dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Sounds like a lot of people were on ManU

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTimeWinner View Post
    Thats not gonna happen unfortunately, its a sport where you need to use your brain and see where everyone else is, not a lazy sport like baseball, or football where you just pick up the ball and run like a bitc* lol
    Lol flopping and acting like sissys when they get slide tackled or whatever you call it... cmon soccer is really a thinking mans sport in all these 3rd world shitholes.

teaserpleaser

Im trying to love soccer im even dvring the everton match today but please as far as a great tv watch it has nothing on NFL...

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    60 million people in the UK.. i find it hard to beieve that half billion people watched an english football match
    Holy ******* LMAO!!!

Well then find a way to make it easier to believe!

teaserpleaser

Its not hard to believe all of Europa and Asia watched it...hell I watched it

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Point of thread is American sports are so small compared to soccer

Also soccer players/fans play with much more enthusiasm /passion /urgency than Americans fans and players

Europeans mentally tougher than AMericans

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Does that 650 million include all the people that watched it illegally? What percentage of people watch NFL illegally compared to soccer? Manchester derby wasn't even a decider like the super bowl, though extremely important.

soul786
    soul786's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's a huge number for sure, 1/10 people on the planet essentially watched

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Us Americans should be embarassed

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    It is a terrible sport.

Parents throw their kids in it here and they hate it, never get attached to it, never become fans. Kids in these other countries never play baseball. Never play football. We don't know if they would love it if they played it. We know America hates soccer though, despite it being shoved down kids' throats at a young age.
    there's no need to soil this thread with flat-out lies.

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

not a sport. I love every sport but soccer. I've given it a chance... a soccer game can be recapped in 3 seconds showing a replay of the 2-3 goals per game.
    Thats fine & this is the view of most Americans as the sport in general is frowned upon in the US for a number of reasons (some valid, some ignorant) & no matter how much the US media tries to spoon feed it to y'all when something like the 'world cup' is on or a big game such as yesterday, it's sometimes just a case of mommy trying to feed their young one veggies when the all the kid knows & has the taste for is salty food. Probably not bang on with the analogy there but it was the best I could muster up without thinking too much. You could just say it's an acquired taste but that wouldn't quite work either as 650 million is a number too hard to overlook.

Americans love their NBA, NHL, MLB & NFL.
    Will touch on a couple here & I'm not throwing them all in the same boat, just singling out the 2 most hated outside the US.

You can bet your bottom dollar that 90% of the rest of the world can't get through a game of baseball, ("like watching paint dry, rather watch grass grow" etc etc) they see it as incredibly boring & can't quite figure out the appeal (much like when roles are reversed in terms of Americans hating soccer). I'm not one of these people as I don't mind catching some games but you can be sure this is the view of most outside the land of the free. Also your above argument regarding '2-3 goals scored in soccer can be shown in a very short highlight package' doesn't quite add up because the same can be said for a 2-0 game in baseball.

Touching on another sport, American Football. Same deal, sure most of the world tunes into the super bowl every year but this is mainly because of the spectacle, you can be sure the viewers that don't normally look twice at the NFL for every other game in the season are only watching because of the enormity of the event & most likely aren't actually watching the game & only tune in for the pre-game entertainment & half-time show. I think the general consensus (outside of the US) is that the game is much too stop-start & people don't appreciate watching a sport where you can spend more time watching ads than the game itself (super bowl ads are an exception but you get the point). Sound's like I'm bad mouthing the NFL but I'm not, I don't mind watching it along with every other US sport because I can appreciate them & take them as they are & realize you can find flaws in any sport from the outside looking in & that of course includes the topic of this thread 'soccer'. I'm just saying the majority of sports fans aren't as accepting, they like some sports, they dislike others, they take the close-minded approach because it is all that they know. Soccer will never succeed in America & there is an abundance of reasons for that that haven't been listed but I feel I covered at least 1 in here, although in elongated form.

The whole "soccer vs america" argument can be a back & forth that turns into a 10 pager if everyone from both sides states their 'opinion' on it but truth be told, no one in right or wrong, no matter how much they disagree & try to convince others to believe their side of the story.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

soccer players put product in their hair before games..and dive all over the pitch

can you blame america for trashing soccer?

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingtostart View Post
    Does that 650 million include all the people that watched it illegally? What percentage of people watch NFL illegally compared to soccer? Manchester derby wasn't even a decider like the super bowl, though extremely important.
    Are you kidding....of course not all Manchester derbies are deciders...but this was clearly was. If Man Utd had draw or won they would have pretty much won the title.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    soccer players put product in their hair before games..and dive all over the pitch

can you blame america for trashing soccer?
    It's more of a stereotype....wasn't even 1 dive in the game yesterday.

Clearly you don't even watch the sport....

showtiime
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Naz18 View Post
    It's more of a stereotype....wasn't even 1 dive in the game yesterday.

Clearly you don't even watch the sport....
    Don't knock, just come in.

Don't take the bait guy, I'll shed some light here for you, lunchie has made several soccer 'lock' threads in the past that all seem to end up on the losing side. His comment is just put out there to invoke a response such as yours, don't take it so personally!

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by showtiime View Post

Don't take the bait guy, I'll shed some light here for you, lunchie has made several soccer 'lock' threads in the past that all seem to end up on the losing side. His comment is just put out there to invoke a response such as yours, don't take it so personally!

Bro, did you not see that novel you posted above?

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

That's amazing....

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10288

Soccer is a game for LAWN FARIES.

It's foisted on children who have no choice...
    parents actually believe that sending their kid
    out to run around on a field is sport.

Girls may continue playing soccer, because it's a game
    well suited for females with few athletic options.

But when a boy reachs a certain age he will
    actually want to play a real sport.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

it will NEVER be anything big in the states or Canada, basically no one gives a shit

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post
    Soccer is a game for LAWN FARIES.

It's foisted on children who have no choice...
    parents actually believe that sending their kid
    out to run around on a field is sport.

Girls may continue playing soccer, because it's a game
    well suited for females with few athletic options.

But when a boy reachs a certain age he will
    actually want to play a real sport.
    Fun fact... my brother and sister were relegated to soccer as little children. I told my parents to fukk off and that I wasn't having it. I played every other sport, baseball, basketball, football, tennis, swimming, etc. I knew at 8 what a pussy sport this was. Maybe the world will figure it out one day.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I don't buy that. Lots of parents sign their little kids up for soccer b/c it is a cheap/easy sport to play. And guess what? 95% of kids hate it and beg their parents not to sign them up the next year and they never play soccer again and they don't become soccer fans.
    only the fat kids hate it because they arent good at sports and cant run. theres no great domestic league in the united states, since mls is still minor leagues even though its improving, thats the other reason. the major sports are already ingrained in our society, soccer has no room, same way in other countries, with football aka soccer leading the way and cricket and other sports as backups. never gonna change here or anywhere else.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    it will NEVER be anything big in the states or Canada, basically no one gives a shit

way more popular in canada then in the states, does take a backseat to hockey though.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    only the fat kids hate it because they arent good at sports and cant run. theres no great domestic league in the united states, since mls is still minor leagues even though its improving, thats the other reason. the major sports are already ingrained in our society, soccer has no room, same way in other countries, with football aka soccer leading the way and cricket and other sports as backups. never gonna change here or anywhere else.
    I was a skinny little kid and extremely athletic and hated it. Remembered being forced to play it in gym once. Was absolutely miserable. Longed for kick ball. Everyone in the class did.

showtiime
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Bro, did you not see that novel you posted above?
    Yeah bro, wasn't taking it personally, I'm on both sides here, fence sitting if you may, was just pointing out a couple things, no biggie.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i played baseball as a kid. wish i had played hockey, that's a good sport for kids.

soccer is bad for kids because they don't use their hands. big part of being human instead of a cat or horse is that we have hands.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

ultimately this debate doesnt matter, only way that the usa could make room for soccer is to have a league on par with the premier league, la liga, or serie a. this is likely never going to happen in our lifetimes at least. people r never going to love these other leagues since they play in the middle of the afternoon during the week and like at 6am on saturday, also theyll likely never attend one of these matches in their lives.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

I was a skinny little kid and extremely athletic and hated it. Remembered being forced to play it in gym once. Was absolutely miserable. Longed for kick ball. Everyone in the class did.
    sounds like you are speaking for all american kids anyways you dont like it, your choice, go across the ocean and embark on your campaign to make baseball the most popular sport on the face of the earth, im sure itll be a rousing success.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Quote Originally Posted by showtiime View Post

can u link to me to one of these lock threads i made? no you cant because i never made one

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    i played baseball as a kid. wish i had played hockey, that's a good sport for kids.

soccer is bad for kids because they don't use their hands. big part of being human instead of a cat or horse is that we have hands.
    i think its good for the kids since they actually run around instead of glaring at xbox all day.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Great game

PickWinnerAllDay

sounds like you are speaking for all american kids anyways you dont like it, your choice, go across the ocean and embark on your campaign to make baseball the most popular sport on the face of the earth, im sure itll be a rousing success.
    I don't care if Europeans don't like soccer. They also don't brush their teeth so obviously they have problems with decision making.

smallball
    smallball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 911

I love and watch all the US sports religiously, but when you get this kind of atmosphere at any US sport, then it can be compared to soccer.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

I don't care if Europeans don't like soccer. They also don't brush their teeth so obviously they have problems with decision making.
    but you said they would like football baseball etc if they were exposed to it, now they have bad decision making. cant have it both ways, its just a cultural difference. soccer will never make it here, baseball american football over there will never make it.

PickWinnerAllDay

but you said they would like football baseball etc if they were exposed to it, now they have bad decision making. cant have it both ways, its just a cultural difference. soccer will never make it here, baseball american football over there will never make it.
    Only way to settle it then. American football players would destroy European football players. Baseball players would kill soccer players too.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by smallball View Post
    I love and watch all the US sports religiously, but when you get this kind of atmosphere at any US sport, then it can be compared to soccer.

agree no american sport can match the intensity of football across the ocean. you go to an nfl game half the people are passed out from tailgating by halftime. you go to the super bowl its 90% suits and ties.

First 1234 Last