The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Jim Rome's new show...

I'm watching right now on the CBS Sports Network. I didn't even know I had this channel...

Anyway, it appears to be a duplicate of the ESPN show he had.

So, same format, and he went from ESPN to CBS Sports Network.

This doesn't seem like a lateral move. It seems like a downward move.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Jim Rome is a fukkin idiot

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Jim Rome is a fukkin idiot
    Who is that girl in your avatar? I want to make sweet love to her.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Who is that girl in your avatar? I want to make sweet love to her.
    Stay on topic

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Stay on topic
    I can't, this topic sucks. Jim Rome apparently isn't trending anymore.

How did you finish in the poker tournament?

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Rome must of signed a massive contract because I don't even know where the channel is. Rome's delivery is too robotic for me.

--- Busted out before the damn points payout---

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Rome must of signed a massive contract because I don't even know where the channel is. Rome's delivery is too robotic for me.

--- Busted out before the damn points payout---
    I'm really not a huge fan of him either, but I didn't have anything else to talk about. If you have DirecTV, it's on channel 613.

Same here. I'm 0 for 2.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10251

[QUOTE=GUMMO77;14339876]Rome must of signed a massive contract because I don't even know where the channel is. Rome's delivery is too robotic for me.
    QUOTE]

Robotic is a very good description...
    CBS threw the vault at Rome.
    CBS Sports is a giant step up from ESPN. (imho)

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Turned to 613 once to watch some CUSA NCAAF game and never went back

Nobody is even aware of that desolate channel and if they were they wouldnt go there to watch a shit show. No idea what CBS is thinking

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

yeah they backed the truck up for this guy for soem reason. I guess they want cross over from his radio show, but I didnt think he had more thana coupl emillion listeners, so I dont see how that is going to translate onto a network sports channel.

But he is also going to be making appearances during other things all year.

If you ask me frank caliendo doing a spoof of rome would be more entertaining and probably more insightful. Guy lost te best part of his show, the guy that used to write all his legit sports material, without that he is just all schtick. When he tries to make a legit observation he sounds like someone who never watched sports a day in his life. he is a reader, a guy who can use a teleprompter and sound half way intelligent as long as what is written is halfway smart. Without that he is a tool.

The Giant

Anyone have any idea of how much he got paid for this?

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Rome dont make shit from the tv show

He makes upwards of 30 mill a year from radio show

Radio show also much better

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.

Exactly, his radio show is lucrative. I use to like it more when he had real opinions on athletes; now it's like he doesn't want to talk shiit about anyone that has an ass-sniffs chance to be on the show.

Br0nxer

I listen to the podcast radio showevery day

But i fast forward thru the interviews.

Its the worst part of the show

I just like his schtick

Funny as shit

No comparison between tv and radio show

CrazyCarl
    CrazyCarl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2162

Rome is better than most the ESPN guys, at least.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow, just might be the most overpriced hack to ever walk the earth

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

30 mill a year????????? no fkn way not a chance

19th Hole

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    I listen to the podcast radio showevery day

But i fast forward thru the interviews.

Its the worst part of the show

I just like his schtick

Funny as shit

No comparison between tv and radio show
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Rome thinks his interviews are his strong suit.
    Yeah...He makes near 30m/year from the radio.....
    ~~~~~
    (01/11/2012
    Jim Rome's New CBS Sports Deal Includes Two Shows, Contributions To Network Programs

By John Ourand, Staff Writer

Rome will make his CBS' debut during this year's Final Four broadcast
    Jim Rome will host new shows on CBS Sports Network and Showtime and be an on-air contributor for the CBS broadcast stations in a wide-ranging deal that was announced today. The move is a coup for CBS Sports Network, bringing a recognizable name to the channel, which is in about 42 million homes and has been looking to add daily programming to try to set itself apart. "One of the goals for CBS Sports Network is to try to come up with some high-profile, instantly recognizable programming," said CBS Sports Chair Sean McManus. "With rights fees in the hundreds of millions of dollars, we have to be creative." CBS Sports Exec VP & Network President David Berson spearheaded the negotiations, which resulted in a multiyear deal. CBS Sports Network will launch a 30-minute show called "Rome" on CBS Sports Network on April 3 at 6:00pm ET. Rome told THE DAILY that the show would be similar to his ESPN show "Jim Rome Is Burning." "Probably, at the top of the show, you're going to get me ranting on the topics of the day," he said. "I'm going to try and get the biggest names and do really sharp interviews. We'll get a talking head or two and break down the issues of the day. I'm not going to break this thing apart and reinvent it." Rome's Showtime show will launch in the fall and feature interviews with athletes and entertainers. "I'm just going to do what I've always done," Rome said. "I would imagine on a network like that, without being irresponsible or being reckless, I could probably take a chance or two and dial it up a bit and see where it gets me."

COVERING THE BIG EVENTS: Rome will be part of the CBS broadcast network's coverage of the NFL, NCAA Tournament and U.S. Open, where he will contribute interviews and commentary. His debut will come during coverage of the '12 NCAA Final Four. He will continue to host his daily syndicated radio show. The CBS Sports Network show will be produced from Orange County, Calif., by Generate Entertainment in association with Dick Clark Productions. Former ESPN exec Mark Shapiro will be the show's Executive Producer, and the move reunites Rome and Shapiro. They started together on Rome's first ESPN show in the early '90s, "Talk 2." Rome said, "The band is back together again. That means something. I hold him in really high regard. We've got great history. We've always said one day we'd probably end up together again." Rome will stay with ESPN through Jan. 27.

Q: Why did you do the deal to bring Jim Rome over to CBS?
    McManus: One of the goals for CBS Sports Network is to try to come up with some high-profile, instantly recognizable programming. With rights fees in the hundreds of millions of dollars, we have to be creative. When we thought of programming a daily show with Jim Rome, it seemed like a smart idea.

Q: What will his role be on the broadcast network?
    McManus: He'll be a high-profile contributor. I envision Jim coming to us with big-time interviews and unique features. Jim has a very recognizable persona. He has an amazing relationship with the most prominent athletes of our time. To have him be able to take those connections and his unique take and his unique perspective and utilize those on "NFL Today," coverage of the NCAA basketball championship, U.S. Open tennis and other CBS Sports events also seemed like a good idea for us.

Q: How is former ESPN executive Mark Shapiro involved?
    McManus: Mark's company, Dick Clark Productions, will be producing the show for CBS Sports Network. Mark will be Executive Producer of the show. Jim is very comfortable with Mark.

Q: Why did you do this deal?
    Rome: When the CBS family comes calling and you have the opportunity to work for a company like that and a brand like that, you just don't say no. When I was in college, I always wanted to do this. But one of my primary goals when I first got started was that I wanted to work for one of the major networks. It's a goal that I never knocked down. When I got an opportunity to do so and to be part of that family, it was way too good to pass up.

Q: How do you see your role with CBS?
    Rome: The thing that I'm known for and the thing that has kept me in the game and the thing that has gotten me to where I am -- wherever that is -- is, hopefully, I do a strong interview and a smart interview. I've got a certain point of view. The people who like it, really like it. The ones who don't, really don't. Some of the ones who don't still pay attention to it. My goal is to go out there and be provocative and be smart and give people a reason to tune in every single day. I'm going to do what I've always done. Namely, I'm going to rant and have some commentary and do some interviews.

Q: Did you leave ESPN on good terms?
    Rome: They treated me really, really well. I had a great run there. They gave me my first TV opportunity. Obviously, it's tough to leave something like that. But it's much easier to do so when you've got someplace to land and the opportunity that I have right now from the CBS family. I'm not leaving ESPN as much as I am joining the CBS famil

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

i liked it when he called jim everett "chris", but aside from that i have never had any use for the guy

Br0nxer

The Business & Pleasure of Sports

<< Previous entry: Miami Dolphins' lackluster 2012 home schedule won't help attendance woes

>> Next entry: Tebow's triumphant TD triggers $250,000 bonus, shatters Twitter record

Jim Rome's earnings from radio show exceed premier athletes' annual salaries

By Craig DavisJanuary 6, 2012 06:41 PM
    It was reported Friday that Jim Rome is ending an eight-year with his “Jim Rome is Burning” show on ESPN and moving it to the new CBS Sports Network.
    But the TV show isn’t where Rome’s bread is buttered. The eye-opening tidbit in the report was a note that Rome makes $30 million a year from his syndicated radio show, according to James Andrews Miller, who co-authored a book about ESPN.

Keep that in mind the next time someone gets apoplectic about a star athlete gets a mega contract.
    The deal Albert Pujols just signed with the Angels averages $24 million for 10 years. With incentives, it could pay him $268 million over 20 years, but that’s well short of what Rome makes to talk about sports on the radio, not counting whatever he makes for the TV show.
    Rome, in fact, rakes in more from “The Jim Rome Show” than any American athlete earns in annual salary. More than LeBron James ($14.5 million) and Dwyane Wade ($14.2 million) combined received from the Heat last season.
    James did make an additional $30 million in endorsements, and was third in total earnings among American athletes in 2011 behind Tiger Woods (62.3 million) and Phil Mickelson (61.2 million), according to the annual list compiled by SI.com. Wade ranked 11th on the Fortunate 50 at $28.2 million, including endorsements.
    The 2011 list included 19 NBA players, 17 baseball players, eight NFL players, three NASCAR drivers and three golfers. Only the top nine made as much or more than Rome gets for lecturing his “Clones” in “The Jungle.” Tom Brady was ninth with just over $30 million in combined earnings.
    Chris Bosh, the other member of the Heat’s Bit Three, just barely made the 2011 list at No. 50 with $14.5 million in salary and $1 million in endorsements.
    Here is the complete 2011 Fortunate 50 from SI.com.

buried

19th Hole

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    i liked it when he called jim everett "chris", but aside from that i have never had any use for the guy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Classic take...."Chrissy" throwing the coffee table towards Rome.
    You wanted to see both of them bloodied. Rome looked like he sh!t
    his pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uczUKTwgqeY
    Last edited by 19th Hole; 04-03-12 at 10:47 PM.