BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Would you put it past someone like Trump to buy all winning lottery ticket combos?

Not sure if it's still legal to do as it was a few years back where a foreign syndicate cornered the market on the Pennsylvania lottery that had a huge rollover pot.If someone rich did do it,they would piss off all the poor wageslaves and there would be a revolt and boycott of the rich guys empire or empires.

The thing is,there is alot of risk doing this because you could have multi winners shrinking your winning share of the pot.

On the last go around doing this,they actually had to get all the tickets printed and at lottery drawing time,they still had a little ways to get the tickets bought and printed.They won none the less.Too bad you can't just go to the lottery office with the cash and get it electronically blipped that you bought every combination.

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

There is a 1 in 176,000,000 chance. You would come out 400,000,000 ahead

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Trump is credit heavy and cash light. He couldn't get anyone to sell him that many tickets.

jrs362
    jrs362's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2554

I've said it in a couple other threads, but it's nearly impossible to purchase all possible combinations prior to the draw.

It would require about 500 tickets to be printed per second, for an entire 96 hour period without printing any duplicate tickets. Take into account the time it would take the store clerk to manually select the numbers, print the ticket, and eventually change the paper roll in the printer, and you're looking at needing to print several thousand tickets per second to achieve it.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by Living The Dream View Post
    There is a 1 in 176,000,000 chance. You would come out 400,000,000 ahead
    sorry but fail

assuming the jackpot is $640 million then the cash payout would be $375 million. and if you bought every ticket, there is a greater than 95% chance that there is at least one other winner (they have sold 400 million tickets in just the past 48 hours).

the expected number of winners tonight is 4, so that would make it 5.
    split $375 million 5 ways and that $175 million investment gets you an expected jackpot of $75 million + the other prizes.

it would be a terrible investment to buy every combination

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    sorry but fail

assuming the jackpot is $640 million then the cash payout would be $375 million. and if you bought every ticket, there is a greater than 95% chance that there is at least one other winner (they have sold 400 million tickets in just the past 48 hours).

the expected number of winners tonight is 4, so that would make it 5.
    split $375 million 5 ways and that $175 million investment gets you an expected jackpot of $75 million + the other prizes.

it would be a terrible investment to buy every combination
    Mikaaaaaaaaaay!

How did you come up with there being a greater than 95% chance of there being at least two winner?
    I'm math illiterate.

The cash payout is $462 million pre-taxes.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

it would certainly be a better investment than the nj generals.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Op must listen to kfi too ... Bill handel talked about this today its impossible to actually get all the combos in without a ton of people helping you.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Mikaaaaaaaaaay!

How did you come up with there being a greater than 95% chance of there being at least two winner?
    I'm math illiterate.

The cash payout is $462 million pre-taxes.
    fed it into a binomial calculator assuming 600 million tickets sold

i was way off, there are actualy $1.5 billion tickets now sold and the odds of at least one winner is about as close to 100% as you can get

milwaukee mike

so change my numbers to an expected return of about $460 million cash split 10 ways so $46 million + i'm guessing about $30 million or so in all the other prizes other than the jackpot?

i think buying every ticket you would be expected to lose about 1/2 at this point, which is right around the house edge of 50%

the house edge was probably negative in the last drawing, but once this many tickets are sold then the juice is back to normal

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

if there is one other winner...you are screwed...bad bet

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

If no one wins it, heard it will be 950 mill next one. I am in Fla so I have no shit at it

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    it would certainly be a better investment than the nj generals.
    Lol.

milwaukee mike

i'm shocked only 3 people won it

but like we were saying it would've been a terrible investment to split 4 ways

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

It would take a lifetime to fill out all the lotto cards and different combos it isnt like the horse track, where you tell the teller to box all the horses you would have to fill out all those tickets sperate over 167 million combos

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

fail

besides the odds that someone else wins too

would take 28 years to fill out all of the tickets which you would have to get someone to print because there's not even near that many in existence

InSaiyan
    InSaiyan's Avatar Become A Pro!

its possible but he would need many people's help just to print out all the tickets.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Someone rich dude did this in Ireland a bunch of years ago.

Usually they are 1 in 13.9 million odds lotteries or smaller. Think he made a decent profit.

Lot of other countries don't have taxes on lotteries, pointless to do in the U.S.