InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I mean wtf did you even read my posts? That's exactly what I said, he will need to quiet some things down (make adjustments)
    A lot of Gary Sheffield's unorthodox swing was bat movement prior to the hitting position which isn't very significant.
    so you posted about something he's already done....like i said...did you watch even watch him?

as for sheffield you couldnt be more wrong....less than 5% of mlb players would be able to hit with that swing because sheffield had incredible bat speed....and that's about as basic baseball knowledge as there is

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    as for sheffield you couldnt be more wrong....less than 5% of mlb players would be able to hit with that swing because sheffield had incredible bat speed....and that's about as basic baseball knowledge as there is
    You know what else is basic? Less than 5% of mlb players would be able to hit effectiviely with anyone else's swing but theirs

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68483

What is popular is not always right, and what is right is not always popular.

A solid observation.

PokerSource
    PokerSource's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Nice oppo field swing.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

I'll be honest with you guys. I go into 75 mph and 85 mph batting cages and can hit the ball well pretty regularly. I see a lot of college baseball and even semi-pro baseball hitters at these cages too and I noticed the guys who seem to rip it and have the best balance have tremendous bat speed and excellent hand-eye coordination.

From my own experience bat speed and being able to track the ball from the pitcher's hand to the point of contact of your bat to the ball are the two most important things a hitter needs to be good at any level. That takes tremendous concentration and clarity to do (tracking the ball from pitcher's hand to the point of contact with your bat) but once you master that and have bat speed you can hit well against fast or slow pitches with adjustments.

Now as far as Bryce Harper goes...I watched him against the National for the first time last night and I have to say his swing is kind of off. If you notice his swing it is kind of loopy and not flat and level at the point of contact like good major league hitters have. (ie-Robin Cano, Darryl Strawberry, David Right, Don Mattingly...etc.)

Thus in the long run he will be prone to popping up and fouling off some real good pitches to hit more than most successful MLB hitters normally would. This is definitely not good. Again I love the way he leaps out and attacks the ball if it is hittable but that in itself along with his excellent concentration just isn't going to cut it. He really does need to improve on his mechanics.

Right now you don't see it because he is 19 years old and relies a lot on raw ability and super quick reflexes....but as those diminish with age he will be in serious trouble if he doesn't correct his mechanics on that loopy swing of his. Even right now if you pitch him up and inside at 98 mph he will be fcuked because of his swing and approach at the plate.

This video here will demonstrate: (Notice in this video where his elbow is as he is in his stance. Hitters are not taught to keep their elbows that high before point of contact and notice how absurdly upper cut's his swings are. Again this is prone to him hitting more pop ups. With the quality of pitching at the Major League level it won't take long for pitchers to figure out pitching him up and inside he will be fcuked.)

NYSportsGuy210

Again to re-iterate....he golfs at the ball too much and if every pitcher in MLB continues to pitch him up and in he won't be batting more than .240 with 16-20 HR's a season for his career.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Before he got over the top FAT the best pure hitter in last 25 yrs

NYSportsGuy210

Bryce Harper's swing again is NOTHING LIKE Tony Gwynn's. Again notice as I mentioned in my post above....Gwynn's swing is flat and level at the point of contact. Harper's is a steep upper cut at a pop-up level of an angle and he golf's it too much. Again...not a good sign.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10316

I thought he looked decent in all 4 at bats, he did not look over matched in my opinion, good start for him

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

here's 2 reasons why he won't make it in the bigs:

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Guys on SBR are now better than scouts. Pathetic. kid is 19

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

he is 19 years old. ....
    you know how rare that is for a position player to be called up that young in this day?

can't believe people on this board..

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by neverstoppers23 View Post
    he is 19 years old. ....
    you know how rare that is for a position player to be called up that young in this day?

Seems like he is sharp enough to make adjustments too. Which is why he needs to read my posts on this thread. Still has plenty of time.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    your a weird ass dude man. just cause I called your thread silly and you a bozo makes me sooooooo mad and such a horrible person that you feel the need to make a different thread with my handle in the title that I can't respond to?

its called players talk, thats what we do here..talk about sports..debate..if you can't handle some criticism than you need to talk a walk.
    Sorana Cirstea: https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&b...sorana cirstea

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Harper seems like a prick. I can't wait for him to get drilled.

TheCentaur

he is 19 years old. ....

He's in the big leagues now, so he gets his swing critiqued, his age doesn't matter IMO

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    He's in the big leagues now, so he gets his swing critiqued, his age doesn't matter IMO
    that comment is asinine. almost every player goes to a college for 3-4 years, gets drafted goes to the minors for 2 years and finally gets called up.

he is developing faster then any other phenom in years. i can't remember the last player to be called up at 19. i know robin yount was but that was in the 1974s

braun was 24 when he was first called up.
    longoira was 23.
    morrison was 23.

19 year old position players just don't get called up to the majors every year.

so everyone just needs to cool down on him, and calling him out because of his swing. he has had this swing all his life and every scout(well if you don't count internet psdue-scouts) has said this is a once in a generation prospect. he gots a fast bat, great power, his swinging motion/mechanics if it needs to be tweaked i am sure the nats will deal with it.
    Last edited by neverstoppers23; 04-29-12 at 02:00 PM.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post

so he's one of those pricks that thinks he's so good that he has to thrown his helmet off while running

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

he is 19 years old. ....

It really is hilarious and pathetic.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

he is developing faster then any other phenom in years. i can't remember the last player to be called up at 19. i know robin yount was but that was in the 1974s
    Well the obvious one is Griffey jr. who played as a 19 year old after playing the exact same 129 minor league games between A/AA.

taxe91
    taxe91's Avatar Become A Pro!

that comment is asinine. almost every player goes to a college for 3-4 years, gets drafted goes to the minors for 2 years and finally gets called up.

braun was 24 when he was first called up.
    longoira was 23.
    morrison was 23.

19 year old position players just don't get called up to the majors every year.

so everyone just needs to cool down on him, and calling him out because of his swing. he has had this swing all his life and every scout(well if you don't count internet psdue-scouts) has said this is a once in a generation prospect. he gots a fast bat, great power, his swinging motion/mechanics if it needs to be tweaked i am sure the nats will deal with it.
    dont know how you somehow forgot mike trout. who got called up and hit 5 homers as a 19 year old.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    Well the obvious one is Griffey jr. who played as a 19 year old after playing the exact same 129 minor league games between A/AA.
    arod was 18, pudge rodriguez was 19

which is neither here nor there because he's obviously in great company

it happens so rarely the baseball reference age comparisons dont start til age 20 even if the guy was up in the bigs by 19

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by taxe91 View Post
    dont know how you somehow forgot mike trout. who got called up and hit 5 homers as a 19 year old.
    yeah he got called up later in the year last year. not sure if he started every day.
    harper is expected to produce now, and be their every day left fielder. he is in the bottom part of the order now, but nats expect him to be their 5th or so hitter by years end. assuming they are healthy. (morurse and zimmerman)
    this is going off topic but, its amazing the nats are doing so good without their best offensive player in mourse. .365 obp and 30 hrs. best all around hitter. and zimmerman too. anther .300 hitter. 25 hrs.

if they ever are fully healthy, they are team to watch to go all the way. i mean storen has to come back fully heatlhy to be their close, lidge to be the 8th guy.

starsburgh, said it from the start of his call up. best sp in the league. he hasn't given up a hr this year, or last year in his 1 month of work.
    zimmerman is an ace that no one talks about. he doens't have great strike out rates, he just gets the job done. doesn't walk many, just gets people to get out.

zoo youk

yeah he got called up later in the year last year. not sure if he started every day.
    harper is expected to produce now, and be their every day left fielder. he is in the bottom part of the order now, but nats expect him to be their 5th or so hitter by years end. assuming they are healthy. (morurse and zimmerman)
    this is going off topic but, its amazing the nats are doing so good without their best offensive player in mourse. .365 obp and 30 hrs. best all around hitter. and zimmerman too. anther .300 hitter. 25 hrs.

if they ever are fully healthy, they are team to watch to go all the way. i mean storen has to come back fully heatlhy to be their close, lidge to be the 8th guy.

starsburgh, said it from the start of his call up. best sp in the league. he hasn't given up a hr this year, or last year in his 1 month of work.
    zimmerman is an ace that no one talks about. he doens't have great strike out rates, he just gets the job done. doesn't walk many, just gets people to get out.
    problem is their offense is starting to go completely in the tank. could hit a long losing streak. they cant buy runs right now. they struck out 9 times against Capuano today.

neverstoppers23

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    problem is their offense is starting to go completely in the tank. could hit a long losing streak. they cant buy runs right now. they struck out 9 times against Capuano today.
    cappy has been alright this year. yes right now their offense is struggling, but if you get mourse and zimmerman back in there. its going to make all the difference. i fully expect the nats to be very active at the trade deadline for some bullpen help, and maybe a power bat.

zoo youk

I like em over all too but not really sure if davey johnson is the right guy for these young kids

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

I'm happy for the kid... being a Las Vegan it's been fun rooting this hometown boy on these past five years or so since he started getting press.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

throwing his helmet was very gay

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

this kid sucks....shitty game winning double tonight

OP

blackbeSSt

^^ wow, 1 for 3. Right place right time I guess?

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

you are just as idiotic as you claim the OP to be. anyone making an sort of judgment after less than a week of at bats is deserving of that title. same would be true if he had no hits.

TheCentaur

I was waiting for someone to dig this up

Kid is doing well

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    ^^ wow, 1 for 3. Right place right time I guess?
    well he is hitting .375 and surely he'll hit a rough patch but the kid has clearly shown he can hit big league pitching

what's funny is how many morons in here can pass judgement without actually watching someone play

take for instance the op who posted a video of spring training when he was slumping because of mechanics which have been repaired for over a month

First 123 Last