t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Why you shouldn't be rooting for the Thunder...

http://www.thenation.com/blog/168311...-city-thunder#

Why We Should All Root for the Miami Heat

Dave Zirin on June 11, 2012 - 12:09 AM ET
    The 2012 NBA finals presents more than a match-up of two young, exciting, athletic teams. They present a rooting litmus test. In one corner, we have the Miami Heat, a team scorned for being built around a hastily assembled group of free-agent all-stars Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and the great LeBron James. No player in NBA history has been scrutinized, picked apart and even despised quite like James. The three-time MVP’s unforgivable crime, now two years old, was neither a felony nor misdemeanor nor even a bad attitude. It was his awkwardly managed departure from the Cleveland Cavaliers and “taking [his] talents to South Beach.” He also earns arrows of anger for his alleged inability to step up his game when the game is on the line. In addition, his patchwork Miami team in the eyes of many is as plastic, superficial and empty as the city they call home.
    In the other corner, we have the Oklahoma City Thunder, a small market franchise beloved by the sports media and fans for “doing it the right way.” They drafted beautifully and evolved organically toward greatness. They are also led by Kevin Durant, the NBA’s most endearing superstar. The “Durantula” is only 23 but already has three scoring titles, and he absolutely lusts for the big moment. He also, unlike LeBron, signed a long-term contract to stay in a small market because he wanted to take the team that drafted him to a title.

With such seemingly opposite teams and stars, the media are already writing the 2012 finals script of “good vs. evil.” It’s an easy, by-the-numbers narrative. It’s also bizarro world bullshit. This is one case where good is evil and the evil in question resides in shadows where fans choose not to look.

I would argue that how we choose to see the Heat and Thunder is a litmus test. It’s a litmus test that reveals how the sports radio obsession with villainizing twenty-first-century athletes blinds us to the swelling number of villains who inhabit the owner’s box. And in Oklahoma City, we have the kinds of sports owners whose villainy should never be forgotten.

Strip away the drama and the Heat are called “evil” because their star players exercised free agency and—agree or disagree with their decision—took control of their own careers. The Thunder are praised for doing it the “right way,” but no franchise is more caked in original sin than the team from Oklahoma City. Their owners, Clay Bennett and Aubrey McClendon, with an assist from NBA Commissioner David Stern, stole their team with the naked audacity of Frank and Jesse James from the people of Seattle.
    For non-NBA fans, as recently as 2008 the OKC Thunder were the Seattle Supersonics, a team of great tradition, flare and fan support. They were Slick Watts’s headband, Jack Sikma’s perm and Gary Payton’s scowl. They were a beloved team in a basketball town. Then the people of Seattle committed an unpardonable offense in the eyes of David Stern. They loved their team but refused to pay for a new taxpayer funded $300 million arena. Seattle’s citizens voted down referendums, organized meetings and held rallies with the goal of keeping the team housed in a perfectly good building called the KeyArena. Despite a whirlwind of threats, the people of Seattle wouldn’t budge, so Stern made an example of them. Along with Supersonics team owner and Starbucks founder Howard Schultz—who could have paid for his own new arena with latte profits alone—Stern recruited two Oklahoma City–based billionaires, Clay Bennett and Aubrey McClendon, to buy the team and manipulate their forcible extraction from Seattle to OKC.

Stern is a political liberal who has sat on the board of the NAACP. Bennett and McLendon are big Republican moneymen whose hobby is funding anti-gay referendums. Yet these three men are united in their addiction to our tax dollars. In Oklahoma City, where rivers of corporate welfare awaited an NBA franchise, Stern, Bennett and McClendon had found their Shangri-La.
    Bennett, Stern and McClendon lied repeatedly that they would make every effort to keep the team in Seattle, McClendon however gave the game away in 2007, when he said to the Oklahoma City Journal Record, “We didn’t buy the team to keep it in Seattle, we hoped to come here…. We started to look around and at that time the Sonics were going through some ownership challenges in Seattle. So Clay, very artfully and skillfully, put himself in the middle of those discussions and to the great amazement and surprise to everyone in Seattle, some rednecks from Oklahoma, which we’ve been called, made off with the team.”

While Bennett said all the right things about keeping the Sonics in Seattle, a team executive dinner on September 9, 2006, tells you all you need to know about the man and his motives. On that fine evening, the Sonics management, all held over from the previous ownership regime, all Pacific Northwesters, gathered in Oklahoma to meet the new boss. Bennett made sure they were sent to a top restaurant, and picked up the bill. As the Seattle execs sat down, four plates of a deep fried appetizer were put on the table. After filling their mouths with the crispy goodness, one asked the waitress what this curious dish with a nutty flavor actually was. It was lamb testicles. Bennett laughed at their discomfort and the message was clear: the Sonics could eat his balls. (See Sonicsgate.com for a full accounting of this theft.)

If the Thunder win the 2012 title, the Clay Bennett/David Stern approach will be lionized throughout pro sports. The theft of the Sonics will be justified and cities involved in stadium negotiations will be threatened with being “the next Seattle” if they don’t acquiesce to the whims of the sporting 1 percent. A championship for the Thunder would be a victory for holding up cities for public money. It would be a victory for ripping out the hearts of loyal sports towns. It would be a victory for greed, collusion and a corporate crime that remains unprosecuted.

Clay Bennett and Aubrey McClendon don’t deserve anyone’s cheers. I don’t just want the Thunder to lose. I want LeBron James to make them wish they’d never left the Emerald City. That is why no matter how much you dislike the ill-fitting “Dream Team” in South Beach, or swoon at the sight of Kevin Durant, anyone who cares about the relationship of teams to their cities and decries the way pro sports is used as an instrument of corporate looting should know who to root for and whom to root against. Without equivocation, all true NBA fans, in the name of Slick Watts, should sound three words this championship season: “Let’s go Heat.”
    Points Awarded:

PAYTON20 gave t-wizzle 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PAYTON20

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Good read.

GO Thunder!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Kraken

probettor1
    probettor1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Could you please summarize that. There is a reason why we are here instead of reading books.

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by probettor1 View Post
    Could you please summarize that. There is a reason why we are here instead of reading books.
    It didn't seem that long until I copied and pasted it.

It honestly takes about 3 minutes to read.

probettor1

You made me read that crap. Summarizing:

A championship for the Thunder would be a victory for holding up cities for public money. It would be a victory for ripping out the hearts of loyal sports towns. It would be a victory for greed, collusion and a corporate crime that remains unprosecuted.

Clay Bennett and Aubrey McClendon don’t deserve anyone’s cheers. I don’t just want the Thunder to lose. I want LeBron James to make them wish they’d never left the Emerald City.
    Points Awarded:

leeloo gave probettor1 4 SBR Point(s) for this post.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Don't care what the thunder owners did. I don't cheer for lebron james EVER. I hate him.
    Points Awarded:

djpremier36 gave lakerboy 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

interesting...i still don't fukn care who wins...fuk the NBA

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

So we should root for Lebron since he was too much of a pussy to try and win a title on his own and he had to join up with two all-stars?

That's lame.

Also, the people of Seattle don't have anyone to blame but themselves. Their owner sold the team to an OKC business man when everyone knew OKC wanted a team. The mayor of Seattle broke the lease. The people of Seattle voted no on a new arena.

Clay Bennett is a smart business man. He saw a bad situation in Seattle and knew the team wasn't going to get a new arena. He bought them knowing full well the liberals in Seattle wouldn't finance a new arena. Then he brought the team to OKC where they have sold out every game, even when they started 2-23 their first season here.

Lebron doesn't compare to all-time greats like Kobe and Jordan. Do you think Jordan would have want to join up with other players to make it easier? Hell, Kobe wanted to get rid of Shaq to prove he could do it on his own. While I hate Kobe, I can at least respect him as a competitor.

t-wizzle

What is with the intense hatred for Lebron James? Isn't enough enough?

I have been critical of this guy for YEARS. Long before the end of his run in Cleveland. Of course I thought the whole Decision was stupid and I despise some of his antics but the hatred for this guy has gone way over the top. He's not even a bad dude. Try and tell me he is a worse person than Kobe Bryant. And I love Kobe the player.

Why does anybody care if he left Cleveland? The fukk does he owe that shithole of a town?

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

last year was big maverics fan

this year big thunder fan

pretty much just root against lebron every year

thunder a likable young team, what's the problem with liking them?

lakerboy

Wizzler why you selling out pal? James antics while he was with cleveland is the reason I hate him. Dancing and acting like an idiot with those other losers around him.

I think Durant is a great role model. Guys like Durant win multiple titles. I will never stop laughing if Lebron loses to okc.
    Points Awarded:

BigDofBA gave lakerboy 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

probettor1

Lebron is to be hated, great body, huge dick, best basketball in town, bunch af millions, fame, play basketball all day long, any pussy he wants. I gotta hate him, I dont have any of those and I have to work so many hours that I cant even play basketball, then fat and broke. and only one pussy.
    Points Awarded:

samdapatriotsfan gave probettor1 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Redscot
    Redscot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5802

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post

I have been critical of this guy for YEARS. Long before the end of his run in Cleveland. Of course I thought the whole Decision was stupid and I despise some of his antics but the hatred for this guy has gone way over the top. He's not even a bad dude. Try and tell me he is a worse person than Kobe Bryant. And I love Kobe the player.
    Why does anybody care if he left Cleveland? The fukk does he owe that shithole of a town?
    Yeah man, it has become en vogue to just hate this dude. I agree, he may be a coddled pro, but so are the majority of athletes in this day and age. He doesn't have 6 kids by 6 different women, hasn't beat up any broads, been pretty squeaky clean really accept for some bad judgement in his public relations. I am NOT a fan, but I do feel for the dude sometimes because he has painted himself into a corner that is tough to get out of. Bottom line, guy is a phenomenal ball player, and probably a decent dude for the most part. Time for people to let go. He carried Cleveland pretty damn close to the promised land with a shit supporting cast.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Wizzler why you selling out pal? James antics while he was with cleveland is the reason I hate him. Dancing and acting like an idiot with those other losers around him.

I think Durant is a great role model. Guys like Durant win multiple titles. I will never stop laughing if Lebron loses to okc.
    Durant makes game winning shots in the playoffs and acts like it's nothing. Then the dude hugs his mamma, puts on his nerdy clothes, and goes about his business. What's not to like about that? OKC sucked three years ago. Their first year here they started off like 2-23. Durant never looked for a trade or an easy way out. He just kept grinding.

Lebron makes sure he is the center of attention before the game when he throws his chalk in the air. Then he acts like a hard ass when he is dunking on people. Then in crunch time (final minute or so) if the game is close he either defers to Wade, passes to Chalmers, or bricks a shot. It's like he doesn't want to be the guy. He was scared to take the final shot in an all-star game.

I hate Kobe but I have a lot more respect for Bryant than I do James. Players like Kobe and Jordan live for those moments. Lebron lives for filling up the stat sheet when the game isn't on the line.

I admit that Lebron is the most gifted player in the world but the way he went to Miami and the cockiness just rubs me the wrong way. You would never see Jordan or Kobe looking for an easier way to get a ring. They're too big of competitors. I also don't want to hear about how good Pippen was. Jordan made that guy who he was. When Jordan wasn't in the league. Pippen was half the player.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: InTheDrink

t-wizzle

I hear you I hated him for the same reasons as well along with other reasons but it's just old now. At the end of the day, what do I get out of hating a guy? Is it really going to bring joy to see him lose again? I've already seen it happen enough. Eventually it was going to become his time and I think that time is now. I am still critical of his game particularly when he shoots too much from the perimeter but overall he is a phenomenal player and I can respect that.

I think Durant is soft and I think people will realize that in these Finals. The guy gets a pass even though half the time at the ends of games he disappears but the other half he is great.

Big picture: I'm not buying this whole Good vs. Evil storyline that is being portrayed in this Final and that is why I posted this article. I think the villain thing is a bunch of b.s.

hydrosmak
    Update your status
    hydrosmak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 471

It's his hometown. Has not as much to do with him leaving but how he left. It was like texting your girlfriend you've been with for years that it's over...

t-wizzle

Quote Originally Posted by hydrosmak View Post
    It's his hometown. Has not as much to do with him leaving but how he left. It was like texting your girlfriend you've been with for years that it's over...
    Sorry if I offended you with the Cleveland comment. But who cares? Why should a guy feel like he needs to stay in Cleveland his whole life?

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    He carried Cleveland pretty damn close to the promised land with a shit supporting cast.
    Cleveland didn't have a shit cast.

Moe Williams
    Varejao
    Jamison
    Big Z at center
    Shannon Brown
    Daniel Gibson
    Lebron

They had over 50 wins two years in a row. I think it was a nicely constructed team where as the Heat are three stars and a bunch of guys that feel in.

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    So we should root for Lebron since he was too much of a pussy to try and win a title on his own and he had to join up with two all-stars?

That's lame.

Also, the people of Seattle don't have anyone to blame but themselves. Their owner sold the team to an OKC business man when everyone knew OKC wanted a team. The mayor of Seattle broke the lease. The people of Seattle voted no on a new arena.

Clay Bennett is a smart business man. He saw a bad situation in Seattle and knew the team wasn't going to get a new arena. He bought them knowing full well the liberals in Seattle wouldn't finance a new arena. Then he brought the team to OKC where they have sold out every game, even when they started 2-23 their first season here.

Lebron doesn't compare to all-time greats like Kobe and Jordan. Do you think Jordan would have want to join up with other players to make it easier? Hell, Kobe wanted to get rid of Shaq to prove he could do it on his own. While I hate Kobe, I can at least respect him as a competitor.
    1. If Lebron had shaq and phil jackson on his team the guy would've won 5 championship by now.

2. Remember that the Thunder is a team that was STOLEN from the good people of Seattle. You lied, cheated and defrauded to get them.

3. No way in HELL will OKC win the Finals because most new teams go through terrible growing pains before they start making it into the playoff let alone into the finals. you guys didn't do that, you got a fresh new half decent team that you STOLE.
    Points Awarded:

PAYTON20 gave SteelRain 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

hydrosmak
    Update your status

Sorry if I offended you with the Cleveland comment. But who cares? Why should a guy feel like he needs to stay in Cleveland his whole life?
    Not a huge Cavs fan so no offense taken. Still like I said it was how he did it. Cavs fans figured there was a chance he was going to leave but the way he did it made it worse. I am guessing if he could do it again it wouldn't be a huge TV spectacle. Could be wrong though...

BigDofBA

I think Durant is soft and I think people will realize that in these Finals. The guy gets a pass even though half the time at the ends of games he disappears but the other half he is great.
    That's funny because I think Lebron is soft. All the dude does is choke and defer when it's onions time. Durant on the other hand, steps into shots with confidence and buries them.

You're comment about Durant disappearing is pretty dumb considering he has probably hit more game winning shots in this year's playoffs than Lebron has in his entire life. Durant also hit game winners during the regular season.

Durant

- Game winner against Dallas
    - Game winner on the road against LA
    - Scored 16 straight in the final 4 minutes to finish off the Spurs in game 4.

The Thunder are 12-3 in this year's playoffs in the better conference. Which games did Durant disappear in?

Redscot
    Redscot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5802

Cleveland didn't have a shit cast.

Moe Williams
    Varejao
    Jamison
    Big Z at center
    Shannon Brown
    Daniel Gibson
    Lebron

They had over 50 wins two years in a row. I think it was a nicely constructed team where as the Heat are three stars and a bunch of guys that feel in.
    BigD, I respect your posts bro, you are consistently a positive force on this site, and the well constructed angle is well taken, but please review that list and show me another team with that type of "supporting" cast that has made the finals. There is barely even the 3rd piece to a championship team in that bunch, nonetheless a second fiddle bro.

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

Quote Originally Posted by hydrosmak View Post
    It's his hometown.
    nope, Akron is his hometown, people from Akron hate Cleveland.

Brush up on your sports facts son.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
    1. If Lebron had shaq and phil jackson on his team the guy would've won 5 championship by now.

2. Remember that the Thunder is a team that was STOLEN from the good people of Seattle. You lied, cheated and defrauded to get them.

3. No way in HELL will OKC win the Finals because most new teams go through terrible growing pains before they start making it into the playoff let alone into the finals. you guys didn't do that, you got a fresh new half decent team that you STOLE.
    Lebron wouldn't have 5 titles.

The people of Seattle cried after they voted no on a new arena.

OKC went through growing pains the last two years.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

lol @ losers hating on lebron. i want okc to win since i'll be betting on them but some people are too emotionally attached to athletes. give it a rest people. do you think lebron cares how you idiots feel? basketball is a fuckin game, they play well and they get paid for it. we watch it, bet on them, and enjoy it.

t-wizzle

That's funny because I think Lebron is soft. All the dude does is choke and defer when it's onions time. Durant on the other hand, steps into shots with confidence and buries them.

You're comment about Durant disappearing is pretty dumb considering he has probably hit more game winning shots in this year's playoffs than Lebron has in his entire life. Durant also hit game winners during the regular season.

Durant

- Game winner against Dallas
    - Game winner on the road against LA
    - Scored 16 straight in the final 4 minutes to finish off the Spurs in game 4.

The Thunder are 12-3 in this year's playoffs in the better conference. Which games did Durant disappear in?
    You are a blind homer. I can only argue with objective viewers who actually understand the game a little bit.

lakerboy

Dofba you pointed all the reasons I hate lebron especially that chalk crap.

Wizzler you want lebron to win cause you have the series value on your mind for miami.

Either way let's see what lebron is made of when he faces the speed/length and offensive power he has never faced since he came to miami.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    BigD, I respect your posts bro, you are consistently a positive force on this site, and the well constructed angle is well taken, but please review that list and show me another team with that type of "supporting" cast that has made the finals. There is barely even the 3rd piece to a championship team in that bunch, nonetheless a second fiddle bro.
    They didn't have any stars but they were built well around Lebron. They had two decent big men, a few good shooters, and a decent PG in Moe Williams.

Williams is a better PG than Chalmers and Big Z and Varejao provide a much better inside presence than anything Miami has right now. I don't really consider Bosh a dominant player in the paint although he is a good player.

Basically, Lebron did his thing and dished to open shooters, the big men cleaned up the mess inside.

As for any other NBA Finals teams with that type of supporting cast I would say the Nets, Sixers, and Pacers from 1999-2003.

t-wizzle

Dofba you pointed all the reasons I hate lebron especially that chalk crap.

Wizzler you want lebron to win cause you have the series value on your mind for miami.

Either way let's see what lebron is made of when he faces the speed/length and offensive power he has never faced since he came to miami.
    No bro I am just not letting hatred get in the way. He isn't going to lose forever.

BigDofBA

You are a blind homer. I can only argue with objective viewers who actually understand the game a little bit.
    You said Durant has disappeared in half of his games and Lebron shouldn't get much hate.

That's just a dumbass statement.

When has Durant ever disappeared? I bet Durant has made twice as many game winning shots as Lebron and Durant is 5 years younger.

If anything, you have the two reversed.

All the things you said about OKC before the playoffs have been wrong. It's not like I would expect you to change your mind now.

Durant is a clutch player and currently the second best player in the world. He will show the world why he should have been the MVP and take over the #1 spot here in the next few weeks.

lakerboy

Well Karl Malone kept losing forever. He was as unlikeable as lebron.

probettor1

All we need is a Jon Jones vs James lebron fight. Haters will be happy.

t-wizzle

You said Durant has disappeared in half of his games and Lebron shouldn't get much hate.

That's just a dumbass statement.

When has Durant ever disappeared? I bet Durant has made twice as many game winning shots as Lebron and Durant is 5 years younger.

If anything, you have the two reversed.

All the things you said about OKC before the playoffs have been wrong. It's not like I would expect you to change your mind now.
    If you watched the games objectively you would know exactly what I am talking about.

I gave him credit for the times he has taken over games late but it is hit or miss.

t-wizzle

Well Karl Malone kept losing forever. He was as unlikeable as lebron.
    But nowhere near the player.

hydrosmak
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
    nope, Akron is his hometown, people from Akron hate Cleveland.

Brush up on your sports facts son.
    Maybe brothers in the hood, son. Pretty sure Akron had PLENTY of Cavs fans.

123 Last