stuntin909
    stuntin909's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

How is the RL a sucker bet?

Everyone here says RL is a sucker bet but don't see how it can be a sucker bet if I can get -105 RL's with 5Dimes. Not like they're charging 30 cent vig. If the bet had high vig then I'd understand.

Also, if the -1.5 RL bet is a sucker bet doesn't that make the +1.5 RL a "good" bet? I can understand how the -1.5 bet can burn you, but doesn't that make the +1.5 bet an overall better bet on the dog? Or is it better to always bet the RL bet that pays out plus money?

Sharps shed some light here. Confused on how a bet that has such low vig can be considered a sucker bet on both sides.

Koldazzice
    Koldazzice's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4245

I use the RL all the time - Especially on a road dog with a low total (o/u) - Sometimes I will take the RL on a favorite as well but rarely and only if the total is 9 or more - I don't use it for every bet of course but its a great tool in certain spots.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

often times the -1.5 on a home favorite can be a sucker bet. the reason is b/c many squares want to bet on the ace pitcher but do not want to lay -180 juice.

now these bets get buried b/c many times the -180 home favorite will be up by 2 or 3 runs after the 8th, and the home team will almost always trade a run for an out in these spots in order to secure the win. thats why u see so many squares complaining about how their team has a shit bullpen and blew the -1.5 runline cover.

ZetaPsi808

i feel much more comfortable laying the -1.5 on the road team. a game can be so close the whole way and then the game goes into extra innings and the road team will have a big inning in the 11th

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6765

because this can happen

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore...?gid=320517116

or the classic... 3-1, 4-2 lead going into 9th and oops, closer gives up 1 run with 1 out to go... then ends the game. no big deal to him.

ZetaPsi808

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    because this can happen

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore...?gid=320517116

or the classic... 3-1, 4-2 lead going into 9th and oops, closer gives up 1 run with 1 out to go... then ends the game. no big deal to him.

this guy explained it better than i did

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

-1.5 RLs can be profitable in the right spot...sometimes play ML for 75% of unit and RL for 25%.
    Or if your playing a favorite in -150 to -170 range, consider taking the -1 for a push on a 1 run win.
    +1.5's are sucker bets though, just take the ML for dogs.

taxe91
    taxe91's Avatar Become A Pro!

the -1.5 at + money is far from a sucker bet in my opinion, ive made a thread on this in the past because picking your spots with it can be a cash cow.

now for example a team like the yankees: last year they won 53 games (played 80) against sub-.500 teams, 45 of those wins (85%) were by 2 runs or more.

on the other end of the spectrum you have the giants who won 33 of their 86 wins by 1 run last year, avoid at all costs.

personally im just over 50% in -1.5 RL bets on the season and i generally play them at + money only. you'll often see -1.5 lines at +120 or even +130 which is great too

so it can be profitable in the right spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    often times the -1.5 on a home favorite can be a sucker bet. the reason is b/c many squares want to bet on the ace pitcher but do not want to lay -180 juice.

now these bets get buried b/c many times the -180 home favorite will be up by 2 or 3 runs after the 8th, and the home team will almost always trade a run for an out in these spots in order to secure the win. thats why u see so many squares complaining about how their team has a shit bullpen and blew the -1.5 runline cover.
    ive seen this happen once or twice but i wouldnt say 'many times'

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Lay the RL with high totals

pro-style
    pro-style's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Lay the RL with high totals

It doesn't matter what the total is, the RL price is adjusted based on how valuable runs are for that particular game. It isn't like they just subtract a static amount from the ML everytime lol....

To answer the initial question, RL bets are not square bets, all bets are square unless you have a profitable methodology that backs it. It doesn't matter if it is a RRL, RL, or ML it is all the same, you get a price and you can determine whether the price is good or not.

The RL is similar to a spread, but people don't call spreads 'sucker' bets in NFL or NBA do they?

The simplistic logic that you seen thrown around here baffles me.
    Last edited by pro-style; 05-25-12 at 01:14 PM.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by pro-style View Post
    It doesn't matter what the total is, the RL price is adjusted based on how valuable runs are for that particular game. It isn't like they just subtract a static amount from the ML everytime lol....

To answer the initial question, RL bets are not square bets, all bets are square unless you have a profitable methodology that backs it. It doesn't matter if it is a RRL, RL, or ML it is all the same, you get a price and you can determine whether the price is good or not.

The RL is similar to a spread, but people don't call spreads 'sucker' bets in NFL or NBA do they?

The simplistic logic that you seen thrown around here baffles me.

i agree with the original post, if all -1.5 run line bets are sucker bets, then blindly taking every +1.5 run line would be +ev

by simply saying "run lines are sucker bets" "prop bets are sucker bets" "if you bet preseason football you are a degenerate" "why would you bet wnba" etc etc you are putting on blinders and avoiding some of the best betting situations available.

i got +180 last night on wade getting 30 points or more, i might have been a sucker but i don't think so...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

depends on the situation. both -1.5 +1.5 can be profitable