stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Lance Berkman rips Bud Selig

St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Lance Berkman said Tuesday that Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig "extorted" new Houston Astros owner Jim Crane into changing leagues as a precondition of the sale of the franchise in November.Berkman, an Astros fan favorite for 12 seasons before his departure two years ago, called it a "travesty" four months ago when the team agreed to move to the American League in 2013 as part of baseball's new realignment plan. The Astros have played in the National League since their inception as the Houston Colt .45's in 1962.

Berkman raised the stakes before a Grapefruit League game between the Cardinals and Astros in Kissimmee, telling ESPN.com and a reporter from another outlet, "I feel basically like the commissioner extorted Jim Crane into moving the Astros."

Berkman didn't back down when asked if he has conveyed those sentiments directly to Selig. He said he would be comfortable using the word "extort" if he talks to the commissioner.

"If he called me, I would tell him," Berkman said. "I think that's exactly what it was. To tell [Crane], 'We're going to hold the sale of the team up until you guys agreed to switch'? It just happened that the Astros were being sold at an optimal time for that to happen."

Crane, a Houston businessman, signed a deal to buy the Astros for $680 million in May 2011, but asked to renegotiate the terms after the players' association and the commissioner's office agreed on a realignment plan as part of the game's new labor agreement. Baseball is switching from its current format of 16 NL teams and 14 AL clubs to a 15-15 configuration in 2013 in an effort to improve travel conditions and make for a fairer schedule, and the Astros were deemed the best choice to change leagues.

Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president of labor relations and human resources, responded to Berkman's comments for the commissioner's office.

"The 15-15 allowed us to make a number of changes in the Basic Agreement, and the Basic Agreement was ratified 30-0," Manfred said. "It got ratified 30-0 due to the efforts of Commissioner Selig, and it got ratified 30-0 even though there were individual issues that the owners may not have agreed on. In the end, they fully supported the deal."

Crane, who was at Osceola County Stadium for Tuesday's game, confirmed he received a price reduction to $615 million, with former Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr. and the 29 other MLB clubs combining to make up the $65 million difference. Crane said the Astros will have increased costs in the American League because of greater West Coast travel and the presence of the designated hitter rule.

"I think it was a good deal for baseball," Crane said. "I think it was a good deal for our owners. Would we have preferred to stay in the National League? Probably, yeah. But that wasn't the deal that was presented to us."
    When asked about Berkman's comments, Crane chose to take a more diplomatic route.

"Lance can say what Lance wants to say," Crane said. "He has great ties to the Astros and was a great player there for years. We certainly understand that he's opinionated, but I wouldn't use that strong a term. I think it was just a business deal that got renegotiated."

Berkman cited several factors in objecting to the Astros' move. Houston should get a bump in interest from playing in the same division with the Texas Rangers. But the Astros' home games against AL West opponents Seattle, Oakland and the Los Angeles Angels will air on television at 9:30 p.m. local time.

Berkman also objected to the move because of its impact on franchise tradition. Although the Astros have fallen on hard times recently, they made the playoffs six times in a nine-year span behind Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio and Berkman -- who were known as the "Killer B's."

"When you have a franchise that has 50 years as a National League entity and then switches over to the American League, I just don't like it," Berkman said. "I'm not in favor of it."

This isn't the first time that Berkman has been critical of Selig in the media. In September 2008, he was quick to make his feelings known when MLB shifted an Astros-Cubs series to Milwaukee in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

"Major League Baseball has always valued the dollar more than they do the individual, the players and their families," Berkman said at the time.

Selig responded by taking out a two-page ad in the Sunday Houston Chronicle to explain the decision to Astros fans.

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4985

Milwaukee Brewers should have went back to the American League. Oh wait....Selig used to own the Brewers...nevermind

stevenash

Selig is the biggest empty suit in the history of executives in any profession.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

whats wrong with the american league??

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

it's a travesty?

who the fukk cares what league a fukking baseball team plays in? now I'm supposed to cry me a river b/c a billionaire has to play in the AL instead of the NL

oh, another baby starving in Mongolia? who cares.... BUT!!! now have to play in the AL instead of NL..... lmfao

these athletes are out of their fukking minds

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Being from Houston, I can tell you this is a big issue there. Number 1, the Astros have been in the NL for half a century, and have built in rivalries there already. We also prefer the National League game, without a DH, because for the majority of the Astros history, they have been a "pitching first" franchise. Also, Astro fans are not looking forward to having a good portion of their road games on the west coast. Most of the division road games are going to start at 9:30 PM local time, and not many fans are going to want to stay up and watch them. Berkman hit the point straight on. The Ranger-Astros potential rivalry is just a smoke screen for what really happened.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

Just curious....did they get extorted before or after they got a $56 million discount for switching leagues?

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    whats wrong with the american league??
    More $ to field a team given the DH.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Being from Houston, I can tell you this is a big issue there. Number 1, the Astros have been in the NL for half a century, and have built in rivalries there already. We also prefer the National League game, without a DH, because for the majority of the Astros history, they have been a "pitching first" franchise. Also, Astro fans are not looking forward to having a good portion of their road games on the west coast. Most of the division road games are going to start at 9:30 PM local time, and not many fans are going to want to stay up and watch them. Berkman hit the point straight on. The Ranger-Astros potential rivalry is just a smoke screen for what really happened.
    This. Also grew up in Houston. Let's be honest first, there aren't a ton of people getting in line to watch the current version of the 'Stros - but definitely die hards get the shaft with the West Coast starts. And the Rangers-Astros "rivalry" is a crock of shit. I laugh every year about the "Sliver Boot" when announcers try to make it out to be some big rallying point when the teams play. It's a stupid trophy they created to try to add something to a series that really isn't a rivalry at all other than it being an interstate meeting. Being in the same division will make it even less important IMO than they try to make it now since they'll play 20 some odd times a year.

I totally agree with the Big Puma.

stevenash

Listened to a 20 minute interview with Milo Hamilton the other day on Ed Randall's (the best in the business) show the other day.
    Milo agrees with Berkman, and Milo has a lifelong guaranteed job with the Astros after he's done broadcasting this year.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Listened to a 20 minute interview with Milo Hamilton the other day on Ed Randall's (the best in the business) show the other day.
    Milo agrees with Berkman, and Milo has a lifelong guaranteed job with the Astros after he's done broadcasting this year.
    Milo is also 127 years old.

Maleku
    Maleku's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 301

This qualifies as a "travesty"?

These f,ucking athletes need to come back down to earth occasionally.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    This. Also grew up in Houston. Let's be honest first, there aren't a ton of people getting in line to watch the current version of the 'Stros - but definitely die hards get the shaft with the West Coast starts. And the Rangers-Astros "rivalry" is a crock of shit. I laugh every year about the "Sliver Boot" when announcers try to make it out to be some big rallying point when the teams play. It's a stupid trophy they created to try to add something to a series that really isn't a rivalry at all other than it being an interstate meeting. Being in the same division will make it even less important IMO than they try to make it now since they'll play 20 some odd times a year.

I totally agree with the Big Puma.
    i live in Houston, people down here are acting like this is the end of the world. Several fans have said they won't watch or support the team once they make the move. I personally could not care less about it, but people down here are ready to burn the city down.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

not a fan of Selig at all, need more guys in the baseball industry to speak out against him and end his reign

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I don't like this change or the new wc playoff change. Horrible moves. Chalk up Boston failing to make the playoffs for the wc expansion and houston's recent struggles for this change.

Blissit02
    Blissit02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I love you Berkman!

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    i live in Houston, people down here are acting like this is the end of the world. Several fans have said they won't watch or support the team once they make the move. I personally could not care less about it, but people down here are ready to burn the city down.
    I live in the DFW area now, so I'm not as in-tune with Houston as I once was, but I still keep up reading the Chronicle, etc. I find this hilarious about people being this upset because Houston is littered with a lot of front running fans. There are definitely some die hards, but I'd say the majority of fans for all Houston sports teams outside of the Texans [Football always #1] don't show up unless the team makes the playoffs.

It does suck though because right now you can watch all or most of a game and still get to bed by 10-11 at worst. You definitely don't get that w/the West Coast games. You can watch maybe an inning.