doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

KG to re-sign with Boston! 3 yrs $34 mil

Loving this deal. I know he's got miles, but this was obviously coming the way the Celts drafted and extending qualifying offer to KG. Keeping him at center will keep him fresh w/the appropriate backups behind him and time to groom these new guys coming in

There will be a lot of small ball being played in Boston though thats for sure

Best thing is, if he was truly considering retirement, and something does go wrong for KG healthwise or production wise he won't stick around just to collect a paycheck. He's too proud to go out getting punked by the up and comings. He'll go out on his terms so Boston really did get a good deal here

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

wow, 3 years eh?

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

whoops just made a thread, someone delete mine. I love KG. One of the best PF's of all time.

doylfish

^^^meant extending qualifying offer to stiemsma for backup

celtics team is really rounding into form for next year and we have plenty of cap space left right now still to sign just about whoever we want in free agency

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Celtics fan and I am undecided on how I feel. As much as I respect KG as a player, sometimes watching his attitude on the floor makes me sick.

doylfish

my worst fears would be that after the 'big 3' era was over the celtics would go back to their late nineties/pre-2007 ways (the way i grew up with them as a kid because i really only remember the injury seasons for bird, and that would've been awful to stomach. now i don't think there will really ever be a rebuild period for the celts if the cards play out right. i think ainge is a very underrated GM and not because i'm a homer

doylfish

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Celtics fan and I am undecided on how I feel. As much as I respect KG as a player, sometimes watching his attitude on the floor makes me sick.
    i agree 100%. one of those guys that gets under your skin the way he acts even when he's on your own team. like a-rod, noah, kobe, but you love the way they produce for you, and you'd absolutely hate them if you're the opposing fan

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by doylfish View Post
    i agree 100%. one of those guys that gets under your skin the way he acts even when he's on your own team. like a-rod, noah, kobe, but you love the way they produce for you, and you'd absolutely hate them if you're the opposing fan
    Why? I've been a Heat fan since 2003 when they acquired Wade but Bryant and KG have always been two of my favorites. I just love the way KG plays. Never been a PF that has ever played like Garnett. He does talk a lot of shit and is a sore loser too, but he is a winner and when he retires probably one of the greatest 25 players in nba history.

doylfish

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Why? I've been a Heat fan since 2003 when they acquired Wade but Bryant and KG have always been two of my favorites. I just love the way KG plays. Never been a PF that has ever played like Garnett. He does talk a lot of shit and is a sore loser too, but he is a winner and when he retires probably one of the greatest 25 players in nba history.
    i love the way he plays, yes, but it is the shit-talking that gets a little out of control sometimes. i mean that's ball, everyone does it, but KG takes it to the uncomfortable level sometimes. like that villanueva thing about the cancer if that was true that's an example of going over the top. i feel like it hurts the team sometimes too because it pisses off the opponent so much that it can cause like what happened with lebron in boston game 6 just blowing us out of the water.

that's what you get when you're super competitive though. i love when he swats attempts out of the way after the whistle, little things like that, just thinks he lets his emotions get ahead of himself sometimes.

Monte
    Monte's Avatar Become A Pro!

Come on it's the NBA, bullshit talk is part of it.

Goat Milk

i love the way he plays, yes, but it is the shit-talking that gets a little out of control sometimes. i mean that's ball, everyone does it, but KG takes it to the uncomfortable level sometimes. like that villanueva thing about the cancer if that was true that's an example of going over the top. i feel like it hurts the team sometimes too because it pisses off the opponent so much that it can cause like what happened with lebron in boston game 6 just blowing us out of the water.

that's what you get when you're super competitive though. i love when he swats attempts out of the way after the whistle, little things like that, just thinks he lets his emotions get ahead of himself sometimes.
    yeah agree. he invented that swatting thing and everyone does it now. i think he was the first one to do the powder toss, i could be wrong. He pretty much put an end to Charlie V's career with that statement. He never recovered.

Only a few guys in the game today that will go down as better players than garnett. Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Duncan, maybe Durant if he keeps up this pace. I think that's it.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14840

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Maybe I'm a homer, but I like to think he's not really saying cruel stuff to opponents -- hopefully that Charlie V thing was misconstrued, or even if it wasn't, maybe it was just something he let slip and regretted.

I really think that most of the time the guy is just talking nonsense, and it doesn't really bother opponents, they just get a chuckle out of how intense he is.

And trash talk aside, this guy is such a perfect pro athlete -- TOTALLY committed to winning and knows what it takes to be ready, especially come playoff time; a great teammate, really and truly cares about his teammates and coaches like it's a real FAMILY; TOTALLY improves the play of those around him, lifts his teammates when they need that and gets on their ass when they need that... just an awesome Celtic, one of the greats.

bleek88
    The picture of me on SBR is FAKE NOT ME
    bleek88's Avatar Become A Pro!

overrrrpaiddddd

doylfish

^^^
    good post

like he's said before, bball is all he knows, it's what he does. i can think of a few more boston athletes that would benefit from taking their job as seriously as him (josh beckett ah-hem)

ask the people of concord mass (where KG has been living the past 5 years) how many time's he's been spotted around town. basically non-existent, the guy lives in the gym in waltham and the Garden

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

^^^
    good post

like he's said before, bball is all he knows, it's what he does. i can think of a few more boston athletes that would benefit from taking their job as seriously as him (josh beckett ah-hem)

ask the people of concord mass (where KG has been living the past 5 years) how many time's he's been spotted around town. basically non-existent, the guy lives in the gym in waltham and the Garden
    Between KG and Allen, even maybe Pierce, the C's have some of the most well-conditioned older athletes ever, and all on one team. I think Bob Ryan said it best when he said last year was "year 5 of the Celtics' brass' 3-year-plan" LOL. Next season will be Year 6!

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

this is good news
    but i don't see Ray Allen going anywhere but Phoenix Suns.
    word is they may offer him 20 million to finish his career there.
    I would enjoy Ray playing for the Suns
    going to be nice for OVERS !!

bleek88
    The picture of me on SBR is FAKE NOT ME
    bleek88's Avatar Become A Pro!

^ dude do u smoke crack?

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

That's a lot of money and years for a guy who is getting pretty old. He looked pretty good this past year, but we all know that when you get into your mid 30's, you can age 5 years over night. I have a hard time imagining him staying real productive 2-3 years from now.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

3 years too many

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    That's a lot of money and years for a guy who is getting pretty old. He looked pretty good this past year, but we all know that when you get into your mid 30's, you can age 5 years over night. I have a hard time imagining him staying real productive 2-3 years from now.
    I'm not sure of the details, but I'm guessing the contract is somewhat backloaded? So that if he goes down in quality (or goes down literally), the C's don't have to pay all 34 mil. Also for cap space on the current team. But who knows, you need a friggin masters in economics to understand that shit anyway.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by LostBankroll View Post
    3 years too many
    Yeah, right, okay. Guess you didn't watch him average 19 and 10 in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Capybara; 06-30-12 at 08:31 PM.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

With his experience the refs will give him more calls. I think he will 'calm' down his style and be a team leader.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

his agent was asking 2 years $40M on the open market, so the celtics did ok here not the greatest move though

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    his agent was asking 2 years $40M on the open market, so the celtics did ok here not the greatest move though
    lol Wade and Lebron make even a little less than 20 mil a year, garnett is lucky to get a 3 year deal like this.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

didn't say he wasn't lucky, not in love with the signing myself, but the celtics are banking on the fact that he can help develop their new young guys. year 3 on this deal will be all gravy for kg.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    didn't say he wasn't lucky, not in love with the signing myself, but the celtics are banking on the fact that he can help develop their new young guys. year 3 on this deal will be all gravy for kg.
    THAT'S why I love the signing -- it's just as big a deal as what he contributes on the floor. There's no coach who could get the lessons through to them quite the way KG will be able to.

doylfish

the deal is a bargain this upcoming season, probably market value next season, and will be a bit overpaid the last season. the thing is, if KG feels he is not holding up his end he will not stick around. will not. he'll be out early like rasheed was. it's not about the money for KG, obviously. guy just wants to win. if this deal goes all 3 years then it means it's worth it and that he and the Celts are doing good things.

obviously this is all based on health, but he sure looked healthy this past year, finally, for the first time in a good couple seasons since the knee problem.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Good move
    Boston will still be pretty good

GroundnPound
    Winning
    GroundnPound's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

He can still ball but maybe 7 million a year would of been a better amount.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Bad decision by Boston. He manned up and brought everything he had for the playoffs, but he is in steep decline and just can't move like he used to. He might be able to do similar next season, maybe, but for 3 years? I highly doubt it.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Celtics are doomed, too old and getting older, no chance to compete with the young teams of Chicago and Miami anymore, they got a team which can make it through the 1st rd of the playoffs (Chicago woulda schooled em had they not injured all their players) and they are making no attempt to build a future championship team, team will suck for 3 years then drop off the planet

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

the deal is a bargain this upcoming season, probably market value next season, and will be a bit overpaid the last season. the thing is, if KG feels he is not holding up his end he will not stick around. will not. he'll be out early like rasheed was. it's not about the money for KG, obviously. guy just wants to win. if this deal goes all 3 years then it means it's worth it and that he and the Celts are doing good things.

obviously this is all based on health, but he sure looked healthy this past year, finally, for the first time in a good couple seasons since the knee problem.
    Yeah, I agree with this, BUT, wouldn't the C's still have to pay him?? Didn't they still have to pay Rasheed?

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Celtics are doomed, too old and getting older, no chance to compete with the young teams of Chicago and Miami anymore, they got a team which can make it through the 1st rd of the playoffs (Chicago woulda schooled em had they not injured all their players) and they are making no attempt to build a future championship team, team will suck for 3 years then drop off the planet
    What the fukk are you talking about? The backcourt is young and athletic with Rondo and Bradley. And they just drafted the future frontcourt. Not to mention Jeff Green and other guys who missed the whole year due to injury or weren't quite ready to contribute yet. What do you want them to do? There's no one out there available who's young and even CLOSE to what KG can give them. Like dolyfish said, KG was actually BETTER last year since his knee had finally healed up.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    What the fukk are you talking about? The backcourt is young and athletic with Rondo and Bradley. And they just drafted the future frontcourt. Not to mention Jeff Green and other guys who missed the whole year due to injury or weren't quite ready to contribute yet. What do you want them to do? There's no one out there available who's young and even CLOSE to what KG can give them. Like dolyfish said, KG was actually BETTER last year since his knee had finally healed up.
    Of course we all know about Rondo, Bradley is overrated, Green sucks and the future frontcourt is garbage, have fun fallin off the earth with those 40 year old vets. Needed to go after a guy like Howard, need the superstars to have a championship team not fukin Green and Bradley...so sorry

12 Last