Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Illini, who do we get now that Shaka turned us down??

You believe the balls on that guy to turn down 2.5 Million a year!!

Who's it going to be, and don't say Jimmy Collins or Wayne Mclain

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Shaka Smart can't handle Big 10 basketball. He made that very clear. He'd rather beat up on UNCW and William and Mary than butt heads with Izzo, Painter, Belein, Thad, Bo Ryan.

I really hope his luck runs out and he never sees another contract offer like this in his life. VCU was a couple of shots away from missing the tournament entirely this year and last year so there is no guarantee an elite team like Kansas/Kentucky/Duke/UNC will ever call his number.

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 368

Reports say Buzz Williams is the second choice. I'd be happy to land him. Already is familiar with recruiting the Chicago area at Marquette.

Brock Landers

i am hearing lorenzo romar and frank martin

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

everybody and their momma know he waiting for ucla job

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Shaka Smart can't handle Big 10 basketball. He made that very clear. He'd rather beat up on UNCW and William and Mary than butt heads with Izzo, Painter, Belein, Thad, Bo Ryan.
    I don't think the guy is afraid of the challenge. He's happy with where he's at and I respect that. Too many coaches are all about the money grab.

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    i am hearing lorenzo romar and frank martin
    I like Martin, but please not Lorenzo.

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    Really? Is that what he told you when you had dinner with him last week.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by msutter View Post
    I don't think the guy is afraid of the challenge. He's happy with where he's at and I respect that. Too many coaches are all about the money grab.
    He is happy where he is at because he knows that all he has to do to be successful at VCU is get to the tournament and spring an upset every couple of years.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think he has the balls to go to Illinois where they expect Big 10 titles and/or sweet 16's as the basis for a successful season.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

He was told that his #1 mission would be to go hard at inner-city Chicago kids. He was afraid of getting too heavy into that (sometimes slimy) scene.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

everybody at ucla been talking about it for 2 weeks now...i live here..... the ad and and some of smart's people been talking behind the scene. watch for howland to get fired

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Shaka wouldn't of been a good fit, trust me the big time Alumni and the big time money funders wanted nothing to do with Shaka... He would ruin our program... Wayne McClain, Sergio McClain, Jerance Howard or jimmy Collins

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

jim harrick.

Brock Landers

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Shaka wouldn't of been a good fit, trust me the big time Alumni and the big time money funders wanted nothing to do with Shaka... He would ruin our program... Wayne McClain, Sergio McClain, Jerance Howard or jimmy Collins

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO

He is happy where he is at because he knows that all he has to do to be successful at VCU is get to the tournament and spring an upset every couple of years.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think he has the balls to go to Illinois where they expect Big 10 titles and/or sweet 16's as the basis for a successful season.
    I would argue that the majority of coaches at this level believe they can be successful anywhere they go. You don't just fall into a head coaching job in division 1 basketball. These guys are tireless workers and are extremely confident in their abilities. Plus even if Shaka were to get fired after 4 years of being the head coach at Illinois (which wouldn't happen) he would have still made more money than he would have in 8 years at VCU. He's obviously not worried about job security.

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO

everybody at ucla been talking about it for 2 weeks now...i live here..... the ad and and some of smart's people been talking behind the scene. watch for howland to get fired
    If that was the case Howland would have been fired this year. What happens if UCLA is successful next year? The behind the scenes plan you speak of would be ruined.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

Quote Originally Posted by msutter View Post
    If that was the case Howland would have been fired this year. What happens if UCLA is successful next year? The behind the scenes plan you speak of would be ruined.

ucla kept him and said he is our man because they was scared of losing their recruiting class. esp with signing day coming april 11th

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO

ucla kept him and said he is our man because they was scared of losing their recruiting class. esp with signing day coming april 11th
    I'm pretty sure Shaka would be able to convince the majority of the recruits to stay if not all of them. Anytime there is a coaching change you risk the possibility that a recruit or two may not stay. It would be no different next year.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

just giving info that was going around here..i know he was intrigue with the job

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

big ten would be tough for him....but he has the coaching skills and dont forget it!

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

They might as well sh*tcan everything and try something different, hire Nick Anderson or Kendall Gill and see what happens.

PickWinnerAllDay

VCU struggles the next few years and Shaka never gets an offer above 2 million again. Big risk he's taking.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

with chicago kids...is it that some dont want to go to the sticks(champange-urbana) and just stay and go to depaul or marquette?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

VCU struggles the next few years and Shaka never gets an offer above 2 million again. Big risk he's taking.
    He's got an 8 year deal and they'll adore him there even if he never makes another tourney. $1.2 million or $2.5 million, he's set for life either way. It's a big risk depending on how he looks at it. Maybe he'd just rather be a big fish in a small pond.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

with chicago kids...is it that some dont want to go to the sticks(champange-urbana) and just stay and go to depaul or marquette?
    Who's going to DePaul? Could change but DePaul hasn't recruited Chicago elite for 20+ years. Marquette is an option, but not common. The top and one dones just seem to want to go to the national elites -- Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina et al. Could take a lot to change that.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Who's going to DePaul? Could change but DePaul hasn't recruited Chicago elite for 20+ years. Marquette is an option, but not common. The top and one dones just seem to want to go to the national elites -- Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina et al. Could take a lot to change that.
    that why i'm asking why they dont want to go to illnois?

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16685

Hubie Brown would be an excellent choice

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

I really hope his luck runs out and he never sees another contract offer like this in his life. VCU was a couple of shots away from missing the tournament entirely this year and last year so there is no guarantee an elite team like Kansas/Kentucky/Duke/UNC will ever call his number.

you were begging for him for weeks, now you say he can't handle it.... unreal...

I've already said this several times...

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

I don't know if Buzz would leave marq or not, they would prob just match their offer...

I really like Anthony Grant, but we'll see...

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

I find it refreshing to see people like Shaka and Brad Stevens over at Butler. The money isn't everything to everybody. In this "money grab" era, its nice to see some guys that just want to be comfortable and enjoy what they are doing.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

that why i'm asking why they dont want to go to illnois?
    It's not that they don't want to go to U of Illinois, it's just that they want full national exposure going big time with UK, UNC, KU, DU, etc. And Illinois has gotten some over the years, but boy oh boy they've managed to get the disasters (see e.g. Jereme Richmond, even Brandon Paul) lately.

Through 2011, in terms of Illinois Mr. Basketball (that went to college), Illinois got 2 (Richmond and Paul) of the last 3. Before that they missed on 5 straight (to MSU, Kansas, Duke, Memphis, SIU). But from '94-'02, Illinois got 5 straight (Gee, McCalin, Williams, Cook, Brown) Mr. Basketballs (the other 4 went straight to NBA).

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post

you were begging for him for weeks, now you say he can't handle it.... unreal...

I've already said this several times...

I'm saying that he is admitting he can't handle it.

Winning the CAA is a million times easier than winning at Illinois. He made his choice.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

I highly doubt thats why he turned down the offer...

Your just sour about not getting him...

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    I highly doubt thats why he turned down the offer...

Your just sour about not getting him...
    He doubted he could recruit Chicago well as his main concern. He is worried about not being able to cut it in the best conference in the country. Not that shocking. He will stay in his mickey mouse conference and play UNCW and William and Mary and Virginia School for the Blind.

1234 Last