Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Net trade of Joe Johnson contingent on Deron Williams agreeing to stay with the Nets

So if Williams doesn't sign, this goes down the toilet? Don't see that often.

The Brooklyn Nets and Atlanta Hawks have agreed to terms on a deal that will bring Joe Johnson to New York, sources told ESPN.com.

The deal is contingent on Deron Williams agreeing to stay with the Nets.

The Hawks, according to sources, would get Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar, Jordan Williams, Johan Petro, DeShawn Stevenson (via sign-and-trade) and the Rockets' 2013 lottery protected first round pick.

The Nets, in addition to Johnson, retain the full $5 million mid-level exception (to sign Bosnian forward Mirza Teletovic) and their $1.95 million bi-annual exception to keep adding to their roster.

Brooklyn would also keep MarShon Brooks and the rights to free agent Gerald Green, while convincing Atlanta to take a first-round pick (via Houston), in this deal, sources said.

The Nets had been involved in discussions to acquire disgruntled center Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic but sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that the Magic front office "didn't want to dance" with the Nets.

This is despite Howard saying Monday that Brooklyn is the only team, were he to be traded there, with which he would sign an extension. The Nets were amenable to that earlier this year -- before Howard elected to waive his opt-out clause with Orlando.

"Dwight blew it in March," a source told Broussard. The Nets had hoped to expedite a deal for Howard and make his presence part of their pitch to Williams, apparently, but the Magic do not appear particularly eager to deal him to Brooklyn, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher. Further, Orlando is moving far more slowly than the Nets can afford as they attempt to show Williams that they will spare no expense or effort to build a title-contending roster.

Johnson, a six-time All-Star, has been derided as not having lived up to the six-year, $119 million contract he signed two years ago, but he remains one of the top five-shooting guards in the league.

Williams, who is deciding whether to stay with the Nets or join the Dallas Mavericks, met with the Mavericks earlier Monday and met with the Nets on Monday evening.

The Nets, depleted of talent after acquiring Williams from the Utah Jazz at the 2011 February trade deadline and ravaged by injuries, were 22-44 last season.

If the Johnson acquisition convinces Williams to re-sign with the Nets for a maximum deal of five years and $109 million, sources say that would close the door on Howard joining them.

Brooklyn already has agreed to a four-year, $40 million deal with its other top unrestricted free agent, small forward Gerald Wallace. The Nets technically could work a sign-and-trade deal with Wallace when the official signing period begins on July 11, but sources say Wallace has been assured that is not the Nets' intention.

That would force Howard to revise his wish list, and a source said the Mavericks would move to the top. Howard's preferred destinations, when he first alerted the Magic that he wanted to be traded last season, were the Nets, Mavericks and Los Angeles Lakers, in that order. The Lakers, however, have fallen back into the mix of 28 other teams, said a source close to Howard.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

wow those are some horrible players the hawks would get in return but at least they'd shed johnson's contract

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    wow those are some horrible players the hawks would get in return but at least they'd shed johnson's contract
    That is hysterical. I just read an article on L. Ron Hubbard and I think the picture in your avatar is what they used.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Sources close to the process said Monday that the Nets have changed their stance and are preparing to go through with the trade whether or not Williams commits to Brooklyn.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Actually like hawks in this
    Johnson really isn't that good
    Morrow pretty much elite 3 point shooter
    Stevenson petro and farmar good bench and they get first rounder

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

But they are expendable pieces for nets easy to replace

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Good trade for both teams, like King says, players on Nets side are easily replaceable, they get their marque player to join with Howard and or Williams. Hawks get out of one of the worst contracts in the league and get some solid bench production. Jsmooth > Johnson anyway.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Does not make Nets better

Ball hog

Nets 30-52

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really want cuban to fail , so I want williams to stay with the nets

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    But they are expendable pieces for nets easy to replace
    expendable pieces of shit you mean, all players involved are horrific

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

A backcourt of Williams and Johnson looks nice on paper, but both players are losers. Neither have won anything in the NBA. Nets should have just held out and waited to land Howard.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    A backcourt of Williams and Johnson looks nice on paper, but both players are losers. Neither have won anything in the NBA. Nets should have just held out and waited to land Howard.
    Williams is far from a loser.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Gerald Wallace and joe Johnson don't help you win right away. Dwight Howard does and wants to play there. What an awful move. With Miami, Chicago, and Boston how could you make lateral moves and not go for the big sIgn. The nets will be completely subpar.

jjgold

Nets are not going anywhere unless they get Howard and Williams

Why they are going after Johnson is mind boggling

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Would love to see th reaction on fans faces when posters of Wallace, and Joe Johnson go up.

Brooklyn Nets 2013
    "Overpaid to Underperform"

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Would love to see th reaction on fans faces when posters of Wallace, and Joe Johnson go up.

Brooklyn Nets 2013
    "Overpaid to Underperform"
    Just shows you how much pressure there is to fill up a new stadium. Ask the Marlins.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Dwight Howard is a loser too and as is the majority of the NBA....

Should you only sign former NBA champions???

migz
    migz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 856

LOL, what a stupid move by the Nets. First, they dumped their first-round pick for Wallace, then they traded the players (expiring contracts which they acquired in multiple trades) for JJ. WTF, stupid front-office. It's Howard or nothing.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

migz youre such a good fukkin guy

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Nets have 4 all stars they are the favorites to win the east jj just trying to jinx it.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

If they don't get Howard, it's a Huge fukkin disappointment but Howard fukked up by opting in last season

Even so, Deron Williams- Marshawn Brooks- Joe Johnson- Gerald Wallace- Brook Lopez and Kris Humphries off the bench is still a very good team IMO

rm18
    Update your status

Gerald Green playing great ball at end of the year, I think Brooks will come off the bench

I mean Lopez, Humphries, Wallace, Johnson, williams starting though

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Gerald Green playing great ball at end of the year, I think Brooks will come off the bench

I mean Lopez, Humphries, Wallace, Johnson, williams starting though
    Really depends.....They have a lot of flexibility with Wallace, as he can play any position

Yeah Gerald Green is a great bench player as well, he was lighting it up at the end of last season......They can also sign another decent bench player, and Tyshawn Taylor could be a contributor as well backing up Deron

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

This is a horrible deal for the Nets, Johnson's contract is as bad as it gets and He is overpaid due to the lack of SG in the league. this contract will pretty much tie their hands for the next 4 years. But I'm glad Howard is out of the picture. I am sick of hearing about how he can't make up his mind. No offense but fckin grow up He is controlling an entire franchise because he took them to 1 NBA final and couldn't even win it. Start practicing free throws before you request a trade to Brooklyn every other month.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie1412 View Post
    Gerald Wallace and joe Johnson don't help you win right away. Dwight Howard does and wants to play there. What an awful move. With Miami, Chicago, and Boston how could you make lateral moves and not go for the big sIgn. The nets will be completely subpar.
    you are clueless about the nba. you predicted the bulls winning the last 2 championships and you faded the lakers in game 6 and 7 the year before that.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

If they still can bring back Mr. Kardashian, Deron re-signs and Brooke Lopez stays healthy this isn't a bad team on paper. They could contend for a #7 or #8 seed next year.

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Williams is far from a loser.
    Where has he won at? Last time I checked he clashed with Jerry Sloan, and drove him out of Utah. I watched a lot of DWill last year in NJ, and most of the times he looks like he doesn't care. The Nets were horrible last year, and their awful record showed for it. Isn't he considered their leader?

Williams is a really good player, but I never see him winning anything. He forced Jerry Sloan and himself out of Utah. Couldn't win for his life in NJ. How is he not a loser?

jjgold

Where has he won at? Last time I checked he clashed with Jerry Sloan, and drove him out of Utah. I watched a lot of DWill last year in NJ, and most of the times he looks like he doesn't care. The Nets were horrible last year, and their awful record showed for it. Isn't he considered their leader?

Williams is a really good player, but I never see him winning anything. He forced Jerry Sloan and himself out of Utah. Couldn't win for his life in NJ. How is he not a loser?
    BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is good but lacks killer and you cannot win in the nba if your not a fukkin killer

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Winner at Illinois, take a guess which team PickWinnerAllDay likes?

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Winner at Illinois, take a guess which team PickWinnerAllDay likes?
    He made it to the national championship game and came up short. Not sure i'd label him a winner. I don't see people calling Karl Malone or Charles Barkley "winners."

jjgold

Nets trying to get Howard AGAIN this AM

Offered a lot of players for him..Lopez, Brooks, Humphries..lots of 1st rounders

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

the deal for johnson is only good if you get dwight howard 2, then you have a pretty good nucleus. what they are offering gives orlando a decent chance to start over as well.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Did Mikhail prokhorov trade for a worthless cancer in Joe Johnson only to use him as a play for Howard?

jjgold

Howard key here

Nets ok if they get him

Solid 3 star core

rm18
    Update your status

Offensively the Nets the best team in basketball but not much defense though

12 Last