Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

How Much Work Does David Ortiz need to Do to Get into the HOF?

Will be 37 in November, doesn't seem to be slowing down now after recovering from sub-par 08 and 09 campaigns...

if he played up to and including age 40, that gives him 4.5 years. would 101 more HR's get him in with 500?

would you vote him in with 2200 hits 475 Hrs .275-.285 lifetime BA?

Ratpack
    Ratpack's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1789

he wont already questioned for doing steroids plus never played a position no dh has ever got into the hof
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

good points Ratty...

I couldn't remember if he for sure had used steroids.... that is gonna be a weird gray area for guys that were highly suspicious but not actually proved to have done PEDS

Do you think Jim Thome gets in? he played alot more 1b so not a great example...

Edgar Martinez gets in eventually, and I think he played more DH than anyone

jlee
    jlee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I'd like to see him get in... he's one of the good guys in baseball, even though everyone hates the red sox, ortiz is one of those character guys that you'd like watching.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I would never vote him in myself, doubt he ever makes it.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Doubt he makes it.

soxwin
    soxwin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7162

Ortiz has to hit another 150 HR to even be considered. I doubt he will play long enough to get there. He started piling up his stats too late in his career to get there.

DH is a position, like being a closer, that will take a long time get the proper consideration for HOF. Someone really needs to stand out to break the barrier.

Hopefully now that there are a few relievers in the HOF, that barrier has been broken. DH is the next part of the game that needs to be given it's due. Very few take defense into consideration when thinking of HOF candidates so I don't get the big deal about the stigma of not playing defense

Edgar Martinez is the 1st Dh that people think of as being possibly HOF worthy. He started piling up his stats when he was 32 YRS old His #'s are nice but they really don't stand out. Career #'s of 7 AS games .312 BA 2247 hits 309 HR 1247 RBI isn't going to cut it considering the offensive era he played in. He was only in the top 10 of MVP voting 2X. He started out as a 3rd baseman but was injured so often, that a move to full time DH was necessary.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chi_archie

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

If he gets in B4 Edgar, then burn the HOF

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

He's a DH and even without anything else I doubt he would get in. Throw in his steroids issue and his chances are slim to none.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Just being in a certain uniform is worth something. Lakers, Celtics, Red Sox, Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, etc. Papi gets in if he hits 450 home runs with those two worlds series rings as a Red sock.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

what was the breakdown of DH vs 1b starts for Frank Thomas?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

speaking of Thome..... traded to the Orioles...

I'd love to see him help them make a great pennant run!

hopefully he'd get back together with mugs mom too!

pro-style
    pro-style's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

Neither Thome or Ortiz have a shot. You need around 75 WAR to get in and they are both around ~35 WAR. it's really not even close.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

no shot for Jim Thome?

I agree with your war assessment...

but remember its writers voting on this.... the writers LOVE gym and will be blinded by his HR numbers and intangibles...