InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

MLB Reportedly Adding Two Teams to the Playoffs

Add one wildcard team per league to create a wildcard one game "play-in" and give division winners a couple days of extra rest and exhaust an arm and/or bullpen of the "lesser" teams

Good move to reward the better teams, except the wild card teams will still have better records than at least one division winner

Also kinda surprising because it plays against the two highest rated teams (Red Sox/Yankees) when they're 1-2 in the AL East and one will risk an early out

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I think this is a bad idea. Wild card teams already do well in the playoffs because they play for something longer than the division winners typically. Now they will not get out of sync when other teams might be.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I hate the one-game play-in, should be at least 2 out of 3, preferably 3 out of 5. There should not be a one-game playoff after playing 162 games to earn the right to be there.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    I hate the one-game play-in, should be at least 2 out of 3, preferably 3 out of 5. There should not be a one-game playoff after playing 162 games to earn the right to be there.
    agreed....seems like a knee jerk reaction to the crazy ending of this season thinking it can be duplicated with the win or you're out pressure...no way it ever could be

wade1
    wade1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Baseball will end up like the NBA and NHL playoffs. The money talks. Can't wait to watch 162 games and everyone but the last place team makes the playoffs. What a Joke

alukk
    alukk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8012

I agree with LT

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    You can make the same argument for playoffs in general. For example, the Phillies played 162 games and won 102 of them while the Cardinals only won 90. Take into account strength of schedules and it's likely the talent gap between the two teams is closer to 15-20 games than the 12 games their records suggest. Why should the Phillies even have to face the lesser cardinals in only a 5 game series? Weren't the past 162 enough to say the Phillies are better?!

It's about getting more fans excited about the post-season and therefore more fans excited to watch games and spend more money; just as it was when separate divisions were created and divisional games were added. For the most part, the two wild card teams are going to be separated by a few games at seasons end and likely are pretty equal talent-wise. What's the big deal if they only play 1 game?

And I'm not sure the PA would agree with adding another series for wild-card teams. I'm not saying more injuries will actually happen, but I'd bet no parties involved are interested in having more starters top 250 IP. If you have a WC play 162, then go through the wild card, division series, championship series, world series, you're likely to see someone hit 300 IP in the near future and I don't think owners or players want to see that.