PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anybody Else Hear This Phillies/Yankees Trade Rumor?

My buddy is a huge Phillies fan. Just called and told me he heard this rumor this morning.

The Phillies and Yankees are going to do a deal.

The rumor is Cole Hamels and Shane Victorino for Mark Teixeira.

Can anyone confirm that they have heard this as well?

Would blow my mind if it happened.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

I heard Anonymous is releasing a video about this real soon.

So the Phils will pay Tex and Howard ALL that money for 1 position for the next 5-6 years?

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

No chance

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I heard Anonymous is releasing a video about this real soon.

So the Phils will pay Tex and Howard ALL that money for 1 position for the next 5-6 years?
    This was my first thought as well.

If the Phillies acquired Tex, it would obviously set up another trade.

Perhaps multiple deals are in the works?

Dutchie

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post

how wants Howard? that was one of the worst contracts in MLB history when it was given, BEFORE it was hurt.

no way anyone trades for him.

aren't victorino and Hamels free agents in the off season? no way the Yanks are trading for a few months of rental players

I heard the Indians are gonna trade carlos santana, brantley and choo for pujols though

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Tex is damaged goods
    He caved into by pressure

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

horrible trade for phills, no way amaro would do that...

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

how wants Howard? that was one of the worst contracts in MLB history when it was given, BEFORE it was hurt.

no way anyone trades for him.

aren't victorino and Hamels free agents in the off season? no way the Yanks are trading for a few months of rental players

I heard the Indians are gonna trade carlos santana, brantley and choo for pujols though
    Who wants Howard?

You're getting ahead of yourself.

This is a guy, who since he became a full time starter, has produced 149, 136, 146, 141, 108, and 116 RBIs.

To think he has little to no value is fukking laughable.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26811

who is gonna take on howard's contract coming off this injury without seeing him play first??

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by allabout the $$$ View Post
    who is gonna take on howard's contract coming off this injury without seeing him play first??
    Just to clarify...

Howard is not involved in this rumor.

Dutchie

Who wants Howard?

You're getting ahead of yourself.

This is a guy, who since he became a full time starter, has produced 149, 136, 146, 141, 108, and 116 RBIs.

To think he has little to no value is fukking laughable.

ahead of myself? well you kinda got to fit those 2 pieces of the equation in quick. cuz no way are the Phils gonna be on the hook for both those huge contracts. They would be the laughing stock of the MLB. unless the first had a way to unload Howard. MLB GM's have to play chess. you are playing 5 year old level checkers, I upped the anti to 11 year old checkers. c'mon

a) RBI is a horrible stat to measure productivity
    b) how old is howard
    c) how much money remaining on contract
    d) how is his health?
    e) you don't notice the quick DECLINE in those inferior RBI stats?
    f) if a team wanted to trade for a first baseman like howard, wouldn't they just get TEX? instead of the Phils?

Dutchie

Just to clarify...

Howard is not involved in this rumor.

which is the first sign the rumor has as much credability as a rumor saying aliens playing in the phils outfield this summer. Why would they pay close to 50 million dollars per year for 1 position?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

ahead of myself? well you kinda got to fit those 2 pieces of the equation in quick. cuz no way are the Phils gonna be on the hook for both those huge contracts. They would be the laughing stock of the MLB. unless the first had a way to unload Howard.
    Correct. Which is why I said if this deal goes down, it might set up another trade.

Dutchie

Correct. Which is why I said if this deal goes down, it might set up another trade.
    you are missing the point. the deal moving Howard woud have to ALREADY BE SET UP

deals fall through all the time, why would they take a risk like that? that is a 20+ million liability the GM would have to answer for.

but you can't set the deal up, while Howard is on the DL. not officially anyways, so what would the point be? no gm and no owner have that kind of risk tolerance

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

you are missing the point. the deal woud have to ALREADY BE SET UP

deals fall through all the time, why would they take a risk like that? that is a 20+ million liability the GM would have to answer for.

but you can't set the deal up, while Howard is on the DL. not officially anyways, so what would the point be? no gm and no owner have that kind of risk tolerance
    True, but deals are made all the time regardless of the rules. We both know that.

I can see the Phillies keeping Howard at first and try Tex at another position, possibly 3rd.

But that would set up a move for Polanco.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

My buddy is a huge Phillies fan. Just called and told me he heard this rumor this morning.

The Phillies and Yankees are going to do a deal.

The rumor is Cole Hamels and Shane Victorino for Mark Teixeira.

Can anyone confirm that they have heard this as well?

Would blow my mind if it happened.
    where did he hear this rumor? amaro should be fired tomorrow if he even thinks about this deal

dlunc3

why would we not just set up a deal like blanton for youk... he can play first until howard is back, then then split time time poly at 3rd and become a solid bat at 3rd or off the bench

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

lol rbi. nice try guy that doesn't know how to value baseball players.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    lol rbi. nice try guy that doesn't know how to value baseball players.
    So the best run producer in the majors since he's been a full time starter has little value?

Additionally, anyone interested in trading for Howard does not consider his run production?

SMH

antifoil
    Update your status

rbi are dependent on how the players in front of him perform. if no one is on base you can't get rbi. it is not based on the hitter ability.

votto is a considerable better player, but may not get as many rbi because of the player in front of him.
    Points Awarded:

chico2663 gave antifoil 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

dlunc3

since 2006 when Howard became full time starter, he leads the majors in both home runs and rbi.. and 2nd place really isnt even close (homeruns: howard-262 , 2nd-244. rbi:howard-796 2nd- 708). If you dont think this guy is a valuable hitter, you are clueless. This phills offense was the #2 offense in the NL when complete and healthy last yr.... look at them without him

Ethan1122
    Ethan1122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

Cole for Tex isn't a fair trade for the Phillies, why would they throw in Victorino?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

yep it is a done deal. speaking of DONE.

the Phils are also rumored to be trading Cliff Lee and Utley for Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn from the white sox

dlunc3

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    yep it is a done deal. speaking of DONE.

the Phils are also rumored to be trading Cliff Lee and Utley for Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn from the white sox
    where are you hearing this?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

You guys are focusing on the wrong first baseman. Who the fukk want Texiera?

antifoil
    Update your status

what i said was rbi is not a way to value hitters. obviously homeruns are valuable, but howard will not be hitting over 40 every again.

he is not a good player because he strikes out to much and doesn't not get on base. his strikeout rate is is around 28 percent or something crazy like that and as he continues to age his bat speed will slow down causing even more strikeouts. you can not use data from 4 years ago because he is older and will not be reaching that level of power anymore.

dlunc3

Hhe does strike out a lot no doubt about it... but he makes up for it when he does make contact. He is still a 30+ hr, 100+ rbi, .260+ hitter. He is only 32, not 40... this is the first major injury he has had, and is expected to make a full recovery and be back to 100%. He has plenty of his career still ahead of him.

antifoil
    Update your status

no one would want howard. teams have become more advanced in the last several years since moneyball with the advanced metrics evaluation of players. howard does very poorly in these areas. the old school way of thinking in baseball is being left behind by teams like the rays. if a club still thinks in terms of rbi, pitcher wins, saves, runs, even sololy looking at ERA and batting average, they will end up in the situation the phillies are in.

i am not discussing this with you further until you have a grasps of what clubs consider to be valuable with respect to player production.

Dutchie

sharp sharp decline in Howard's numbers over the last few years BEFORE the injury. Guy has a an OPS the last 4 years that could easily be bought for 10-12 million, or found through a good minor league prospect. No way someone pays 25 million to have that. He is an albatross

antifoil
    Update your status

a team could sign carlos pena to a one year deal to get around the 30 homruns with the near the same amount of batting average risk and with similar on base numbers for considerable less money.

they are almost the same player with much less invested in pena.

hydrosmak
    Update your status
    hydrosmak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 471

Quote Originally Posted by dlunc3 View Post
    Hhe does strike out a lot no doubt about it... but he makes up for it when he does make contact. He is still a 30+ hr, 100+ rbi, .260+ hitter. He is only 32, not 40... this is the first major injury he has had, and is expected to make a full recovery and be back to 100%. He has plenty of his career still ahead of him.
    It was an Achilles injury though. I think your expectations are a little too high. If he is even 75% of the player he was it will be a miracle.

Dutchie

how much will Bryan Lahair be paid over the next 5.5 years?

the cubs have Rizzo, so he is expendable. If a club was desperate, he would be the first player a GM would call about.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

no chance.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Lol you are an idiot PhillyFlyers. Fukkin kid is a yankees fan from philadelphia.

dlunc3

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    no one would want howard. teams have become more advanced in the last several years since moneyball with the advanced metrics evaluation of players. howard does very poorly in these areas. the old school way of thinking in baseball is being left behind by teams like the rays. if a club still thinks in terms of rbi, pitcher wins, saves, runs, even sololy looking at ERA and batting average, they will end up in the situation the phillies are in.

i am not discussing this with you further until you have a grasps of what clubs consider to be valuable with respect to player production.

are you really implying that just in the past 2 years have team realized that "wins" or "ERA" or "RBI" are not the only aspects that define a players worth?? cmon man, these are million/billion dollar franchises... this is not the average joe public bettor..

and what do you mean by "the same situation the philles are in"? it is a bad situation to have won your divisionn 6 straight seaons and being fresh off a 102 win season? im not sure I understand.... are you basing your argument off of a team being 2 games under .500 less then two months into the season (that is still the vegas favorite to win the NL) with 2 of their best hitters yet to suit up for a game?

12 Last