ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Kentucky Derby - anyone ever hit an exotic?

The exotic prices on the big fields make me drool.

Anyone ever hit the KY Derby exacta or higher?

Might be dreaming, but my goal is for once in my lifetime hit a chunk of the trifecta or superfecta. Massive payouts, unpredictable field.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

missed a 30 k pick 4 last year because i took out a horse out a race before. Hit the exacta a few times and a tri a few years back. Also hit a win bet on mine that bird at 50-1.. and was really close to putting him/all in a exacta

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3229

Mine That Bird was 100/1 about 3 weeks out from the Derby. Considered putting money on him as he is the son of Birdstone who beat Smarty Jones in the 2004 Belmont. Then I looked at his speed figures and decided against it. Big mistake.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

I've hit a couple of exactas, but it just takes so much money to cover so many horses that might sneak into the payoffs. I love betting the Derby and the Breeders' Cup races for the payoffs, but in the case of the Derby, I wish they'd get rid of the auxiliary gate and make it 16 horses, max. There's never been a Derby with 20 legitimate candidates and there never will be.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3229

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    I've hit a couple of exactas, but it just takes so much money to cover so many horses that might sneak into the payoffs. I love betting the Derby and the Breeders' Cup races for the payoffs, but in the case of the Derby, I wish they'd get rid of the auxiliary gate and make it 16 horses, max. There's never been a Derby with 20 legitimate candidates and there never will be.
    If you did away with the Auxiliary gate Mine That Bird and Giacomo never would have run and hit at 50/1 odds. Great thing about the derby is the potential huge payoffs. I believe that Super in the Giacomo derby paid $600,000.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Hit the pick 4 with Smarty Jones. I think it paid around $700.

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

ive hit the exacta the last 2 years running for the derby.....
    and plan for a "threepeat" in a few weeks

mh217
    mh217's Avatar Become A Pro!

Many times..going back to Sunday Silence over Easy Goer

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3415

thought i got ripped off 2 years ago had calvin borel on that 4 horse at 7-1 and the exacta with the 2 (forgot the names, i think ice box was the 2 or something at 10-1 ~ish). exacta was crap it was like 150 or somethin

super is very hard to hit because churchill is one of the last remaining tracks that doesnt offer dime supers (unless this has been changed very recently).

ThaWoj
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO

also didint have any exotics but had a very nice win bet on funny cide with jose santos way back in 03 when he beat empire maker and peace rules

mh217

Best way to attack that super is to find the winner and then key a single horse for 2nd, 3rd, 4th..and hook it up with 4 or 5 diff horses in each spot.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

who is the derby favorite this year?

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Exotic? I would be happy to just hit the winner once when I make my yearly donation to the pool...

mh217

No idea i won't look at that racing form till race day

Justin_sane
    not insane
    Justin_sane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Quote Originally Posted by ThaWoj View Post
    thought i got ripped off 2 years ago had calvin borel on that 4 horse at 7-1 and the exacta with the 2 (forgot the names, i think ice box was the 2 or something at 10-1 ~ish). exacta was crap it was like 150 or somethin
    $150 not bad considering last year Animal Kingdom 20/1 over Nehro 10/1 only paid 160 for a buck.

And there is always 10 cent supers, just not on derby day

Justin_sane
    not insane

Quote Originally Posted by floridagolfer View Post
    Going with your name there's never been a golf championship with the 80 plus entries/candidates and there never will be, so according to your logic they should cut the starting field size? Lol. Maybe you should stick to watching Aqueduct and Golden Gate 4/5 horse races every race.

ThaWoj
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_sane View Post

$150 not bad considering last year Animal Kingdom 20/1 over Nehro 10/1 only paid 160 for a buck.

And there is always 10 cent supers, just not on derby day
    well it was 150 for 2. but yeah 20/1 over 10/1 gotta pay at least 250 or 300 for a buck, especially considering the size of the field and the huge money spread across the exacta pool. past-posting mother fuckkkers a.k.a. arlington breeders fix-six...

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

I've hit a few exactas and a few Pick 3's, never hit a tri or higher tho.
    I like betting the Derby and love Breeder's Cup, you get such juicy odds on quality horses that you wouldn't normally see.

ThaWoj
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    I've hit a few exactas and a few Pick 3's, never hit a tri or higher tho.
    I like betting the Derby and love Breeder's Cup, you get such juicy odds on quality horses that you wouldn't normally see.

breeders cup 09, zenyatta at 5/2, best $200 investment i ever made

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by ThaWoj View Post

breeders cup 09, zenyatta at 5/2, best $200 investment i ever made
    I believe it was '06 Breeders Cup, didn't have a good feel for the mile grass race, real strong group just looked like a tossup. Played a few small exactas for action. But closer to race time, saw that the odds on Meisque's Approval never got bet down. He was having a great year but showed poorly on his last 2 races, one of those I think he threw a shoe and the other was just a plain out bad ride. He had trained well coming onto the Breeders, I figured I could throw out those last 2 races and chalk it up to bad luck and not bad form. Strong beyers and a favorable style for this race. Figured he'd get bet down to somewhere around 8-1 to 10-1. But, there he was 2 minutes to post at 25-1. Too much value to pass up, pulled out a $50 and made a $25 WP bet. He made a late charge, won by a couple of lengths for a pretty sweet score. Wish I had pulled out a $100 instead of a $50, but not bad for a value bet.

Dr. J Trotter
    Dr. J Trotter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 195

The best bet by far at the track now days is the 50cent pick4. Only problem is most likely in one of the 4 races some bs is going to happen.

So you need to have ALL in one of the legs for sure. Exactas are a rip off because of the take out. Trifecta and Superfecta are really tough to cash as something funny always happens on the back end.

Horse racing has really went in the dumps the past 10 years due to all the criminal jockeys and trainers. Couple that with the take out its impossible to beat long term. Betting a few hundred on big race days though is worth a shot because they dont cheat on those days. On those days EVERYONE is trying 100% to win.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

had the tri the year real quiet won

also had win bet on real quiet for a hundo

a week before the race my buddy was at bellagio playing in the high stakes room at the same table with joe pesci

pesci gave everyone at the table real quiet for the derby

said he was gonna win

Justin_sane
    not insane

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J Trotter View Post
    The best bet by far at the track now days is the 50cent pick4. Only problem is most likely in one of the 4 races some bs is going to happen.

So you need to have ALL in one of the legs for sure. Exactas are a rip off because of the take out. Trifecta and Superfecta are really tough to cash as something funny always happens on the back end.

Horse racing has really went in the dumps the past 10 years due to all the criminal jockeys and trainers. Couple that with the take out its impossible to beat long term. Betting a few hundred on big race days though is worth a shot because they dont cheat on those days. On those days EVERYONE is trying 100% to win.
    Whole post full of LOLZ

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68483

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. J Trotter View Post

Unreal

homerbush
    homerbush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3780

I hit the War Emblem/Proud Citizen exacta a $1 box. Paid between $600-$700. My best triple crown exotic was later that season when I hit the exacta with Sarava on top at 70-1 for the Belmont. Paid between $1200-$1300.

CaptainBodgit
    CaptainBodgit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

i hit the Monarchos invisible ink tri in 2001 payed pretty well will try pick 4s this year for the first time

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

I hit the trifecta 2 years ago. I usually just do the box 3.
    Unfortunately for me, it was for on SBR race track so it got capped at 2000 points... ( i think i only did 2points box)