DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

key to hitting you must have tremendous eyesight to hit a fastball

traveling at 90 m.p.h. or more you must have better than 20 -20 vision in fact the team eye docs will give you contacts so your eyesight is adjusted to 20 -15.Many players want to use laser surgury ,but this often develops coning or halos which may knock you right out of the big leaques. the absolute best vision is 20-8. So teams are using every edge to try to put the best sighted players on the field.Of course eyesight is only a piece of the puzzle you must also have tremendous eye hand coordination and have good strength. No wonder why hitting a ball is the hardest thing to do in any sport. Interestingly this whole process of hitting a 90 m.p.h. takes less than a half of a second. On top of that you must decide to swing or not to swing in .043 seconds.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hitting is something your born with

Lefties much better than righties also

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Hitting is something your born with

Lefties much better than righties also
    Thats not true. It just appears that way because lefties hit righties better than lefty pitchers and the opposite for righty hitters.

There are more righty pitchers, so it seems that way.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Its all timing. No one sees high ninties, to 100 mph pitches. They try to see it coming out of the pitchers hands, and time the pitch.

Great eyesight helps everthing.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32811

You have 2/5th of a second to make a decision.

Wade Boggs, one of the greatest 'hitters' I ever saw said his philosophy is "wait and weight"
    Wait for the pitch to come to you and weight on the back foot.

Ted Williams said, "The hitter must swing level to the ball - not level to the ground."

Mile Piazza said "Stay on top of the ball. A slight downward swing allows this and is a good way to keep from upper-cutting. Keeping the front shoulder in and down also allows a hitter to get the bat head out in front and prevents dropping the back shoulder."

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Hitting the fastball is all timing.

IMO, eyesight is more important in recognizing spin on breaking balls.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Superior hand-eye coordination.

BathingApe
    BathingApe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 662

In high school I could hit an 85 mph fastball like nothing. When I faced a top college prospect that threw 95 it was ridiculously fast I was lucky to even get the barrel on the ball. Coupled with the fact that you have off speed and it's crazy. I was never one to try and read the pitch out of the hand, but I had pretty good hand eye coordination but when it gets up in the nineties it's a rare skill.