Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Looks like my collection goes to storage for the next 50 years

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

I have at least 50 lbs of cards, all but a few >1988.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

I have a book with 2 gold sammy sosa and mark mcguire cards in it dedicated from the record breaking HR season. from the danburry mint. any clue if its worth any thing?

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    You're kidding right? 1990 was when it took off, Upper Deck front and center. 1991 was probably when interest piqued, there were card shops opening up all over the place. I was there.

Upper Deck first cards, the '89 baseball, were selling for an outrageous price in '90 or '91. Unopened packs/boxes were like gold, everyone after the Griffey Jr rookie card.
    thats one card that actually HAD value for a bit. overproduction basically started 1986-1987. anyone buying in 1990 or later was getting worthless cards with maybe a rare insert card here and there. i guess if you want to call people buying 89 upper deck packs looking for griffey valuable but there were shops that had resealing machines a lot of those 89 upper deck packs on the market are/were already opened. i don't usually rip people for getting scammed but this was one that if you didn't know you were buying crap you deserve what you get.

another scam how about etopps? heard they are calling it quits.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

Donate your cards to the SBR site, they can use them in contests.

gomiamigo
    Colts NFL ats
    gomiamigo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1404

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
    A 1999 episode of HBO Real Sports had a story about parents that successfully sued card companies under the guise that the card makers were introducing their kids to gambling. This was around the time where insert cards were made of like a Mickey Mantle jersey and of the like. The plaintiff's proved that buying card packs where immediately high value cards were randomly inserted was no different than a state scratch ticket.

This was after the market itself was already oversaturated and was the last nail in the coffin for the card companies in ever making the money that they used to.
    This is ridiculously wrong.

The market had imploded by 90-91. But card companies are putting in way more valuable inserts, jerseys, autos, gold cards, actual cash, cards with diamonds on them now.

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

I hope it makes a comeback in about 20 years... I got some good shit Brett Farve RC, Albert Pujols RC(autographed), Nolan Ryan 68 RC, Derek Jeter 93 Upperdeck RC, ARod RC, MJ RC, and shitload of cards from the late 60s to late 90s...

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

That Topps Diamond Giveaway contest was fun.
    I was able to get Tony Kubec cards & Bob Gibson cards from the 60's

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

someone lucky to pull this out of a pack. i wonder what this guys bottom line is for this card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEBRON-JAMES...item20c3586b07

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

$1,200.00
    not 1/1
    not graded 10

Ez Money 77
    Ez Money 77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

I was wayyyy into cards when I was growing up as well. I collected like 85-92 and the Griffey Jr 89' upderdeck card was definetly the card everyone wanted. I use to play blackjack and poker with my friends for cards like they were money. I remember my dad had to hold my 1986 Topps Jose Casnesco rookie card because he didn't want me to get rid of it. He was my favorite player back then and the card was pretty valuable to a 12 year old kid in 1990. For the people that say they hope their cards from the late 80's and early 90's will be worth money again one day. This has a very very slim chance of happening. The cards aren't ever going to be worth anything because they had sooooo many of the cards mass produced. There is a unlimited supply of 90 Frank Thomas leaf rookies. Just like every other card. Things are valuable when there is not many of them made. How bout these, Cabbage Patch Kids? Remember those? These are actually worth a little money now if u had them in good condition still. I remember getting all into these as a kid for a couple years too.
    Side note though, if u get into the collecting game now it actually is worth a little more. Packs are soo expensive now though but everything is made with a serial number on them now. So u can get a Kobe Bryant in game jersey autograph card that is numbered like 2 of 10. The problem is that they have sooo many of these kinda cards now too. Even if u get one of those 2 of 10's there are like 5 different sets of cards selling "like" game used/autograph cards for this year and the last 4 years. The next 10 years will have another 10 years of Kobe game used/ autograph cards so even if u get one trust me in 10 years your 1/10 will be like so many other 1/10's, 3/20's,1/4's. The ones u want to collect are the players past and present that don't have many cards with these. If u can get like an older retired player that only has like 3 different cards with autographs only then thee cards will be in demand.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

It's the card companies own fault. Starting around 1989 they totally saturated the market making most cards printed then and afterwards value significantly decreased

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

SThese are some of the Jame used Jersey cards I have.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

This is my best autographed card right now

Heres that Griffey Jr. Leaf card someone was talking about, I still 5-6 of these.
    worthless

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Anyone remember the Outside the Lines with the Tiger Woods Sports Illustrated for Kids card? I'm pretty sure on the show it sold for 6 figures.

I went looking through all my books and found it. Apparently a million other kids did too after that episode.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

No market men

Jerkoffs collect them now

Baseball is a dead sport..drugs ruined it

Ratpack
    Ratpack's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1789

another thing that was super hot but in the late 90's and early 00's that i still have are beanie babies people were saying those would be worth something in the future i spent thousands on those things and they arent worth crap

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Ebay ruined it then graded/numbered cards made a comeback.

I remember a few years back my friend sold a Vince Carter rookie for like a $1000 on ebay.

Ez Money 77
    Ez Money 77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    This is my best autographed card right now

Heres that Griffey Jr. Leaf card someone was talking about, I still 5-6 of these.
    worthless
    That Lawrie is pretty bad ass. Though that Griffey wasn't the one everyone was after. 89 Upperdeck not his Donruss card.

SlickFazzer
    SlickFazzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2923

Solid thread gentlemen. There are only 2-3 card shops in Vegas anymore.

CWD
    Update your status

i stopped following probably around 1990 thats when i realized i had shit a couple nice cards but 90% crap at the time IMO only these were actually rare or had real value

89 upper deck griffey for a while was highly sought after that took a dump prob cause it wasn't too rare
    84 fleer update was some holy grail type shit but dropped drastically
    82 topps traded ripken was about the only card left at that time that had any value not sure now
    those early 80s fleer basketball w/ jordan rookie i'm sure that is one card still prime $$$ prob one that will appreciate over time

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Only thing worth collecting are guns & ammo.

SlickFazzer
    SlickFazzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2923

Hot wheels drawing some attention these days..

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

If you pick a player, It can still be fun, trying to accumulate all the higher end cards of a certain player.
    I'm only collecting Lawrie & Mike Smith right now.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

I opened a pack of topps stadium club hoops cards in 91 or 92 and got a shaq rookie beam team card. Dealer offer me $200 on the spot.

Just checked eBay and it's worth $30 and that's after shaq lived up to his hype and became one of the best ever

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    thats one card that actually HAD value for a bit. overproduction basically started 1986-1987. anyone buying in 1990 or later was getting worthless cards with maybe a rare insert card here and there. i guess if you want to call people buying 89 upper deck packs looking for griffey valuable but there were shops that had resealing machines a lot of those 89 upper deck packs on the market are/were already opened. i don't usually rip people for getting scammed but this was one that if you didn't know you were buying crap you deserve what you get.

another scam how about etopps? heard they are calling it quits.
    Yeah the '89 UD Griffey hunt was most likely rife with packs and boxes that were tampered with. I bought a sealed box and there was a Griffey in it, I still have it.

I have all my cards, was in the closet earlier tonight having a look and my 50 pounds was way off. There's about 200 pounds in there. I haven't looked at most of these cards in 20 years, I do have some special sets and cards. They're not all worthless. Would fukkin take a long time to sort through them...

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

I have a lot invested in Giroux... his stock was pretty high before his swift exit in the playoffs. I may offload sooner than I had planned based on the stories in these threads.

I was basically waiting on a scoring title before I sold but I might just hope for another good season and bail. I would probably almost double my money.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

I dont think its unreal to think he could win a title or break a significant record long term but, even then they are a tough sell.

asianfootballs
    asianfootballs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Cards 1.jpg
    Cards 2.jpg
    cards3.jpg

All these cards are garbage. At least there are the memories of buying packs to get my favorite players. Oh well. I have over 200 pounds of fire hazard sitting in my closet.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    You're kidding right? 1990 was when it took off, Upper Deck front and center. 1991 was probably when interest piqued, there were card shops opening up all over the place. I was there.

Upper Deck first cards, the '89 baseball, were selling for an outrageous price in '90 or '91. Unopened packs/boxes were like gold, everyone after the Griffey Jr rookie card.
    89 was the beginning of the end. Yes card shop and shows were opening everywhere but they also began to overproduce cards in a major way during this time. Within years of this the card market was destroyed.

CWD
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Teaser View Post
    89 was the beginning of the end. Yes card shop and shows were opening everywhere but they also began to overproduce cards in a major way during this time. Within years of this the card market was destroyed.
    card shows with those crooked grab bags and dice games, remember that? i don't know how anyone continued to collect past this time you had to know the game was over

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

For purely fire prevention purposes, I will take the Jerry Rice RC.
    My favourite football player.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

Here's an awful story that I'm sure will eventually be thrown back in my face.
    I was at a card show & got caught stealing a box of cards. Or so I thought I was caught, when the kid behind the counter said "What ya got there?"
    I replied "A box of Upper Deck Hockey."
    He asks "How much you want for it?"
    I said "$100"
    When he offered $80 I sold him back his box & then hit 4-5 other vendors, I can't remember how much cash I had on me when I was leaving but, I bought a 1958 Ted Williams card with everything I had on me.
    I still have it.

First 123 Last