Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Can Accountant Les Brown make the Miami Dolphins?

never played college football, but neither did Antonio Gates.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish...miami-dolphins

Ever since Dan Marino retired, the Miami Dolphins have wasted a lot of money signing top college football players to contracts that never really paid off, so now they've decided to give accountants a try.
    In short, the story seems to have been delivered directly from a Hollywood script. Les Brown, an accountant at a private equity investment firm in West Palm Beach, Fla., just signed a contract to play tight end for the Dolphins.
    Generally speaking, if you don't play football in college, your chances of signing a professional contract are close to zero, but those are just the kind of odds Brown has defied.
    Like many young men, he was a star in baseball, basketball and football while attending high school in Utah. Brown was even recruited to play football at BYU, but he decided basketball would be his sport.
    "I didn't have the body to play football. I was a tall, skinny kid who liked to sit outside and shoot threes," Brown told the Salt Lake Tribune.
    In the end, Brown chose to play basketball at Westminster College, a small private liberal arts college in Salt Lake City. While playing shooting guard for the Griffins, Brown took an internship at Huntsman Gay Global Capital. The Salt Lake Tribune's Gordon Monson reports that after the company presented him with a full-time job offer, he dropped out of school, and gave up his hoop dreams to work at the firm.

<form action="http://thepostgame.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=6192fc874f8ba21d848500dcd&id=9498 2e4978" method="post" id="**-embedded-subscribe-form" name="**-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" target="_blank" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; "><i style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; "><input type="text" class="text" value="Email Address" name="EMAIL" id="mce-EMAIL" style="width: 163px; height: 21px; padding-top: 11px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 11px; padding-left: 0px; margin-left: 10px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; float: left; letter-spacing: -1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); "><input type="submit" name="" class="btn" value="" id="**-embedded-subscribe" style="width: 82px; height: 43px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-left: 1px; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; float: left; letter-spacing: -999px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0px; background-image: url(http://css.thepostgame.com/sites/all...t/sprite.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); cursor: pointer; background-position: -64px -654px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; "></i>
    We will never share your email address. You can unsubscribe anytime.
    </form>

After the company closed the doors on its Salt Lake City offices, Brown was shifted to the West Palm Beach branch. After just seven months, he had enough, deciding to return home to Utah in July of 2011 to finish his degree.
    Brown was helping his brother, Braden, an offensive lineman at BYU get ready for the draft when he stumbled across a man who would change his life.
    Chad Ikei, a trainer for BYU, became interested in helping Les, offering advice that would lead him to the NFL."He looked at me and said, 'You've got the rest of your life to work. You could be a great tight end," Brown said. "Chad was persistent, he wanted to take me on as a project."
    Eventually Brown quit school again and moved to Hawaii to workout full-time with other NFL hopefuls to get ready for pro scouts. He worked out three times a day, six days a week in a "three-month boot camp."
    All that worked was needed, since Brown had to impress cynical NFL scouts at BYU's pro day on March 29."I was a no-name guy coming out of nowhere. I knew I had to turn some heads," he said.
    In short, the results were mind-boggling.
    Brown had the best vertical jump (39 inches), broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches), 40-yard time (4.43) of all the football hopefuls attending BYU's pro day.

With his brothers in attendance and overcome with tears, Brown had done enough to receive interest from the Giants, Raiders, Colts, Packers and Dolphins. In the end, he picked the Dolphins' three-year contract offer with a small signing bonus.
    "It was an overwhelming feeling for all of us," Les Brown says. "When I quit school, some of my friends thought I was foolish, chasing some kind of high school dream. They thought I had a better shot at hitting the lottery than making the NFL. But I was doing it for me. I’d always wondered, ‘What if I had played football?’ " "All I wanted was a chance," he says. "When I started on this journey, I never thought this would happen."
    Dolphins mini-camp opens on Monday, Brown will be competing with Anthony Fasano, Charles Clay, Jeron Mastrud and Will Yeatman for a spot on Miami's 53-man roster at tight end.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

I'd say no way in hell he comes close to even making the taxi squad

won't be able to take a hit, gonna be too soft

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

That's awesome! I'm pulling for him.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Wont even come close, but good for him.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Tebow, Lin and now... Brown? If it's close he'll get it for jersey sales.

Jerm3462
    FREE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Jerm3462's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8126

Theres no way you can not play football for so many years, then come back and compete on the level those other guys are at.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm3462 View Post
    Theres no way you can not play football for so many years, then come back and compete on the level those other guys are at.
    Not from day one, but if he can hang around and learn and continue to work, it's not impossible.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Considering how bad the dolphins are they might as well start a bunch of accountants who never played college ball

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

The Miami Accountants. I like it.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    The Miami Accountants. I like it.

At least they would probably invest their money and not have to sue the league later on for some bullshit like how they didnt tell em multiple concussions could be a health risk

How was I supposed to know constantly smashing my brain against my skull could affect my memory? Whodathunk?
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 04-24-12 at 02:46 AM.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

He's no Antonio Gates. But at least he will always have a good story to tell (and his signing bonus).