Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Investment Talk: What will be valuable 20 years from now???

So I am in the process of probably making long term investments with the goal of growing at 5% each year. Now this does seem like a generally achievable task. These are hopefully safe investments with little to no risk, in the sense that they have a small chance to depreciate.

An example is I just bought a 1995 Chevy suburban, it can seat 9. It has a year old transmission that cost $2,000 to install. The truck is in great condition, runs great, vortex engine, 15 or so mpg, blah blah blah.
    I spent $3,000 on the vehicle. The modest goal is for the vehicle to be worth at least $8,000 in 20 years. Is this a good investment? Could it be worth $20,000 at some point?

What would y'all recommend with the idea that the world will still exist in its current form? How much has really changed since 1992? Maybe buying stock in a company like Coca-Cola that will be around? Maybe a high dividend stock (although relatively high risk here) ? Should I buy land without sewer access around cities/towns that should likely grow within the next 20 years in the hope that the city will bring the sewer towards the land? Land will always be valuable, right? Should I just play the dow or S&P etf?

Many long term opportunities out there in this current market, the question is what are they?
    SBR, I need advice!!!!
    Last edited by Inkwell77; 06-13-12 at 11:36 PM.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7292

You might consider bonds if you are looking for a constant return with limited risk. Municipal bonds are favor because of their tax benefits. Having a financial professional build a portfolio of different diversified investments should allow you to most certainly achieve that 5% yield your looking for. That isn't really that high of a goal.

Investing in cars might not be a good way to save. You don't know what emission standards or safety standards or anything like that will be in 20 years. It might not be legal to drive. On top of that, we might not be using gasoline in 20 years. All cars might be natural gas, requiring you to retrofit it in order for someone to use it. Consumer tastes might change away from big cars and the like, how many people are going to think of a Chevy suburban as a classic car and attribute value to it?

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I put a huge chunk of my portfolio in IBM 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Pretty shitty reasoning though. Has paid off though.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Gold

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Diamonds, classic time pieces and some art are sound investments over extended periods of time.

grekos
    grekos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13316

Not sure how your truck gets 15 mpg but long term buy farm land.

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

silver...it is more popular than ever and there are estimates that there is only enough silver in the Earth's crust to mine for 16 more years. it is roughly $28.50 per oz now...was only $5 like 10 or so years ago. Throughout history it has been about 1/15th the price of gold and right now it is 1/56th the price of gold. It is going to catch up to ~1/15 soon enough
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Grits n' Gravy

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    silver...it is more popular than ever and there are estimates that there is only enough silver in the Earth's crust to mine for 16 more years. it is roughly $28.50 per oz now...was only $5 like 10 or so years ago. Throughout history it has been about 1/15th the price of gold and right now it is 1/56th the price of gold. It is going to catch up to ~1/15 soon enough
    Don't buy Silver ETFs though...only buy the actual physical thing. I believe I have read that more ETFs have been sold than should have been and you don't want to be stuck with a worthless piece of crap.

ALSO: possibly the most important part of my rambling on....

China's banks recently started stock piling silver, not only gold. It will be a short time until other countries do as well and they will start hoarding the silver, making it rarer/worth more

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Water and food sources.... You see the global population predictions? Did you know countries are already leading land for farming in foreign countries?

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    Started buying silver when it was 13.50 an ounce and have absolutely no initiative to sell it now, perhaps when it gets north of the $50 it hit a year ago I'll take another look.

Would buy another couple hundred ounces if I had the cash right now, $29 is still cheap. As in you'll double your investment in ten years, possibly less, cheap.

Inkwell77

Quote Originally Posted by grekos View Post
    Not sure how your truck gets 15 mpg but long term buy farm land.
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 4WD 8 cyl, 5.7 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular Gasoline
    11 City 12
    Combined
    14Highway $4700per year

You're right, he wasn't sure but said around 15 on a highway.

Inkwell77

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    You might consider bonds if you are looking for a constant return with limited risk. Municipal bonds are favor because of their tax benefits. Having a financial professional build a portfolio of different diversified investments should allow you to most certainly achieve that 5% yield your looking for. That isn't really that high of a goal.

Investing in cars might not be a good way to save. You don't know what emission standards or safety standards or anything like that will be in 20 years. It might not be legal to drive. On top of that, we might not be using gasoline in 20 years. All cars might be natural gas, requiring you to retrofit it in order for someone to use it. Consumer tastes might change away from big cars and the like, how many people are going to think of a Chevy suburban as a classic car and attribute value to it?
    Solid points.

Maybe a diesel is a decent option because one can convert to veggie oil relatively easily, just a few fuel pipe issues.

One of the original ideas of investing was with the idea that car companies may continue the trend of smaller and smaller vehicles. Possibly even restricting companies from building such large trucks that fit many individuals. Driving a Suburban will always be cooler than driving a van, with the possible exception of a volkswagon van or possibly a conversion van.

I think the idea of safety in large cars/trucks will always exist, and a lot of seating is also a positive for a variety of people. Will that type of Suburban ever be cool, I have no idea, but there are a few points but as you have stated there are definitely counter-points going against that type of investment.

Farm land does seem like a great investment, especially if you can swing it close-ish to a city/town.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

toilet paper

Inkwell77

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    I put a huge chunk of my portfolio in IBM 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Pretty shitty reasoning though. Has paid off though.
    Hard to trust any sort of tech for a long term investment although there will be some that will explode and will return ridiculous, fuk, facebook could be it if they figure out how to excel at other sort of ventures the way they have at building a social network. It's hard to go against a platform that has billions and billions of views daily although viewing facebook as a bubble is extremely tempting.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

invest in good pussy. it gets harder as you get older.

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

invest in an annuity. Interest rates are low now, but you should probably be able to find one that will guarantee you 5%.

Or, invest in a fund that rises with the s&p/DOW. market tends to rise about 8-9% a year on average. For a long term investment, diversify it throughout the market (s&p) and watch your money be bigger in 20-30 years.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Investing in a chevy suburban.....fukkin lol.