TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

A dive in the Silva Sonnen fight?

Did Chael Sonnen take a dive? After watching in slow motion it was a phantom punch that brought him down, and then a deflected knee kind of landed to the body. Those were the 2 shots he talked about after the fight. None of the ground and pound prior to stoppage really landed.

Has an underdog ever taken a dive? Are you with me that those shots were nowhere near solid?

Soxsfan9
    Update your status
    Soxsfan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

No way, he got hit with a huge knee and then a right hand!

No dive what so ever!

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

It seemed to me it was stopped too fast.

But I'm no UFC expert.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Punch yourself in the the head....tell me if it hurts then times that by 10.

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

silva kneed a downed sonnen to the head(illegal). Chael missed a spinning punch and fell.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

No way that was not a dive. Silva was hurting him. Sonnen took some big shots.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Knee wasn't to the head but it landed in the chest. Strikes didn't seem very solid. I don't think Sonnen took a dive.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckG View Post
    Punch yourself in the the head....tell me if it hurts then times that by 10.
    Hold on let me put my padded gloves on...

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

knee catches the chin a bit.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

about three fixed fights tonight

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    Knee wasn't to the head but it landed in the chest. Strikes didn't seem very solid. I don't think Sonnen took a dive.
    It glanced the head. That was not at all the reason he lost as the damage mainly hit the body but the fight should of been stopped and Silva deducted a point.

barza01
    barza01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

It wasn't to the head, it was a knee to the chest...watch the replay. Even the announcers called it a legal blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papageorgio View Post
    silva kneed a downed sonnen to the head(illegal). Chael missed a spinning punch and fell.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I'd like to see anyone who thinks that was fixed take those blows and keep going.

Silva wasn't playing around and Sonnen was getting hammered in the second after he slipped.

The Bet Master

Quote Originally Posted by barza01 View Post
    It wasn't to the head, it was a knee to the chest...watch the replay. Even the announcers called it a legal blow.
    That 100% caught part of his chin.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by The Bet Master View Post
    It was definitely intended for the head, and got deflected downward. Very little impact IMO. The punch before it didn't even look to connect at all and Sonnen dropped straight down like he got kicked in the nose by a Wildebeast

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Silva's striking is so effortless it looks like he has nothing behind his punches. The fight vs. Griffin in my avatar, Silva knocked out Griffin with a jab while moving backwards and some what off balance. His striking is just on another level.

DublinMeUp
    DublinMeUp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 176

If silva wanted to knee him in the head he would have knee'd him in the head, now stop moaning

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    I'd like to see anyone who thinks that was fixed take those blows and keep going.

Silva wasn't playing around and Sonnen was getting hammered in the second after he slipped.
    I don't think it was fixed, but Sonnen wasn't getting stuck solid when on the ground. I just feel the ref stepped in a little to early.

No big deal to me either way.

Kaladarus

If it was to the head it would have been an illegal strike because Sonnen was a downed opponent.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

It glanced the head. That was not at all the reason he lost as the damage mainly hit the body but the fight should of been stopped and Silva deducted a point.
    Yeah I do agree that Silva intended on hitting the head with the knee.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

3 extremities have to be touching the max for the knee to be illegal, correct?

If that's the case, Sonnen would had to have had at least one hand on the mat when the knee landed to make it illegal.

I didn't see the fight so I'm not sure how it played out.

I remember in one of Kongos fight, the other fighter kept putting a hand on the mat just before Kongo would knee him. The ref actually stopped the fight and warned the other guy to "quit playing the game". But it was clear the knee wasn't illegal on a downed opponed until the hand was on the mat.

plankton43
    plankton43's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Tibau fight was fixed, in my opinion. I thought he decisively took two rounds, possibly won all three. Judges say he lost all three. I think Silva legitimately defeated Sonnen, nothing controversial at all.

TheCentaur

Look it wouldn't be the first time Sonnen did something shady:

Money laundering conviction
    On January 3, 2011, Sonnen pled guilty to money laundering in connection with mortgage fraud. After agreeing to testify against others involved in the investigation[43], he was fined $10,000 and sentenced to two years probation.[44]

CSAC Suspensions and Appeals
    conducted after his loss to Anderson Silva showed Sonnen had an unallowably high testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of 16.9:1 at the time of the fight. An average man has a T/E ratio of 1:1, and testing bodies may allow a ratio as high as 4:1 for athletes.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-09-14 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Link Not Working - Removed-)

Kaladarus

All you need is one knee or your hand on the ground to be considered a downed opponent.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    3 extremities have to be touching the max for the knee to be illegal, correct?

If that's the case, Sonnen would had to have had at least one hand on the mat when the knee landed to make it illegal.

I didn't see the fight so I'm not sure how it played out.

I remember in one of Kongos fight, the other fighter kept putting a hand on the mat just before Kongo would knee him. The ref actually stopped the fight and warned the other guy to "quit playing the game". But it was clear the knee wasn't illegal on a downed opponed until the hand was on the mat.
    I think your butt counts as all 3 downed extremities

The Bet Master

Quote Originally Posted by DublinMeUp View Post
    If silva wanted to knee him in the head he would have knee'd him in the head, now stop moaning
    Haha i don't care what he intended the fact is he glanced Sonnens chin and that's illegal.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

Quote Originally Posted by plankton43 View Post
    Tibau fight was fixed, in my opinion. I thought he decisively took two rounds, possibly won all three. Judges say he lost all three.
    That fight was absolutely without question a rigged decision.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I think your butt counts as all 3 downed extremities
    Ha.. Probably so. I wonder exactly how it's worded though. Gotta enforce the rules as they're written.

The Bet Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    That fight was absolutely without question a rigged decision.
    It was a terrible decision. I think it was just a case of bad judging though. They just gave it to him because he pressed him against the cage and they counted that as octagon control.

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post

Forget the punches, most of us would die of a heart attack from the exertion of trying to take Silva down. I think Sonnen got tired, just like the first fight (though 3 rounds earlier). He's probably off the roids.

The punches weren't clean, but Silva hits hard and they do have an effect. It didn't look anything like a dive to me.

DublinMeUp
    DublinMeUp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 176

Haha i don't care what he intended the fact is he glanced Sonnens chin and that's illegal.
    watch tito get knee'd in the chest then rewatch sonnen get knee'd in the chest, the only way it is classed as illegal is if the ref determines the intent was to knee the head, like when people get kicked in the balls. You're not legally allowed do it but once its accidental no action is taken

The Kraken

I'm not saying it was or wasn't, but it's reasonable that if someone was going to rig a fight, this would really be the only way to do it.

It only takes one fighter to rig when a fight ends. Chael could easily decide to lose in any round. Second round is the perfect time. Tell you buds to bet on Silva wins in 2nd round, get a + money bet and cash it. Only way this loses is if Silva wins in the 1st round.

Would be hard to prove.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    It only takes one fighter to rig when a fight ends. Chael could easily decide to lose in any round. Second round is the perfect time. Tell you buds to bet on Silva wins in 2nd round, get a + money bet and cash it. Only way this loses is if Silva wins in the 1st round.

Would be hard to prove.

Only thing is, where could you get the kind of money down that it cost Sonnen losing the fight as opposed to winning. Wonder what the purse difference is. He probably has a lot of shady friends though from his money laundering days that could get money down.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Fight wasn't fixed... Stopped too soon though...

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

sonnen definitely giftwrapped the second round for silva. dive or not, didn't look like anyone but sonnen was responsible for him ending up on his ass.

1234 Last