Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I don't think Schilling could take Holloway down with ease... Poirier was able to easily, but that's 'cos of the size advantage. I think Holloway could easily put Schilling away in the first round. TKO via strikes.
    Leaning towards agreeing with Gabriel here...I liked Holloway when I first saw fight was announced...need to watch footage of them both again tho

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
    haha love that video....whats with guys wanting to be like prince nassem?
    Every Asian from North of England wants to be Prince!

Luca Fury
    I make my living betting on MMA
    Luca Fury's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 757

Except Holloway didn't get worked by Poirier. He was fkng Poirier up on the feet, possibly moments away from knocking him out, then Poirier used his size advantage to take him down and take his arm off... In no way, shape, or form was Max Holloway "worked" in that fight. Making your opponent realize + go to his only option to beat you is not the definition of being worked.

Pat, on the other hand, was worked... and I had him picked over Pineda.
    Are you trolling? How did he almost KO Poirier and in what way was he "fking" him up? He landed almost nothing on the feet, then got taken down with ease, before being immediately mounted and armbarred in 3 minutes. He got owned.

Just because Poirier fought smart and used his biggest advantage (BJJ) against his opponent, doesn't mean he was getting destroyed on the feet and desperately went to the ground.

Now, if we were talking about the Korean Zombie fight, you'd be right. In that situation, Dustin WAS nearly KO'd and his opponent WAS "fking" him up. But as far as the Holloway fight, Poirier tooled him.
    Last edited by Luca Fury; 05-31-12 at 04:45 AM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Fury View Post
    Are you trolling? How did he almost KO Poirier and in what way was he "fking" him up? He landed almost nothing on the feet, then got taken down with ease, before being immediately mounted and armbarred in 3 minutes. He got owned.

Just because Poirier fought smart and used his biggest advantage (BJJ) against his opponent, doesn't mean he was getting destroyed on the feet and desperately went to the ground.

Now, if we were talking about the Korean Zombie fight, you'd be right. In that situation, Dustin WAS nearly KO'd and his opponent WAS "fking" him up. But as far as the Holloway fight, Poirier tooled him.
    Gabe is probably referring to Porier saying that he got "flashed" by Holloway's jumping knee (1min 20 mark). I dont think he was particularly hurt by it, more just woke him up and realised tht it was safer to take it to the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3I53VUxqHg

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Well I have been wrong plenty, but when I watch film on Holloway, if I can time takedowns I would sure expect Schilling to be able to. His leg kicks seem very easy to catch. His opponents have never been from a complete wrestling base.

With these styles, I like the +money is all.

DeFactoCrippler
    DEFACTO© SAVES IDIOTS AND GONZOIDS
    DeFactoCrippler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Well I have been wrong plenty, but when I watch film on Holloway, if I can time takedowns I would sure expect Schilling to be able to. His leg kicks seem very easy to catch. His opponents have never been from a complete wrestling base.
    Thanks for posting this, valuable and UNIQUE info.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DeFactoCrippler View Post
    Thanks for posting this, valuable and UNIQUE info.
    You fuk, Was hoping you wouldn't leave me out of your thoughts

DeFactoCrippler
    DEFACTO© SAVES IDIOTS AND GONZOIDS
    DeFactoCrippler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    You fuk, Was hoping you wouldn't leave me out of your thoughts

Maybe you can talk to your boy jjgold for me. It seems they have taken away my picture posting privileges because some whiney little bishes went and crying saying I posted a pic say "op is a phaget".

You mean to say on SBR you can call Trayvon a dead n)&**% but you can't call the "op a phaget"

the fock

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DeFactoCrippler View Post
    Maybe you can talk to your boy jjgold for me. It seems they have taken away my picture posting privileges because some whiney little bishes went and crying saying I posted a pic say "op is a phaget".

You mean to say on SBR you can call Trayvon a dead n)&**% but you can't call the "op a phaget"

the fock

Personaly I find all types of posters entertaining. I'll slap cue ball over the head a few times and see if he can do anything for ya.

Firestarts
    Firestarts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

responses very

responses very good! )

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarts View Post
    responses very good! )
    Welcome to SBR pal.

Imsmarterthanu
    Imsmarterthanu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

Holloway's standup is no joke but his ground game is terrible

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

"I worked a lot on my jiu-jitsu and wrestling for this fight, and I'm feeling stronger than ever," Holloway said. "You can't sleep on nobody in the UFC. I think he's a tough guy, a tough opponent, and if I get a win, it would be a good 'W.'"

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    "I worked a lot on my jiu-jitsu and wrestling for this fight, and I'm feeling stronger than ever," Holloway said. "You can't sleep on nobody in the UFC. I think he's a tough guy, a tough opponent, and if I get a win, it would be a good 'W.'"

Good to know he has decided to train in these areas... Wonder what he's learned in 3 months.. Can't make this sh!t up

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

He's been at Gracie Technics for about a year now and working with Pedro Sauer blackbelt Ryan Lizares and undefeated Dustin Kimura who has a decent ground game. As BigDay says though, only so much u can learn in a few months so be interesting to see

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    He's been at Gracie Technics for about a year now and working with Pedro Sauer blackbelt Ryan Lizares and undefeated Dustin Kimura who has a decent ground game. As BigDay says though, only so much u can learn in a few months so be interesting to see
    Let's not kid ourselves, you guys might be right and he might catch a knee on the way into a TD and get fukkin KO'd

I'm simply taking plus money on a fight that I see a wrestler can take him down and stay busy enough to grind out a dec.

Beelzebubzy

His quote above does not state he is starting wrestling. I am assuming he trained at least a little bit for his previous 4 fights. Yes I know what happens when I ASSUME. I make and ASS out of U and MEMETrolls.

As I have stated in other posts, I am playing Schilling at EVs cause I think the grappling difference is too big

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Pin2Win
    Pin2Win's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am taking Schilling on this one... could go either way but if I'm taking an underdog I think this is the one to go with

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

His quote above does not state he is starting wrestling. I am assuming he trained at least a little bit for his previous 4 fights. Yes I know what happens when I ASSUME. I make and ASS out of U and MEMETrolls.

As I have stated in other posts, I am playing Schilling at EVs cause I think the grappling difference is too big
    to be fair he actually stopped Poirier first take down attempt

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles
    gabe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Fury View Post
    If Porier stayed standing, there was a really good chance he would have gotten knocked out in that first round. That fight was ALL HOLOWAY until it went to the ground. And if you call that him being "worked," then I can't take you seriously.

Yeah, he realized he couldn't stand up with Max, so he played it smart and went to the ground. Poirier was the one who was tooled, until he took the fight to the ground, using nothing but his huge size advantage. A MUCH MUCH SMALLER fighter in Max Holloway tooled him on the feet, yet you're saying he's the one who was tooled. What a joke. Stop talking, bro.

BTW- Poirier's biggest advantage was his SIZE, not his BJJ! Fool. If Dustin was a tiny dude like Max, you think taking him down and pulling is arm off would have been as easy? No way. It looked like a big college student messing around with a kid who isn't even ready for high school. If it were someone more Max's size, he would have done better. He couldn't do anything about Dustin's size and top-strength on the ground. It wasn't exactly Dustin's "Jiu Jitsu skills" that gave him problems.
    Last edited by gabe; 05-31-12 at 01:45 PM.

Beelzebubzy

to be fair he actually stopped Poirier first take down attempt
    Tis fair. However, does Poirer have the wrestlign background that Schilling has? I am acutally asking because I do not know.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

You see, the 23-year-old Schilling works full-time as an Operations Supervisor at Best Buy. And considering how difficult it is just to have a life of training and fighting, the fact that Schilling is working the retail gig at the very same time is nothing short of incredible.
    The 145 pounder admits that balancing his life as a UFC fighter with his job at Best Buy hasn’t been easy, especially for this latest camp.
    “The scheduling is definitely difficult,” Schilling told TheScore.com about working two jobs. “I’ve been working retail since I was 16, so it’s seven years now. The schedule, I’ve been working 40-hour weeks. The schedule is never good — you’re either working bright and early in the morning until the middle of the day or you’re working middle of the day until at night. Fitting in two workouts a day is definitely a challenge given the scheduling as you know you’ll be busy every day of every week. But I’ll get my free time after this fight.

“Doing it is tough — eight-hour workdays, and then two workouts. It’s tough, the work/life balance is tricky, but (my team and I are) looking at maybe a win or two in the UFC, and I won’t have to work so much during the week.”

“I feel great. I’m definitely prepared. This training camp has definitely been the best I’ve ever had,” he said. “Physically I’m getting stronger, and my conditioning is there. Technically I’ve been preparing all over Minnesota, as opposed to just being at one gym with the same training partners. I like my old coach and team and still work out with them, but I just went to a lot of places, because up until my last fight I was working with the same training partners for the past two years, so I hadn’t been really pushing past that. I knew I needed to evolve my game by working with different opponents, as there’s only so much I can do submitting the same person the same amount of times the same way so many times, so I’ve been all over the place in Minnesota getting different looks and feels and being willing to try things I haven’t done before, not with a ton of super high profile guys, but with guys who are gonna emulate my opponent pretty well.”
    But this could just be the start of Schilling branching out for his training camps, as the life-long wrestler admits he’d be willing to go to some of the top gyms in the world like American Top Team and American Kickboxing Academy in order to really develop his skills.
    “I think Minnesota is a little underrated at times, we do have some successful fighters in the UFC (Sean Sherk, Nik Lentz, Jacob Volkmann), but I do feel I need to get around to some other areas,” he said. “I do own a house in Minnesota so that’s kinda where I’m based, but I’ll definitely consider going to Florida, New Mexico, or San Jose, if I can work out my life situation with work and that sort of thing.”
    Aside from training for Hollaway’s striking style, Schilling has also did something new in camp, and that’s really concentrate on his physical strength through an Olympic weight-lifting regiment. He’s been lifting very heavy for someone his size and stature, and he’s confident all this hard work will make him a better fighter.
    “I’m emphasizing physical strength as part of this camp. I am a small featherweight, and a lot of the guys I’m fighting are cutting from lightweight or welterweight earlier in their career, so I know that the size advantage is not gonna be something I’m ever gonna have. I’ve been focusing on Olympic-style lifting which is a lot more explosion. I think that’s gonna really help impact my power in my punches and kicks,” he said.
    “All around the strength part of my game is something I can improve on so I’m excited to demonstrate that because I think that’s gonna be the biggest leaps and bounds I’ve gotten from anything else. When I started this camp I couldn’t squat more than 315 pounds, and now I’m up to 450. I couldn’t clean more than 185 and now I’m at 275, so I’m putting up some good numbers there and I think that’s gonna translate well to when I’m in the cage.”
    Still, though, even though Schilling’s trying his best to turn his body into a machine, considering he’s only 5’8″ and walks around at 152 pounds, there’s the possibility he could drop a weight class in the future, although he says it won’t be easy to do.
    “I’m thinking about going to bantamweight at some point, but I’m very lean, so when I’m at 147, 148 pounds, I’m at two per cent or less body fat so it’s difficult to cut,” he said. “I tend to hit a wall at 147, 148 in my weight cut so that last pound to cut is the toughest. I walk around at 152, so I don’t cut a lot of weight. I don’t like to cut a lot of weight. I’m a fast 145er and I think at 135 I wouldn’t have that agility advantage I do right now.”

And he’ll certainly need that against Hollaway, who was doing a great job of tagging Dustin Poirier on the feet in his Octagon debut at UFC 143. The 20-year-old, though — the youngest fighter in the UFC, by the way — was eventually taken down and submitted by Poirier, the superior grappler. Considering that out of Schilling’s five wins, four came by way of submission, there’s a good chance that, if he does emerge with his hand raised, it will be through a submission-based win, although the Minnesotan admits he’d like to show off his striking a bit more this time around.
    “I like it. It’s exactly the kind of matchup I want,” Schilling said of the fight with Hollaway. “He’s definitely a tough striker, and I’m excited to show what I’ve learned in this camp and prior since I haven’t been able to demonstrate my striking. I thought I was doing OK on my feet against Pineda, but I didn’t really get a lot of chances to showcase it. So I’m excited to go against a striker and I think I have a better ground game than his. I honestly think if it goes to the ground I can finish it from a lot of different spots, but I’m not afraid to stand up and box with him either. He’s got some range, but I’ve got some other tricks I can work in my game, also.”
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BIGDAY

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Tis fair. However, does Poirer have the wrestling background that Schilling has? I am acutally asking because I do not know.
    Poirier doesn't need a wrestling background to take Holloway down. Would you need to be a wrestler to take down someone half your size?

It was Poirier's size that played a factor in that fight, not necessarily his ground game. It was very easy for him to manipulate someone tiny (who should probably be fighting at 135) on the ground.

fosho14
    fosho14's Avatar Become A Pro!

Poirier doesn't need a wrestling background to take Holloway down. Would you need to be a wrestler to take down someone half your size?

It was Poirier's size that played a factor in that fight, not necessarily his ground game. It was very easy for him to manipulate someone tiny (who should probably be fighting at 135) on the ground.
    I don't think you can just attribute everything to size with why that happened. Cormier was able to literally throw a much bigger man in Barnett up into the air and power slam him to the canvas. Most of wrestling is technique Gabe, have to disagree with you on your analysis there.

Beelzebubzy

I work a full time job and do two workouts a day. (lunch and afterwork) and then I have school at night. Its a manageable schedule but it is grueling.
    But thank you for the research V there is alot of key insight in that article

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

although the Minnesotan admits he’d like to show off his striking a bit more this time around.

This worries me a tad... Why the Fukk would one gameplan to this. It's a smoke screen in my eyes. He will take a takedown if presented with enough oppertunity. And watching Holloway's fights, there will be plenty of oppertunity imo.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

yeah he should instinctively look for takedown. Volkmann has also said before a few fights tht he intends to show his improved stand-up then proceeds to take the guy down soon as distance is closed

Oblivian
    Oblivian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 721

Thanks for the info V.

I really hope a lot of that interview was hyperbole. 2% BF? I don't think so. I also highly doubt he's squatting 450 lbs and I question the 275 lbs clean.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    Thanks for the info V.

I really hope a lot of that interview was hyperbole. 2% BF? I don't think so. I also highly doubt he's squatting 450 lbs and I question the 275 lbs clean.
    Yeah also 2% or less body fat...hmmm

gabe
    Screamin' Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by fosho14 View Post
    I don't think you can just attribute everything to size with why that happened. Cormier was able to literally throw a much bigger man in Barnett up into the air and power slam him to the canvas. Most of wrestling is technique Gabe, have to disagree with you on your analysis there.
    Did you just seriously compare Max vs Dustin to Cormier vs Barnett?

Jesus Christ, man...

YES- size is the only reason Poirier was able to easily control Holloway. Are you fkn retarded? If you think Poirier could have been able to take Holloway down and control him on the ground the way he did if they were the same size fighters, then you and I should not even be discussing MMA, period.

Oblivian
    Oblivian's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 721

From the Horsepower S+C website: http://horsepowersc.com/

Pat Schilling fights at 145, he set personal bests (and it isn’t even close) on all four major lifts. clean 235, jerk 250, deadlift 365, squat 375.
    Much more believable. I will eat my shoe if this kid is squatting to depth 450 lbs. All of those #'s were posted on May 11th. Interview was posted May 25th. If he truly took his #'s up to that (which he didn't), then count on his CNS being fried.

fosho14

Did you just seriously compare Max vs Dustin to Cormier vs Barnett?

Jesus Christ, man...

YES- size is the only reason Poirier was able to easily control Holloway. Are you fkn retarded? If you think Poirier could have been able to take Holloway down and control him on the ground the way he did if they were the same size fighters, then you and I should not even be discussing MMA, period.
    lol calm down man I'm sorry to hear that you disagree with me. People disagree from time to time in life it happens. And I still don't concede to your point that size was the main factor with dustin/holloway. Technique/skill are paramount, and the size difference between these two fighters is not enough to offset those principles of technique/skill. This was not a bj penn vs lyoto machida fight, so no I think your way off base sorry.
    Last edited by fosho14; 05-31-12 at 02:48 PM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

yeah chill and smoke some of tht OG kush Gabriel!

fosho14

yeah chill and smoke some of tht OG kush Gabriel!
    haha ya seemed pretty laid back in that vid.

First 1234 Last