Shaudius
    Shaudius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 702

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    What percentage of those grads who are unemployed have worthwhile degrees and obtained an actual skill like those who graduated with degrees in engineering, nursing, accounting, computer science, etc?

I am not going to cry a river for those who went to college for 6 years to party and finally got a degree in psychology or history or anthropology or excercise science, who never was an intern or pursued meaningful summer jobs, and have no relevant job skills for the jobs in which they are applying.
    Well since anecdotes seem to be taken as data on this forum, I can show you dozens of STEM grads that are unemployed, many of whom had Summer internships, undergraduate research, etc. My experience directly with nursing and accounting are more limiting, but just getting a meaningful degree does not guarantee you a job in this economy, nor does doing Summer internships, the great recession made sure there were plenty of experienced candidates to scoop up without having to rely on recent grads for anything. The idea that all of these unemployed grads are useless liberal artists is almost as great a fallacy as the idea that we live in a meritocracy whereby those who work hard will succeed, and that a great number of people will succeed, its just not simply the case.

Furthermore, what do you think would happen if everyone stopped pursuing liberal arts degrees, and only pursued so called "useful" degrees, do you think that suddenly the economy would have millions of more useful jobs? The answer is simply that it would not, there would still be just as much demand for engineers, scientists, accountants, and nurses as there was before, only now instead of having a "useless" degree these out of work new grads would have a "useful" degree they couldn't use.

This is pretty off topic, but I'm sure there will be a response about the STEM shortage, but the STEM shortage, as I can show you is a myth. An article that I just Googled right now http://www.popecenter.org/commentari...e.html?id=2701 has this to say, " “[T]he United States produces almost four times as many [electrical and electronic] engineers annually as the economy demands.”

"For instance, using the federal government’s forecasts, the number of engineering jobs will grow more slowly than the rest of the labor force between 2010 and 2020. The BLS estimated that the total labor force was 153.9 million jobholders in 2010—it is expected to add roughly 20.5 million new jobs by 2020, an increase of 14.3 percent. Engineering jobs—a total of 1.34 million in 2010—will increase by only 11 percent in that period, with slower-than-average growth predicted for ten of the fifteen engineering specialties."

About the only area where the article concedes that growth will outstrip supply is in Computer Science areas, which is only one of the areas that you mentioned. The fact is that there are too many new grads and not enough jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Nobody @ this forum is in the 1%, why do you still support them?
    That one is easy, because they have all apparently bought into the fallacy that if you work hard enough there by the grace of God you will become part of the 1% or even that you will succeed.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaudius View Post

That one is easy, because they have all apparently bought into the fallacy that if you work hard enough there by the grace of God you will become part of the 1% or even that you will succeed.
    So in other words they believe in the lottery/power-ball theory..........

PAULYPOKER

So in other words they believe in the lottery/power-ball theory..........
    Instead of reality........

Shaudius

Link Not Working - Removed-)
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 07-03-14 at 06:13 PM.

PAULYPOKER

Yes, blame Horatio Alger and stories like fishmongers. Interestingly, Democrats are more likely than Republicans to think that the poor can get ahead with hard work, y of this has do with the fact that poor people are more likely to be Democrats. Since poor people are more likely to be Democrats we might be seeing a bias whereby poor people WANT to believe that you can get ahead with hard work because to think otherwise would be too depressing.
    The only reason the 1% exist is because of the 99%,

if the 99% actually knew this the 1% would be no more but the 1% has the 99% so enslaved that they can only think negatively..........

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11636

Romney is not that strong of a candidate, all the truly strong candidates stayed out this time. Romney is the best of slim pickings, what you are seeing is a lot of people holding their nose and voting for Obama in an Anyone But Obama backlash, how many of you who are supposedly voting for Romney think he is the best man in the Republican Party to lead, or even one of the strongest? It doesn't seem like its very many.
    Meanwhile in the rest of the world outside of SBR Romney is kicking Obama's behind. How? Raising money and building momentum. Romney has it, you're just not ready to admit to yourself yet.

You will.

Shaudius

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Meanwhile in the rest of the world outside of SBR Romney is kicking Obama's behind. How? Raising money and building momentum. Romney has it, you're just not ready to admit to yourself yet.

You will.
    That's not what the recent polling says, Romney got a huge bump after he was all but assured the nomination and now he's been basically neck and neck with Obama since, there's been no real additional momentum, if anything Romney lost momentum from the brief bump he got a little over a month ago. The race is a toss up, and will continue to be a toss up unless something really bad happens to the economy in the next 5 months.

After shoring up the nomination Romney did get a big boost in money influx as people are allowed to donate once in the primary and once in the general election and they weren't gonna blow their general election load before the race was settled. I'll be more interested in seeing the June numbers than the May numbers.
    Last edited by Shaudius; 06-11-12 at 12:55 AM.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Obama senior adviser David Axelrod on Sunday sought to play down the president’s remark at a news conference Friday that “the private sector is doing fine,” arguing that the comment does not reflect that Obama is out of touch on the state of the economy.

ByeShea

That's not what the recent polling says, Romney got a huge bump after he was all but assured the nomination and now he's been basically neck and neck with Obama since, there's been no real additional momentum, if anything Romney lost momentum from the brief bump he got a little over a month ago. The race is a toss up, and will continue to be a toss up unless something really bad happens to the economy in the next 5 months.

After shoring up the nomination Romney did get a big boost in money influx as people are allowed to donate once in the primary and once in the general election and they weren't gonna blow their general election load before the race was settled. I'll be more interested in seeing the June numbers than the May numbers.
    You're wrong. That is what recent polling says and Romney did not get any bump, much less a "huge" one after securing the nomination.

The huge bump has come over the last two weeks and at Obama's expense.

Obama is learning the hard way that trying to abuse Romney for success in the private sector (at Bain Capital) only helps his opponent by reminding the country of experience and competence Barack Obama has never shown anywhere.

The June numbers will make you cry, son. Obama can't get any money from anywhere else but Hollywood and whatever remnants of Wall Street that will still have him.

Maybe you should cut him a check, Shaudius, if he's so great.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    You're wrong. That is what recent polling says and Romney did not get any bump, much less a "huge" one after securing the nomination.

The huge bump has come over the last two weeks and at Obama's expense.

Obama is learning the hard way that trying to abuse Romney for success in the private sector (at Bain Capital) only helps his opponent by reminding the country of experience and competence Barack Obama has never shown anywhere.

The June numbers will make you cry, son. Obama can't get any money from anywhere else but Hollywood and whatever remnants of Wall Street that will still have him.

Maybe you should cut him a check, Shaudius, if he's so great.
    You don't need experience to be the front man,you just need to be a master of illusions..........

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Obama's commerce secretary cited for a hit and run.

ByeShea

You don't need experience to be the front man,you just need to be a master of illusions..........
    If Obama could fool all the people all the time his re-election would be a shoo-in.

As a matter of fact, if the economy wasn't in dire straits he would be a shoo-in. George H.W. Bush was generally well liked and respected but was done in by an economy that Obama would happily trade places with.

golfrulz
    golfrulz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 376

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8430

Link Not Working - Removed-)

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Dwight with a good answer, I see you don't know Dwight. Check back if you are so inclined a year or two or three or four and find me one good answer or even one good statement from Dwight. Take a lunch.
    I have ignored him. I couldn't take any more of the stupidity. Like debating a two year old. Imagine ur vote counting as much as this clowns

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    I have ignored him. I couldn't take any more of the stupidity. Like debating a two year old. Imagine ur vote counting as much as this clowns
    You obviously haven't "ignored me" , geez how I wish you would. You promised you would but I didn't believe you. I was right again. You are just too much of a coward to speak directly to me so you make your stupid naive statements this way. lol.
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 06-11-12 at 02:28 PM.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    What percentage of those grads who are unemployed have worthwhile degrees and obtained an actual skill like those who graduated with degrees in engineering, nursing, accounting, computer science, etc?

I am not going to cry a river for those who went to college for 6 years to party and finally got a degree in psychology or history or anthropology or excercise science, who never was an intern or pursued meaningful summer jobs, and have no relevant job skills for the jobs in which they are applying.
    Hate to break it to u slick but my girls son just completed college with a degree in biomedical at Drexel university one of the top engineering schools in the country. They started with 3000 kids and only 50 graduated with a degree. He is one of them. usually they have a job lined up before they graduate. He has no job and 157000 in debt. Pretty nice for an biomedical engineer don't u think?

Thor4140

This message is hidden because this handjob DwightShrute is on your ignore list.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    This message is hidden because this handjob DwightShrute is on your ignore list.
    good, be a man and please keep it that way.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Voters Still Think Romney Is Better for the Economy

Obama's job approval rating has slipped below 50 percent, with 45 percent of Americans approving of Obama's job performance while 48 percent of Americans do not.

Americans’ wealth dropped 40 percent

The net worth of the American family has fallen to its lowest level in two decades, according to government data released Monday

DwightShrute

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Can Dwight vote??

DwightShrute