brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

What Percentage Of Bettors Make Real Money (Say more than 20-30K) Every Year?

What do you guys think?

I would imagine about 80% of people lose money long term betting because the juice and bad money management kills them and maybe 20% make money with maybe 5% making real money (over 20-30k every year)
    Last edited by brahmabull117; 05-23-12 at 10:29 PM.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

1% if that.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    1% if that.

1%? Why do you think it's so small?

There's a ton of people who lose a lot of money every year, you really think it's unlikely to have a small group of bettors who make a decent living?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

If you know what the hell you're doing... you can accomplish anything you want in life. Including gambling.

You can make a profit if you stick to a 1 unit wager. There is no such thing as 2 units... 5 units.... 15 units. A read is a read... no different from the next game.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Same unit size every game

If you bet different than that your just a compulsive gambler

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Totally agreed

I dominated last summer for a good month and a half of baseball and I lost almost 8000 dollars due to terrible money management

The hardest part is money management, not picking winners IMO

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    Totally agreed

I dominated last summer for a good month and a half of baseball and I lost almost 8000 dollars due to terrible money management

The hardest part is money management, not picking winners IMO

Are you kidding me?

In one thread you are advocating going all in on the Celtics ML in game 7, and at the same time you are preaching money management?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ZetaPsi808, Jerm3462, thetrinity, and ParlayininHTown

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    In one thread you are advocating going all in on the Celtics ML in game 7

Obvious exaggeration/joking

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

brah did you quit your job yet and go pro gambler

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

1%? Why do you think it's so small?

There's a ton of people who lose a lot of money every year, you really think it's unlikely to have a small group of bettors who make a decent living?
    1% is a big number, think about it a little bit.

Say a 100 million people in the world make bets, 1% would be 1 million.
    Don't you think 1 million people making a decent living from gambling is "small"?

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

If it is average 30k a year might be a decent % but every year almost nobody. I have averaged more than that but about most the years I gambled I lost money or made little and a couple years with big winnings. If you bust out it is hard to make a lot of money, and guys with a big bankroll probably are looking to have a huge year and not grind out 30-40k and might lose in the process.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    1% is a big number, think about it a little bit.

Say a 100 million people in the world make bets, 1% would be 1 million.
    Don't you think 1 million people making a decent living from gambling is "small"?

Well I'm talking about people who try to be serious gamblers who actually bet with like a 20-50K bankroll

Obviously there's a lot of casual people who don't even try to make real money. You can't make 30k a year when your average bet is 50 bucks

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

20k is real money?

No professional bets the same amount on every game.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ACoochy, and BuddyBear

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Probably 25 times as many who make consistent money in poker than sports

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Well I'm talking about people who try to be serious gamblers who actually bet with like a 20-50K bankroll

Obviously there's a lot of casual people who don't even try to make real money. You can't make 30k a year when your average bet is 50 bucks
    you could come pretty close

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Do you guys honestly think money management is simply sticking to one unit bets? The stupidity being tossed in this thread is astounding.

You should definitely be wagering more or less depending on your edge and expected growth. No two ways about it.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Go fukk yourself, Brah

DJ, there's about 3 people here that can even quantify their edge, so flat betting is a good choice for the annual losers here.
    Last edited by The Kraken; 05-23-12 at 10:54 PM.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by dj_destroyer View Post
    Do you guys honestly think money management is simply sticking to one unit bets? The stupidity being tossed in this thread is astounding.

You should definitely be wagering more or less depending on your edge and expected growth. No two ways about it.

Well i don't know if I agree with the 1 unit a game, my point was that I agree money management is the most important thing

Most people, even those who can pick winners, can't manage their money properly. I struggle myself hugely with that aspect

The Kraken

No, you just suck at life, with a special emphasis on gambling.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

i don't think money management is the main problem.
    the juice is the main problem. if you were getting +110 on every side of every bet then over the long run you would be ahead.

and by getting -110 then over the long run you will almost certainly be behind (if you don't take bonuses, etc)

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post

Yea I used a Rock gif cause he's my hero. **** off

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

.00000001 percent.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by darkhat View Post
    .00000001 percent.
    When betfair announced they may begin taxing upwards of 60% to some members whose earnings exceeded a too high percentage compared to commission payed on winnings they said at most it would effect 0.5%

There are the bettors who lay bets against both outcomes so they're 'green' either way.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    When betfair announced they may begin taxing upwards of 60% to some members whose earnings exceeded a too high percentage compared to commission payed on winnings they said at most it would effect 0.5%

There are the bettors who lay bets against both outcomes so they're 'green' either way.

So you made 20 grand just regular betting? How long did that take you?

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

So you made 20 grand just regular betting? How long did that take you?

Image says for 3 month period

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Here is a 4 year+ case study that suggests you are incorrect about flat betting having any kind of magical power...

http://jjgold.mysbrforum.com/spreadsheet/

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Not sure about your original question......But to suggest flat betting for the masses is absolutely ridiculous IMO

If you are constantly flat betting, you need to be a great handicapper to actually see any profit over the long haul to beat the juice.......If you go big on games here and there and hit more often than not, you can still profit while hitting less % overall.

Much easier to hit a few big ones than to grind out a profit betting the same for years.....Even the worst of handicappers could get lucky on a few of his huge plays and end up at the end of the year with a profit as opposed to a "good" handicapper that cannot profit, even when hitting over 50% of his flat plays

Of course you could lose the big ones more often than not, in which case, you are still a loser anyway.......

Anyone get what I'm saying here?

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Not sure about your original question......But to suggest flat betting for the masses is absolutely ridiculous IMO

If you are constantly flat betting, you need to be a great handicapper to actually see any profit over the long haul to beat the juice.......If you go big on games here and there and hit more often than not, you can still profit while hitting less % overall.

Much easier to hit a few big ones than to grind out a profit betting the same for years
    .....Even the worst of handicappers could get lucky on a few of his huge plays and end up at the end of the year with a profit as opposed to a "good" handicapper that cannot profit, even when hitting over 50% of his flat plays

Of course you could lose the big ones more often than not, in which case, you are still a loser anyway.......

Anyone get what I'm saying here?
    You have a very elementary understanding of statistics, if any at all.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    You have a very elementary understanding of statistics, if any at all.
    I can bet 100 games a year at 10 bucks a game, and 2 games a year at 1000 bucks a game......I can hit the 2 games for a dime a piece and suck ass in the other 100 bets and come out a winner

Same shitty gambler betting 102 flat bets of 10 dollars a game will definitely lose

The Kraken

But what makes you think you are going to win the 2 games? Flawed logic. You're just as likely to lose those 2 as the other 100. You have no way of knowing your edge, therefore no way to know wgen to vary your bet size.

Most guys gonna average under a 50% win rate, statistically better off flat betting and enjoying the ride as long as possible or until they rwload, which is inevitable either way.
    Last edited by The Kraken; 05-24-12 at 03:22 AM.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

But what makes you think you are going to win the 2 games? Flawed logic. You're just as likely to lose those 2 as the other 100. You have no way of knowing your edge, therefore no way to know wgen to vary your bet size.
    Im just saying for bad gamblers.....They are DEFINITLEY not winning grinding out over the long haul.....but they might get lucky on their 2 or 3 big bets

Only chance to win for the majority of squares is all I meant

The Kraken

Right, but they will go broke both ways. Statistically neither way is superior as the end result is the same. However, flat betting and "grinding" provides the best chance for stretching their money out longer. So for dimwits like Brah, it's better to flat bet.

The big advantage to your way would be if the square (Brahmabull) quit betting after getting lucky and hitting their $1000 bet. However the biggest flaw with that is that Brahma could never save $1000 to bet. Guy is hands down the worst bettor on this forum.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Right, but they will go broke both ways. Statistically neither way is superior as the end result is the same. However, flat betting and "grinding" provides the best chance for stretching their money out longer. So for dimwits like Brah, it's better to flat bet.

The big advantage to your way would be if the square (Brahmabull) quit betting after getting lucky and hitting their $1000 bet. However the biggest flaw with that is that Brahma could never save $1000 to bet. Guy is hands down the worst bettor on this forum.
    I agree with all of this.....In my original post I should have mentioned that I was only referring to squares that will surely lose over the long haul. If their ONLY goal was to finish up a lifetime winner, get ahead with the big bet (possibly) and quit or bet very very small compared to that big bet thereafter
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Kraken

PAYTON20
    PAYTON20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 770

If you constantly hammer sure things like -400 MLs you will come out on top. Never bet anything that has a chance to lose, it's that simple

12 Last