marcojuiceman
    marcojuiceman's Avatar Become A Pro!

J.R. Smith Was 'Broke' After Making $25 Million During His NBA Career

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

What's new i'd say probably 80% of them end up like this.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

this surprises anyone, why?? better example is antoine walker anyway..$110 mil over his career and flat broke

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Figures, I wonder if he spent all his money on cars or house...

But the guy will get paid next year.

Good 6th man and would probably start on 80% of teams.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Quote Originally Posted by doylfish View Post
    this surprises anyone, why?? better example is antoine walker anyway..$110 mil over his career and flat broke
    not the same since jr can still play another 10+ years and earn $50 mil.

walker, sprewell, pippen and iverson paying days are long gone.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Many athletes are like this, and JR Smith is one of the dumber athletes around. It's expected that he spends money as fast as he makes it.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

jrs as dumb as they come. has to have the lowest basketball iq in the nba, this surprises me about as much as the sun rising in the east.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GamblerSpirit

laddder
    laddder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 933

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    jrs as dumb as they come. has to have the lowest basketball iq in the nba, this surprises me about as much as the sun rising in the east.
    Javale mGEEEEEE disagrees

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

These thugs should be required by the NBA to make a deal like Bobby Bonilla did with the Mets......

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

US should institute an extra dumb+black+millionaire+athlete tax. Most of these guys are gonna lose it anyways, why not take an extra 10% of it before it leaves their hands and help make our hard working Reps and Senators in Wash have a more cushy existence.

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

This is a surprise?

Have you seen the amount of neck tattoos he has?

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Love to see these guys go broke

Of course the kobes and lebrons will never go broke. Too much money and too intelligent. Love seeing the dumb fukks of the league go broke.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

HS diploma and being a real Blood gang member is not going to equal good money handling. Race is not an issue with athletes going broke. Dumb business skills are across the board. Look at Brunnell and Kosar. QB's with that long of an earning cycle should never go broke.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Not Surprising

Dez Bryant is broke and he is just a few years into the NFL.

I listened to a radio show that covered this topic and they brought on a lot of ex athletes to give their insights. A lot of these guys get these huge paychecks and blow it rather than be smart with it because they think the money will never stop coming in. So they buy a lot of expensive things, big houses, fancy cars, as well as hooking up all their friends/family with money and gifts.

Then their career ends and the money stops coming in, and they didn't save their money or be smart with it so they have a bunch of assets and no income. They have to liquidate those assets, but still spend too much money and still live like the high rollers they were as athletes. Eventually they run out of assets to liquidate, and the property taxes on their big homes become too much of a burden and they go broke

It's why you see so many athletes become sports radio/TV personas, because the number one financial burden of ex-athletes is property taxes.

I have friends in the NFL and MLB who say that once they signed their pro contracts they started getting phone calls/internet messages from people they haven't talked to in years asking for some money and all types of leeches coming out of the woodwork looking for the hookup. People need to realize that unless you are a superstar like Kobe Bryant or someone like that, a million dollars or so won't last forever.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Grits n' Gravy

Filmoz
    Filmoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    HS diploma and being a real Blood gang member is not going to equal good money handling. Race is not an issue with athletes going broke. Dumb business skills are across the board. Look at Brunnell and Kosar. QB's with that long of an earning cycle should never go broke.
    Yup. Add Lenny Dykstra to that prestigious list.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Fukking monkeys never leave their jungle instincts out of the picture

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Your right its just idiocy. One of my jobs is a valet at a nice hotel/shopping complex and you'd be surprised at how many pro athletes come in with them and their posse and go drop thousands of dollars on clothes and jewelry in the mall then go to the fancy 5 star restaraunt and spend hundreds there then come out to get their car and not only tip $20 for themselves but $20 for all of his posse's cars too. Throw that in with the fact that a lot of these guys also waste money at strip clubs and night clubs all the time its no surprise they go broke throwing around money like that as if its nothing.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

It took me being broke with student loans and paying 20% interest on my lite beer to learn how to budget my money. Luckily I didnt make enough to get into big debt. I can see how these guys end up like this without ever having to think about it and everyone around you is hoping you put down the AMEX. A lot of these former millionaires are still kids when they retire. Single world traveler in your early 30s with little education and your supposed to have a 401k?

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

The only explanation the writer gave was that he went to China during the lockout, lol, that doesnt mean he's broke.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Most people would blow 25m, easily. Especially the one's chirping the loudest in this thread. 7 out of 10 lottery winners go broke within 5 years. Can't expect piss poor people to be given life changing money and not blow it. They all learn the hard way.

Ratpack
    Ratpack's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1789

it doesnt matter if hes broke now when hes a free agent now and gonna sign a 5 to 7 year deal worth between 35 and 40 mil so he will be okay for the next 7 years at least

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Id end up broke or dead like that Griffin dude in Housron. Ill admit it. I dont take a holier than thou approach like most of yall losers (broke landers).

marcojuiceman
    marcojuiceman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratpack View Post
    it doesnt matter if hes broke now when hes a free agent now and gonna sign a 5 to 7 year deal worth between 35 and 40 mil so he will be okay for the next 7 years at least
    That wont help the Knicks
    Carmelo and Staudmire have no chemistry

nate turner
    Update your status
    nate turner's Avatar Become A Pro!

what they should do is learn how to steal like the askenazi's and their goy supporters,jamie dimon just loss 2 billion dollars doing the same ISH that got america in trouble.but you will not hear a word from the mutts on SBR,BECAUSE THE USUAL SCAPE GOATS ARE IN ORDER.......................

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Worked in pro sports through college and after my undergrad ending with the NHL lockout, I wouldn't say the problem was as bad in hockey, but there weren't the crazy salaries. The biggest mindfuck for a rookie is when they think they've done the right thing and didn't quite piss away that first year check...and realize they have to pay state taxes on all road games.

nate turner
    Update your status
    nate turner's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    this is a surprise?

Have you seen the amount of neck tattoos he has?
    more than the pedo aka chomo birdman anderson,it was 17 comments on birdman with 2 of those coming from me.you chomo lovers will comment on artest,j.r smith.........pick the negro..........fire will come to these dis-united states and when it does don't call me to come together like on 9 11

CTsharp
    CTsharp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratpack View Post
    JR Smith, will not be getting a 5 to 7 year deal.
    Some team will bite at him but he will get 2 years max, if that.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by CTsharp View Post
    JR Smith, will not be getting a 5 to 7 year deal.
    Some team will bite at him but he will get 2 years max, if that.
    he is only 26 regardless he has another 7 years even if not on one deal

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

If we're ranking the top stupid people in the league, Eric Bledsoe and McGee are top 5. Dumb as dirt, especially Bledsoe.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

anyone that pays him a lot will regret it.

CTsharp
    CTsharp's Avatar Become A Pro!

I get what you are saying, but im saying 26 or not, this guy is not worth a long term deal. He wont get that, hes going to have to prove himself each and every short term contract he gets.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    A guy who kites checks and steals to place a bet has no room to talk about anyone's money management skills.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    not the same since jr can still play another 10+ years and earn $50 mil.

walker, sprewell, pippen and iverson paying days are long gone.
    It is the same. Doesn't matter if he makes another $150 million, he'll lose whatever he makes. That's the point, and for the record JR will never make as much as Antoine total, it's just their overall mindset

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

JR did kill a guy in a car accident settled out of court so had some big non frivolous expenses

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Name:  15831-50.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  26.0 KB

yes brock and this is the rainforest version of keyless entry.