cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

Team forfeits due to female opponent

http://espn.go.com/high-school/conve...orfeit-phoenix

When I hear things like this I think we're still in the dark ages as a society. This situation brings up an interesting question...if a woman could make it to the MLB or NBA or any other professional sports league, what would the reaction be?

I think it's a possibility when you look at an athlete like Candice Parker, sometimes she looks like she's just a few notches under NBA talent.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

Theres a reason girls dont play in mens sports, if you dont know why i suggest you watch a wnba game.

gomiamigo
    Colts NFL ats
    gomiamigo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1404

A top boys' HS team would beat a women's pro team by about 15 points. Hell, one of our local teams here had 2 ACC starters and an SEC starter on them. Think about Anthony Davis last year, Durant in HS, Lebron...

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

if women think it's fair that they should be allowed on men's teams (equality) then men should be allowed on women's teams

fair is fair

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    if women think it's fair that they should be allowed on men's teams (equality) then men should be allowed on women's teams

fair is fair
    This isn't professional sport. This is high school baseball.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I remember in little league, I sometimes had to pitch against a team with a girl. There were a couple of teams with 1 girl. I would lob the ball up there and let them hit it.

I threw pretty fast for my league, a lot of kids were afraid of me since I did have a tendency to hit some batters... I wasn't going to hit a girl with a fastball. It really is a problem for a guy pitcher to face a woman... it'd be awful to lose control of a fastball and have it hit her.

PickWinnerAllDay

I wonder what class of high school baseball they are playing in. My high school team had a couple of guys reaching 92-93 on the gun so it'd be crazy to let a girl face something like that.

MatI

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    I threw pretty fast for my league, a lot of kids were afraid of me since I did have a tendency to hit some batters... I wasn't going to hit a girl with a fastball. It really is a problem for a guy pitcher to face a woman... it'd be awful to lose control of a fastball and have it hit her.
    It's most likely not going to do any damage unless it hits her in the head. And I'd feel pretty awful hitting anyone in the head.

Have some respect for the girl and throw her a fastball. She obviously wants to play ball.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by MatI View Post
    It's most likely not going to do any damage unless it hits her in the head. And I'd feel pretty awful hitting anyone in the head.

Have some respect for the girl and throw her a fastball. She obviously wants to play ball.
    There are a few spots you can hurt someone pretty badly... head, wrists, ankles, shins... I'd feel terrible hitting a girl with a baseball. It hurts like hell and I just don't think they should play baseball. Getting hit by a softball (even though it isn't soft) is a lot more forgiving because it is so big.

And I did hit someone in the head once, it slipped in under his helmet and he had to be carted off. I felt terrible for a long, long time. Made sure he was okay, just a concussion and felt a lot better, but don't think I'd ever get over hitting a girl like that.

MatI

There are a few spots you can hurt someone pretty badly... head, wrists, ankles, shins... I'd feel terrible hitting a girl with a baseball. It hurts like hell and I just don't think they should play baseball. Getting hit by a softball (even though it isn't soft) is a lot more forgiving because it is so big.
    Yes, but all those areas can be well protected with guards, etc. And in high school, i'd even encourage head protection for all.

I guess we should stop women from having babies too. I hear that hurts like hell.

Have a little respect and let women decide what they want to do maybe? Or do women have a lower pain threshold?

And I did hit someone in the head once, it slipped in under his helmet and he had to be carted off. I felt terrible for a long, long time. Made sure he was okay, just a concussion and felt a lot better, but don't think I'd ever get over hitting a girl like that.
    You chivalry knows no bounds.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

My high school team had a couple of guys reaching 92-93 on the gun
    I call bs

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I call bs
    Kyle Waldrop
    Tony Delmonico
    Rob Catapano

Have seen all 3 of them hit low 90s.

TheCentaur

And they were all 3 on your team in hs when they hit 92-93?

TheCentaur

Kyle Waldrop
    Tony Delmonico
    Rob Catapano

Wait, you mean the price gun at Wal Mart?

PickWinnerAllDay

And they were all 3 on your team in hs when they hit 92-93?
    Yep. My high school team might as well have been a pool for D1 and MLB talent. We won 3 state championships in the highest class and my freshman year we were 48-1 and ranked 2nd in baseball America behind a 36-0 team from California.

MatI

Wait, you mean the price gun at Wal Mart?

Exactly what i was thinking!

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

I remember in little league, I sometimes had to pitch against a team with a girl. There were a couple of teams with 1 girl. I would lob the ball up there and let them hit it.

Sounds more like you might have been the one with a pussy...

Although I realize you were like 10 (so it probably your parent's fault) it is still pretty pathetic to play soft because you can't look past an opponent's gender with playing a game...

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by LVHerbie View Post
    Sounds more like you might have been the one with a pussy...

Although I realize you were like 10 (so it probably your parent's fault) it is still pretty pathetic to play soft because you can't look past an opponent's gender with playing a game...
    It has nothing to do with my competitive spirit. I was known to bitch out umpires and piss the other team off. But I'm not going to throw a fastball towards a little girl. I was 10, but at least I knew better than that.

MatI

Kyle Waldrop
    Tony Delmonico
    Rob Catapano

Only one of these guys is a pitcher (Waldrop) and he is listed at topping out at 89mph.

It seems he has regressed since high school.

PickWinnerAllDay

Only one of these guys is a pitcher (Waldrop) and he is listed at topping out at 89mph.

That wouldn't surprise me. But Yeah, Tony was primarily a SS, but he could bring it, he just had no idea where it was going. He may even have been converted to a catcher. Rob Catapano didn't pitch much at UNC and transferred back to UT, hes not even playing baseball anymore. Which is sad because I thought he'd be good.

MatI

yeah sorry about that, i exaggerated those speeds a little
    Here. I fixed it for you.

PickWinnerAllDay

http://www.ptrbl.com/Reports/html/pl...yer_25720.html

This lists 90-92.

PickWinnerAllDay

Here. I fixed it for you.
    Millionaire’s chance for Waldrop
    Former FHS star takes $1 million Twins offer and heads to Florida rookie league with pitching in his pro baseball future
    Alan Sloan - Thu, Jun, 17, 2004

Kyle Waldrop said becoming a sudden millionaire was “hard to fathom” less than a week after his destination appeared to be Vanderbilt University.

But less than 48 hours after accepting the Minnesota Twins organization’s $1 million signing bonus, the former Farragut High superstar baseball player said the biggest advantage of being the 25th overall pick in the June 7 draft was how it sets him up for entry into the major leagues.

BIG DECISION

The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Waldrop, who is slated to be a full-time pro pitcher, said that if he were chosen as high as the 25th overall pick, “I basically told them I would sign,” he said during a press conference last Thursday. “I just really sat down and thought and prayed about the whole situation, and it just seemed like it was the right choice for me.

“But money’s not what drives me, I just want to go out and play baseball,” Waldrop added. “I’m going to be wise with that (money) and just save it.”

As for the large signing bonus for an 18-year-old fresh out of high school who had no idea he was this valuable a month ago, “that definitely made me open up my eyes a little bit bigger,” Waldrop said. “If they’re going to invest that much money in you, they’re going to give you every shot to make the major leagues. Being that twenty-fifth pick, they’re not going to give up on you as easily as they might if you’re a (30th)-round pick they give $5,000 to.”

PRO PITCHER

Though featuring a fastball clocked as high as 93 mph, “I need more consistency out of my curveball,” Waldrop said.

Praising Waldrop for keeping focused throughout the 2004 FHS season well enough to post an unbeaten 14-0 record, 0.15 earned run average with 118 strikeout versus only seven walks in 91 total innings of work to lead the state champs, Admiral head coach Tommy Pharr paid Waldrop the ultimate compliment.

“In the seven years I’ve been at Farragut, he’s probably better than anybody I’ve seen,” Pharr said. “Kyle’s a pretty focused kid ... very mature for his age. It (draft talk) probably distracted him some, but not very much. Just a special kid in a lot of ways.”

--------------
    There is the story from my town's newspaper.

MatI

Fangraphs lists 89

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...513&position=P

Let's say he is hitting 92 as the site you posted states. I find it very odd he hasn't been able to improve in speed since muscle mass is usually smaller when in high school compared to later years.

I am not knocking your boyfriend here at all, just your view on reality.

PickWinnerAllDay

Fangraphs lists 89

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...513&position=P

Let's say he is hitting 92 as the site you posted states. I find it very odd he hasn't been able to improve in speed since muscle mass is usually smaller when in high school compared to later years.

I am not knocking your boyfriend here at all, just your view on reality.
    So when scouts came and they said he was hitting 92-93, I guess they were wrong too.

I don't talk to him anymore, but it looks like he has suffered a ton of injuries. He was already a big kid in high school, I guess 92-93 was his peak.

AS for my view on reality, I just told you what I saw. All those guys hit 92-93. I saw it with my own eyes. We played some games at UT so if their gun is wrong too on the scoreboard, oh well.

The Twins gave him $1,000,000. Is it so hard to believe he threw low 90s?

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Saw this a couple days ago. I live in this damn state. Absolutely sickening. To be fair to the Catholic religion (don't know why I should) this school broke off from the general Catholic concept, and is some super hard line, loony Catholic crap. (adding the term loony is not being repetitive).

It absolutely sickens me. But it is typical when talking with most hardline religion backers. Their takes on things are severely unevolved, stubborn and myopic. Very similar when talking to people entrenched in Partisan Tribalism, and for that matter - sports fantatics of a certain team.

The absurd makes sense, if it is in the name of (_____________).

We gotta grow beyond this as a society. Not be afraid to officially condemn this school publicly, and absolutely not allow the team with the girl on it to have to accept the win via a forfeiture. I would allow the team who was beat by the school with the RETARDED administration a shot at the title. Even if they lost, they are more deserving. At the very least, the "girl" team is deserving of an opponent. This stance should not be reward with martyrdom.

They already lost to the squad with the girl twice this season.

MatI

So when scouts came and they said he was hitting 92-93, I guess they were wrong too.

I don't talk to him anymore, but it looks like he has suffered a ton of injuries. He was already a big kid in high school, I guess 92-93 was his peak.

AS for my view on reality, I just told you what I saw. All those guys hit 92-93. I saw it with my own eyes. We played some games at UT so if their gun is wrong too on the scoreboard, oh well.

The Twins gave him $1,000,000. Is it so hard to believe he threw low 90s?
    Guns are often 'off' at major league ball parks. Heck, police radars are not much better. So I don't hold much weight in a scouts or college radar either.

And yes, it is hard to believe.

PickWinnerAllDay

Guns are often 'off' at major league ball parks. Heck, police radars are not much better. So I don't hold much weight in a scouts or college radar either.

And yes, it is hard to believe.
    Not sure why. You see 20 year old relievers in the majors throwing 97-98. But Waldrop throwing 92-93 at 18 is just insane? I hit 86-87 on those same guns. I hope that amazes you too.

TheCentaur

I can fathom one kid in high school maybe hitting low 90's. But 2 or 3 on the same team? That's what I question

PickWinnerAllDay

I can fathom one kid in high school maybe hitting low 90's. But 2 or 3 on the same team? That's what I question
    Kyle was a senior when I was a sophomore. Rob was in my grade. Tony was in my grade but his dad pulled some strings and he graduated in 3 years so he could go to UT and play for UT b/c his dad was the coach for UT at the time.

MatI

Not sure why. You see 20 year old relievers in the majors throwing 97-98. But Waldrop throwing 92-93 at 18 is just insane? I hit 86-87 on those same guns. I hope that amazes you too.
    Because once a pitcher can actually finish school and focus purely on improving his throwing action and bulk up, etc. There should be some improvement in speed. More likely he was throwing slightly slower while in HS.

Let alone the fact there was 3 of these 'superstars' on the one team.

Despite all that, your backward views on pitching to a girl are much more amazing.

MatI

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Saw this a couple days ago. I live in this damn state. Absolutely sickening. To be fair to the Catholic religion (don't know why I should) this school broke off from the general Catholic concept, and is some super hard line, loony Catholic crap. (adding the term loony is not being repetitive).

It absolutely sickens me. But it is typical when talking with most hardline religion backers. Their takes on things are severely unevolved, stubborn and myopic. Very similar when talking to people entrenched in Partisan Tribalism, and for that matter - sports fantatics of a certain team.

The absurd makes sense, if it is in the name of (_____________).

We gotta grow beyond this as a society. Not be afraid to officially condemn this school publicly, and absolutely not allow the team with the girl on it to have to accept the win via a forfeiture. I would allow the team who was beat by the school with the RETARDED administration a shot at the title. Even if they lost, they are more deserving. At the very least, the "girl" team is deserving of an opponent. This stance should not be reward with martyrdom.

They already lost to the squad with the girl twice this season.
    Very well said Chalky. Agreed.

PickWinnerAllDay

Because once a pitcher can actually finish school and focus purely on improving his throwing action and bulk up, etc. There should be some improvement in speed. More likely he was throwing slightly slower while in HS.

Let alone the fact there was 3 of these 'superstars' on the one team.

Despite all that, your backward views on pitching to a girl are much more amazing.
    Farragut High School baseball was basically a college team. Tony Delmonico moved into the area just to play baseball here. For all I know, Rob and Kyle might have done that too. I mean shit, Farragut has won like 7 of the last 10 state championships.

MatI

Farragut High School baseball was basically a college team. Tony Delmonico moved into the area just to play baseball here. For all I know, Rob and Kyle might have done that too. I mean shit, Farragut has won like 7 of the last 10 state championships.
    Oh shit, in that case, i believe every word you claim.

PickWinnerAllDay

Oh shit, in that case, i believe every word you claim.

Don't care. Look it up on wikipedia fool.

12 Last