to give the other team free throws with under 10 seconds left. If this happened in any other league (including women's NCAA basketball) I think people would want an investigation of some kind. For the WNBA it's just another day at the office and everybody yawns.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by BennyFang View Post
    Leon Lett.....twice.
    More information please?

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

clearly you do not know the coach of Argentina national basketball team

it is even worse than what you have described

they were tied with Spain (I believe) and Spain had the ball with about 15 secs left...... TIE GAME

timeout. THE FUKKING COACH says in the huddle (and I quote): "we need to foul them so we can get the ball back!"

UN-FUKKING-REAL!!!

especially if you bet on the total/ml of that game.

BennyFang
    BennyFang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10582

He was an OL with Dallas in the 90s. Too much to type on my phone but google him. One was in a game vs Miami in a snowstorm on Thanksgiving day. The other was in a Super Bowl against Buffalo. Both involved carelessness with the football.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post
    clearly you do not know the coach of Argentina national basketball team

it is even worse than what you have described

they were tied with Spain (I believe) and Spain had the ball with about 15 secs left...... TIE GAME

timeout. THE FUKKING COACH says in the huddle (and I quote): "we need to foul them so we can get the ball back!"

UN-FUKKING-REAL!!!

especially if you bet on the total/ml of that game.
    That's worse for sure. I assume that this was a mistake by an emotional woman but that's far worse. What was the result of that?

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by BennyFang View Post
    He was an OL with Dallas in the 90s. Too much to type on my phone but google him. One was in a game vs Miami in a snowstorm on Thanksgiving day. The other was in a Super Bowl against Buffalo. Both involved carelessness with the football.
    If you're talking turnovers that's not necessarily "dumb" but he could have been fatigued or something.

acl123
    syndicate
    acl123's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nope.Jim Marshall playing for the vikings ran the wrong way then threw the ball out the back of the endzone
    /thread

baskets

Quote Originally Posted by cleaveland View Post
    That's worse for sure. I assume that this was a mistake by an emotional woman but that's far worse. What was the result of that?
    Argentina dutifully committed the foul that was ordered by the coach..... and Argentina lost in regulation.

I'll search for the video

cleaveland

Argentina dutifully committed the foul that was ordered by the coach..... and Argentina lost in regulation.

I'll search for the video
    That makes me a feel a little better about this, thanks.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by acl123 View Post
    Nope.Jim Marshall playing for the vikings ran the wrong way then threw the ball out the back of the endzone
    /thread
    Not necessarily, what were the circumstances when the play was made?

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Rondo made almost as dumb a foul against the Heat. fouling with ticks left on shot clock

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post
    Rondo made almost as dumb a foul against the Heat. fouling with ticks left on shot clock
    What were the circumstances when the play was made?

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

How about Rondo's foul, when he thought the clock had reset to 14?

Same kind of situation. I'm more amazed by that, than it happening in beavers.

edit: just realized this has already been posted. From memory - finals game v the heat. 12 seconds left, jump ball. Either a 1 or 2 point game. Rule is shot clock resets to 5 on jump ball in that situation. Rondo fouls Wade immediately. Wade was not getting a good shot up (was moving away from the basket) and Boston would have had 5 or 6 seconds to win or tie it .

baskets

can't find the fukking video

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post

edit: just realized this has already been posted. From memory - finals game v the heat. 12 seconds left, jump ball. Either a 1 or 2 point game. Rule is shot clock resets to 5 on jump ball in that situation. Rondo fouls Wade immediately. Wade was not getting a good shot up (was moving away from the basket) and Boston would have had 5 or 6 seconds to win or tie it .
    I can't believe that play was like the one in the original post. What was the situation exactly?

cleaveland

can't find the fukking video
    I believe you but what you described is beyond belief.

Gee

Next dumbest for me is Shelvin Mack vs Pitt in NCAA finals 2011.

Butler up 70-69 with 5 seconds to go. Pitt inbounds the ball (no advance). Mack gives up the worst foul of all time trying to defend a hail mary.

Somehow Butler got away with it with the ridiculous foul on Matt Howard on the missed FT. That was bad, but I get that in loose ball situations. Mack's foul was worse.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Arizona basketball player, Jamelle Horne committed a similar foul, except with no time left in regulation vs. UAB.

I still believe that is the dumbest - but similar.

And - for the record, never watch womens basketball. Don't do it. Bet on it all you want, just don't fukkin watch it.

baskets

Next dumbest for me is Shelvin Mack vs Pitt in NCAA finals 2011.

Butler up 70-69 with 5 seconds to go. Pitt inbounds the ball (no advance). Mack gives up the worst foul of all time trying to defend a hail mary.

Somehow Butler got away with it with the ridiculous foul on Matt Howard on the missed FT. That was bad, but I get that in loose ball situations. Mack's foul was worse.
    have to agree. that Butler Pitt game... those black dudes .... hilarious

nothing beats the Argentina game, imo in that kind of situation.. b/c it's not about a player somehow instinctively acting in the wrong way.

could not believe it. was even more painful b/c they had the camera behind the huddle.... I was like, that muddafukka is not going to do that... he be out his fukkin mind

Gee

acl123
    syndicate
    acl123's Avatar Become A Pro!

Winner

Gee

I can't believe that play was like the one in the original post. What was the situation exactly?
    Yeah, my bad. It was OKC v Miami. Westbrook.

With the Thunder down three with 17.3 seconds left, Udonis Haslem and James Harden lined up for a jump ball. If the Heat retained possession, they would have just five seconds left on the shot clock. Westbrook never recognized that, and when Mario Chalmers tracked down the tip, Westbrook intentionally fouled him.

cleaveland

Yeah, my bad. It was OKC v Miami. Westbrook.

With the Thunder down three with 17.3 seconds left, Udonis Haslem and James Harden lined up for a jump ball. If the Heat retained possession, they would have just five seconds left on the shot clock. Westbrook never recognized that, and when Mario Chalmers tracked down the tip, Westbrook intentionally fouled him.
    The play in the original post was a tie game with under 10 seconds and one of the teams intentionally fouled to give the other team two free throws. That's a lot worse than what you just described.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

College Basketball just this past tournament.... St. Bonaventure against Florida State down 66-63 and had the ball... their player shoots a 2 point shot at the buzzer when they needed a 3

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Rondo and Boston? I think you mean Westbrook. Heat were up 3 I think.

Marshall picked up a fumble and ran like 70 yards toward his end zone for a safety. He was a DL I believe.

You don't remember Leon Lett? Wow, I feel like an old geezer now. He was a DL for Dallas. In a Super Bowl against Buffalo he picked up a fumble and was about to score a TD until he stupidly slowed down right before the end zone and lowered the ball to the side. Don Beebe caught him and slapped the ball out of his hands for a touchback. A year or so later in a snowstorm he cost the Cowboys a Thankgiving day game. Miami missed a FG or something and he slapped the ball, making it "live" again. Miami recovered and kicked the FG for the win.

Gee

The play in the original post was a tie game with under 10 seconds and one of the teams intentionally fouled to give the other team two free throws. That's a lot worse than what you just described.
    Not if you factor in the natural female handicap on sporting iq But yeah, losing a bet on that would sting, but on WNBA, you kinda expect that. Watching a game is pretty painful.

12 Last