WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Whose bullpen situation is worse?

Cubs or Red Sox? It's gotta be Boston, right? They at least expect to have games to win.....

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19468

Boston is definitely worse.

They might have to trade somebody if Melancon and Aceves can't get their saves

WvGambler

I wouldn't say "definately". Wood and Marmol have been dreadful...but yes Aceves and Melancon have been worse. I'd love to see someone make a big offer for Aroldis Chapman. Dusty baker is letting that kid rot in Cincy.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

It's amazing to me that these teams don't have relievers.

It's like a football team with no kicking game -- you cannot win without it. Period.

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

RedSux =

WvGambler

My Pirates will be getting calls in the morning for Hanrahan I bet.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    My Pirates will be getting calls in the morning for Hanrahan I bet.
    great player.

Would be top 5 if he had a team

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Bobby Vee is going to wish he never took that gig in Boston.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Giants choking a 6-0 lead away.

MLB in April is the most useless thing in mankind.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

This topic is a rather moot point. Very few teams have a good bullpen.

Hurls
    Hurls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Bobby Vee is going to wish he never took that gig in Boston.
    And I am going to wish we didnt get him unless he starts kicking some dirt at the umps The team looks awful I would love some entertainment, like the other guy said above no bullpen you cant win and the Sox dont have one at all

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Red Sox did just play the most offensively potent team in baseball. I want to see them against a regular team before I'd say they are worse than the Cubs. Not looking good so far.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

San Francisco Gays bullpen is a complete joke as well. All I hear is how great their pitching is, how great their bullpen is. What I see are a bunch of retarded gaylords that getting ass-fukked every single game.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
    And I am going to wish we didnt get him unless he starts kicking some dirt at the umps The team looks awful I would love some entertainment, like the other guy said above no bullpen you cant win and the Sox dont have one at all
    I'm a Yankee fan, and I thought Aceves was the real deal, I still do, don't give up on him yet.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Boston has the worst bullpen situation in baseball but only because of that Bailey injury. If they bring Bard in as closer and slide Padilla or Aceves into the rotation it'll be better. Aceves' stuff isn't fooling anyone and Melancon isn't an outright upgrade.

I'd say Perez in Cleveland is going to get ugly fast. They have Pestano so they should be okay.

Broxton closing for KC is fukking brutal. Holland should be closer sooner rather than later.

Capps in MIN and Johnson on BAL are brutal, too.

Let's not forget with Farnsworth hurt Rodney is closing for TB. He's getting the job done but that's not an ideal situation.

CWS have three or four guys battling for a spot to close with Santiago being named over Thornton who I thought had it sealed up coming into the season.

Oh, and with Storen out you got a closer-by-committee situation with Brad fukking Lidge.

And that's just some of the breakdowns. So, like someone said, not many teams are looking too pretty at closer.

Hurls
    Hurls's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 663

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I'm a Yankee fan, and I thought Aceves was the real deal, I still do, don't give up on him yet.
    I haven't given up on Aceves I think he will do ok this year, I just think the Sox and the Yankees actually didnt make many good off season acquisitons.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

all of these blow saves is a good thing for baseball and the way teams are managed.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    all of these blow saves is a good thing for baseball and the way teams are managed.
    What does that even mean?

antifoil
    Update your status

the save is a made up stat by some journalist. it is a terrible use of bullpen resources.

you want your best reliever to face guys in high leverage situations not based on what inning it is.

good managers just name someone the closer so they don't have to deal with all the questions about who the closer is. alot of times managers give the closer role to players that closed before not their best reliever. this way they have the closer and can still use the best reliever in the high leverage situations.

another reason is the GMs can use the closer role to make someone a type A free agent where they can get compensation picks when another team signs them. the save stat is also used in arbitration when pricing a players salary. it is a great way for smaller market clubs to keep a great farm system. i am not sure how the new CBA affects this though.

it is a good thing because maybe the casual baseball fan will finally catch on to this reasoning. a long shot i know.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    the save is a made up stat by some journalist. it is a terrible use of bullpen resources.

you want your best reliever to face guys in high leverage situations not based on what inning it is.

good managers just name someone the closer so they don't have to deal with all the questions about who the closer is. alot of times managers give the closer role to players that closed before not their best reliever. this way they have the closer and can still use the best reliever in the high leverage situations.

another reason is the GMs can use the closer role to make someone a type A free agent where they can get compensation picks when another team signs them. the save stat is also used in arbitration when pricing a players salary. it is a great way for smaller market clubs to keep a great farm system. i am not sure how the new CBA affects this though.

it is a good thing because maybe the casual baseball fan will finally catch on to this reasoning. a long shot i know.
    Your logic doesn't make any sense if you look at any team that uses closer-by-committee systems. Show me one committee/tandem that you'd take over Rivera.

antifoil
    Update your status

Your logic doesn't make sense because you are assuming 1 facing the 7,8,9 hitters in the 9th is better than facing the 4,5,6 hitters in the 8th which it of cours is not be because better hitters bat earlier in the lineup. Not all 9th innings are created equal. This is your logical flaw. 2 he is only good because he pitches in the 9th. He is a good reliever because he is a good reliever not because of his closer status.

Why do you think you should have your best reliever pitching every time in the 9th and not when the hitters are better?