PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who Was Your Favorite And/Or Best Race Horse You Ever Saw?

In honor of one of America's greatest traditions, the Kentucky Derby, which also signifies the start of the Triple Crown, I would like to know who was your favorite and/or best race horse in your life?

It could be any horse it doesn't have to be a famous one.

One of my favorite horses is one that won me a lot of money a long time ago.

His name was "Coach K's Kids" and I bet on him to win because I'm a Duke fan lol.

I remember seeing the name and I said to myself oh yeah I'm betting that.

Only time I ever saw him race but he won and I had a smile on my face a mile wide all day long.

Never forgot him.
    Points Awarded:

Jayvegas420 gave PhillyFlyers 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Jayvegas420

Dr. J Trotter
    Dr. J Trotter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 195

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

mr hands

Bigshooter
    Bigshooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

2002 Kentucky Derby

$200 to win on War Emblem at 21-1

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mr. Ed

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

due to horse discrimination he never found work in Hollywood again. same for following generations.

fukking beastial-ists

Dr. J Trotter
    Dr. J Trotter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 195

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshooter View Post
    2002 Kentucky Derby

Victor Espinosa

To this day Ive never seen a horse go wire to wire in the derby.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

One of the first to really make an impression on me was Affirmed and Alydar during the Triple crown run. Both were great horses and so closely matched, but once Affirmed got a lead he just wouldn't let it go. Each time Alydar looked like he was gonna pass, Affirmed just dug a little deeper. When it looked certain Alydar was gonna get that edge, Affirmed just always had a little more, really amazing. I always kinda felt bad for Alydar, if it were any other year, he probably woulda been a triple crown winner as well. Affirmed just had a lot of heart and just did not want to lose.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshooter View Post
    2002 Kentucky Derby

LOL Funny you mentioned him.

My all-time favorite horse.

I knew he was going to win the Kentucky Derby. Told everyone for a week to bet him.

What an incredible horse.

He's in Japan now.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Cigar in person at Arlington Park...a race created for him and he smoked them all

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Affirmed. Secretariat was obviously a better horse, but Affirmed was the gamest I've seen.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Live or on TV? I have seen a lot of both. Cigar and Zenyatta live obviously top the list.

Sunday Silence at the gulfstream breeders cup would be up there too. he and Easy goer had faced off many times and they had one of the best 'rivalries' in horse racing pretty much. but that breeders cup race was just like most of the others. Easy Goer the big favorite and Sunday Silence beating him in a close race. Only blow out was ironically when easy goer beat him the belmont by about 10 lengths.

But these horses of today cant stack up to the ones from years gone by. Theyre all bred for speed now and why you wont ever see a triple crown winner again unless they modify it or someone tries to breed a horse specifically for that challenge, which still obviously isnt a real advantage.

But Zenyatta is the closest to a throw back horse I have seen recently.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Affirmed. Secretariat was obviously a better horse, but Affirmed was the gamest I've seen.

Loved that race. Several times it looked Alydar was gonna blow past him and Affirmed just always found that little extra.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    Loved that race. Several times it looked Alydar was gonna blow past him and Affirmed just always found that little extra.
    He did that all the time which is precisely why I chose him. Secretariat was great but he was hardly ever under any pressure usually winning easily (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

Alysheba

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

Chinook Pass in the 82 Palos Verdes at Santa Anita. Absolutely the fastest horse I have ever seen in person, and I believe this was his first SoCal race. I won a ton from friends who said he would never get the lead in the race. Not only did he get the lead, he was never headed and won easily.

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

I tailed Zenyatta from her 14th win at the Breeders Cup on to her last race when I had a gir down...

It was the greatest comeback that never was.

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

When Super Saver won the Kentucky Derby. My only career horse cash.

Justin_sane
    not insane
    Justin_sane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Holy Bull

Watching him run with my old man.

Ethan1122
    Ethan1122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

Smarty Jones

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

I won a race horse in a poker game,,,,My uncle ran 2 games 1 in Yonkers 1 in the Bronx I dealt for him when I was 17. After work I played poker and beat a guy out of 2700 he wanted to give me a race horse for it a standard bred. I knew an old trainer who was really good with horses I was friends with his son, He came and looked at the horse he was about 250 lbs over wieght hadnt raced in a year shaggy looked like crap. Eddie the trainer looked at his lines on paper then looked the horse over he did some strange things like grabbed at his back which made the horse buckle he comes over an says how much? I said well its 2700 but he lost that to me ...He said make the deal. Eddie works him over at the farm and finds a huge infection in his hoof we cut part of it away train him to swim so theres no wear an tear and bingo 6 months later I take him up to qualify at Monti looking to get him in a 3 or 5 claimer Eddie drives the qualifier himself Sarafella wins by 30 lenghts
    we took him to Yonkers after that ...He goes on to win 6 of the 9 races I owned him before he was claimed for 15k ...He may not have been a great horse to a lot of people but to me he was my monster I had more fun at that time in my life than any other time,
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Rio DiNero, dj_destroyer, RubberKettle, and visualrealism

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

I like horses

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3229

Best race I saw live was when Birdstone beat Smarty jones in the Belmont in 04 to deny Smarty the Triple Crown. Great race call by Tom Durkin. Best I saw on replay was the the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer preakness.

Arletta
    Arletta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    I won a race horse in a poker game,,,,My uncle ran 2 games 1 in Yonkers 1 in the Bronx I dealt for him when I was 17. After work I played poker and beat a guy out of 2700 he wanted to give me a race horse for it a standard bred. I knew an old trainer who was really good with horses I was friends with his son, He came and looked at the horse he was about 250 lbs over wieght hadnt raced in a year shaggy looked like crap. Eddie the trainer looked at his lines on paper then looked the horse over he did some strange things like grabbed at his back which made the horse buckle he comes over an says how much? I said well its 2700 but he lost that to me ...He said make the deal. Eddie works him over at the farm and finds a huge infection in his hoof we cut part of it away train him to swim so theres no wear an tear and bingo 6 months later I take him up to qualify at Monti looking to get him in a 3 or 5 claimer Eddie drives the qualifier himself Sarafella wins by 30 lenghts
    we took him to Yonkers after that ...He goes on to win 6 of the 9 races I owned him before he was claimed for 15k ...He may not have been a great horse to a lot of people but to me he was my monster I had more fun at that time in my life than any other time,
    Great story.
    Points Awarded:

Rio DiNero gave Arletta 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Arletta
    Arletta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    Best race I saw live was when Birdstone beat Smarty jones in the Belmont in 04 to deny Smarty the Triple Crown. Great race call by Tom Durkin. Best I saw on replay was the the Sunday Silence/Easy Goer preakness.
    I remember being so devastated that day... I really thought we were going to see history again that day... What an incredible run for Birdstone though. He stole my heart after seeing that.

(I still wear my Smarty Jones caps = : >)

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    The Affirmed / Alydar I posted above was just as good as Sunday Silence / Easy Goer.

LT Profits

And then there was Broad Appeal’s amazing stretch run in Japan where he ran the final quarter in 22.something. The race caller is annoying so just watch it muted and enjoy.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

Never anything like this

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by wtt0315 View Post

Never anything like this

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Big Brown (sorry bronxer)

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The 78 Belmont Stakes was an all time great and racing was huge back then in USA
    That race just had a big impact on racing
    One I will always remember
    New generation horse racing whore shit

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nile Green at Oaklawn park

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3229

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    The 78 Belmont Stakes was an all time great and racing was huge back then in USA
    That race just had a big impact on racing
    One I will always remember
    New generation horse racing whore shit

Would not agree that new racing generation is whore shit. I think a more appropriate statement is that would apply to boxing today as compared to 20 years ago.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13533

Secretariat aside, John Henry (no not the red sox owner). Look him up. He went against the best of his era. Stud!

John Henry (March 9, 1975 – October 8, 2007) had 39 wins, with $6,591,860 in earnings.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan1122 View Post
    Smarty Jones

+1

Should have been a triple crown winner if anyone but Stewart Elliiot was on his back.

123 Last