stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Curt Schilling says Red Sox players hate Bobby Valentine

You’re not gonna believe this, but Curt Schilling has some hard, controversial truths about the Boston Red Sox which were revealed to him, Curt Schilling, because he is, in fact, Curt Schilling:Speaking on WEEI earlier this week, he said that several players have complained to him about Valentine’s behavior:

“I thought that the manager that managed the Mets that I was not a big fan of was now going to be a different manager, and I don’t think there’s anything different at all,” Schilling said. “And I don’t think that that is going to be conducive to doing well here. There’s a lot of things I think that are happening not just from his perspective, but when you talk to these guys—and I’m still talking to some of these guys—I don’t think this is going well. And I think it’s going bad quicker than I expected it to.”…He also said that the players don’t like how much attention Valentine has brought to the clubhouse.

And then, in a moment of complete lack of self-awareness, Schilling said this:

“The point I made the other night was that he’s doing a lot of things right now that are forcing his players to extend their media involvement to answer questions about him and the situation when it’s already a challenge enough to do it, to play in this market and to win,” he said.

Because Schilling never, ever did that. Oy.Anyway, Curt Schilling has been out of baseball since 2007. I wonder how much of his insight here is really based on him talking to a lot of Red Sox players and how much of it is based on him talking to, say, one or two of them and then filling in the rest with his own opinion. Which, as far as the Red Sox clubhouse is concerned, doesn’t matter one iota.Even if Schilling is right, though, every team is going to have guys who hate the manager. Indeed, as Casey Stengel once said: “the secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.” So great, Schilling found the guys that hate Valentine. News flash.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

been news for a while that players hated bobby v since he came in. they'll come around. Curt schilling is just a fuckin weirdo.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

I agree with him in that I never think it's really good when the manager is a 'star' and draws attention to himself, etc. Especially in baseball. These days prefer sort of the nondescript under the radar younger baseball guy that works hard, communicates with players, good with numbers. I don't think 'big names' work well anymore. The Valentine hire was a puzzling and bad one.

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11934

i like curt. he tells it like it is. he holds nothing back

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

interesting, i thank the red sox for getting bobby v off the airwaves

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

bobby v is 10x the ingame manager that francona was. fans are happy with the coaching change and its beneficial to the players whether they see it yet or not.

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

Highly doubt that. Bobby v is the ultimate players manager. Guys love playing for him. Japan idolizes him. Hard guy not to like.

Finch Dinero
    Finch Dinero's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why is Schillings fat asss always opening his mouth....guys fukkin annoying to be honest.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

the nation will be fine.

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

Since when are managers supposed to be liked? All they have to be is respected. I hated my college coach, but respected the fuk out of him.

Sox are a bunch of pussies

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Living The Dream View Post
    Since when are managers supposed to be liked? All they have to be is respected. I hated my college coach, but respected the fuk out of him.

Sox are a bunch of pussies
    I hated my coach too, he worked (we thought) us way too hard, make us run wind sprints, that sort of thing.
    I once struck out looking at a curve ball from one of the best curve ball throwing starter (Jonathan Brown) in the nation. Guy started a curve at the bill of my cap, settled in at my ankles, crossing the pate at my waist, but I digress, I walked back to the bench, Coach says to me " WTF was that, you made the team for your hitting", I told him, "here, take the bat, you get in there and hit that curve" long story short, he benched me the next game for that comment.

Middle of the season we were 37-8. It wasn't because he was loose manager and didn't know how to win.....

Yeah, I respected my coach too, didn't really like the way he rode and worked us either.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Bobby V better give and take a little or else its going to be a long summer in beantown. Losing makes hating someone even worse.

stevenash

Curt Schilling said that the Red Sox players hate Bobby Valentine. Josh Beckett then turned around with this:[COLOR=#333333 !important]
    [COLOR=#333333 !important]WEEI[/COLOR]@WEEI
    Josh Beckett on WEEI responding to Curt Schilling's comments on Bobby V: "I haven't seen him around this year. Is he one of our pitchers?"

29 Mar 12
    [/COLOR]
    No, Josh. He’s not. He’s just that sad old guy who keeps hanging around his old high school, telling everyone about how it used to be. Go ahead, ask him: he’ll tell you how he scored four touchdowns in a single game that one time.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

^ lol

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

What Curt actually meant was, "I Hate Bobby Valentine!"

dogthebountyman
    dogthebountyman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Didn't Wade Boggs hurt himself taking off cowboy boots ?

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

funny coming from schilling seeing as how 98% of baseball can't stand him

schilling was a know it all blowhard when he played and still is

most people in baseball couldn't stand him