will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Chuck Barkley or Shaq--Who was the better player?

I think that Charles like's being the center of attention and Shaq steals some limelight on TNT. I saw Barkley play in his prime and even though they played different positions and Barkley never won a championship, Charles Barkley was the better player. Shaq would just barrel into the defense and had no offensive touch.

At 6 foot 4 1/2, Barkley did things and rebounded like guys that were half a foot taller. I'm a Knicks fan and Barkley schooled Ewing.

What's your opinion?

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Shaq, and it's not even close Will.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kindred, and neverstoppers23

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Shaq, and it's not even close Will.
    ^^^^^
    This
    not even close to being close

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Shaq was the most dominate player of all time. That doesn't mean he was the best, he was just the most dominate. No one could stop that freight train when he wanted to dunk the ball.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

Barkley was far more skilled. Guy who saw Barkley in the 80's should know better.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Shaq was the better center, Charles was the better forward.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Shaq the 2nd or third best ever Barkley in the 15-20 range

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Both great. But one is arguably the most dominant center of all time. The other is probably the best undersized post player of all time.

Shaq, when he got into the league, and was balling in Orlando was insane. Dude was fast, strong, wide, etc. He has changed the position.

Shaq, IMO. Rings.

Who is the better "analyst"/tv personality. It's Chuck - by a mile. One of the best voices in sports generally.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

dumb question

Why would you even ask that

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Shaq the 2nd or third best ever Barkley in the 15-20 range

2nd or 3rd best ever? Please say that you're either joking or too young to have seen some legitimate all-time greats. Russell, Chamberlain. Robertson, Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Bryant were all better than Shaq

Barkley would dominate in

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    dumb question

Why would you even ask that

Because I've been watching basketball for 35 of my 40 years. Barkley was a dominant player

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Barkley had more talent and did more with less size, but if you asked me which one I would pick to be on my team I'd have to say Shaq. I agree that Barkley was better overall as far as talent. Shaq was just a genetic freak of nature that was an unstoppable force on offense, and he wasn't a bad rebounder or shot blocker either. Barkley would kill him in a FT shooting contest or any kind of skills competition for that matter.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

Quote Originally Posted by FindTheLock View Post
    Barkley had more talent and did more with less size, but if you asked me which one I would pick to be on my team I'd have to say Shaq. I agree that Barkley was better overall as far as talent. Shaq was just a genetic freak of nature that was an unstoppable force on offense, and he wasn't a bad rebounder or shot blocker either. Barkley would kill him in a FT shooting contest or any kind of skills competition for that matter.

Fair enough, plus Shaq had Kobe and Shaq had Wade. Barkley had a retiring Dr. J and an above average Phoenix team where he was the best player

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Neither Shaq nor Barkley played with the desire to be the best, except Shaq's first couple of years under Phil. If both had played to their potential Barkley would have been a 28 point 18 rebound guy, and this question would never have a doubt as to who was best. But since they both played a great portion of their careers fat and out of shape, I would have to say Shaq has the advantage, with Chuck being the best player on outmanned teams.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    Fair enough, plus Shaq had Kobe and Shaq had Wade. Barkley had a retiring Dr. J and an above average Phoenix team where he was the best player
    He also went to Houston w though I guess Olajuwon was not quite the same by then

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

because shaq is so bad on tv, i think charles was the better player.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

he has hakeem,drexler,rob. shaq is most dominant big man. barkley reminded me of dantley.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I'm a Barkley fan - War Damn Eagle !

But Shaq was the better NBA player

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Moses Malone and Chamberlain dominated the game in a way that would have Shaq wetting the bed. Most dominate? Not even second on that list.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

both were great.

difference was shaq had kobe and barkley had kevin johnson the choker.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9082

shaq!!
    because he was kazam

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    Moses Malone and Chamberlain dominated the game in a way that would have Shaq wetting the bed. Most dominate? Not even second on that list.
    Moses was awesome from all accounts. If you're going to put Chamberlain on there, might as well throw in Kareem. Moses was either the first, or at least one of the first Prep to Pro's phenom.

Simple fact is, I guarantee Shaq in his prime, or even his last years in Orlando, would not only hang with those guys, but beat them as often as they beat him.

BTW, the skyhook is unguardable.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Shaq lost some cred points here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfhhWA9GF0M

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

@ OP

Chuckles was my favorite player as a kid and he couldn't hold shaq's jock ever

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

i dont know about that..... hakeem pretty much destroyed shaq in the finals scoring 30+ each game and great defense on shaq.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    i dont know about that..... hakeem pretty much destroyed shaq in the finals scoring 30+ each game and great defense on shaq.
    Live in Houston and only been a Rockets fan, Hakeem made Shaq his btch that serious, absolutely killed him. But he was way too soft spoken and kind to be the dominate player he could have been 87-95. Had there been a fire under his ass we're looking at today, top 5 scoring all time, top 5-8 rebounds all time, already has most blocks (recorded anyway) And would be looked at without question the best and most dominate center of all time.

According to Mario Ellie, he only saw Olajuwon upset one time, after Robinson was awarded 1995 MVP and Hakeem proceeded to make Robinson look like a $2 hooker. Half that fire and Hakeem is top 3 player all time.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Hakeem is a tough to judge kinda player. He might be better than shaq maybe not. He's a top 10 guy though and most certainly the only guy in history that was always a quadruple double waiting to happen.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I would say Barkley is more talented.

If I was starting an NBA team, and could choose either one of them in their prime, I would take Shaq. He was much more dominating, which obviously lead to more championships, but that doesn't mean he was more talented. He was just....bigger.

Pound for pound, Barkley would destroy him. I think Shaq actually underachieved in his career.