WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

So it looks like we're feeding yet another enemy.....

WvGambler

Washington (CNN) -- North Korea has agreed to halt nuclear tests, long-range missile launches and enrichment activities at its Yongbyon nuclear complex in exchange for food aid from the United States, the State Department said Wednesday.
    The state-run North Korean news agency, KCNA, announced the agreement separately.
    "Today's announcement represents a modest first step in the right direction. We, of course, will be watching closely and judging North Korea's new leaders by their actions," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Wednesday before the House Appropriations Committee.
    In return for the moratorium on nuclear activities at this key site, the United States has agreed to a package of 240,000 metric tons of nutritional assistance to North Korea.
    Clinton: A modest first step for N. Korea Uncommon Ground: Bosworth on North Korea New book on Kim Jong Il's eldest son
    According to State Department officials who briefed reporters on condition of not being identified, the nutritional assistance will include corn-soy blend, beans, vegetable oils and ready-to-eat therapeutic food.
    There will be intensive monitoring to assure that the delivery is made to those in need and not diverted to the military or government elites, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement.
    "The DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) has also agreed to the return of IAEA inspectors to verify and monitor the moratorium on uranium enrichment activities at Yongbyon and confirm the disablement of the 5-MW reactor and associated facilities," Nuland said.
    KCNA published comments from a spokesman for North Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, saying the latest deal is part of an effort to improve relations between the two countries.
    "The U.S. reaffirmed that it no longer has hostile intent toward the DPRK and that it is prepared to take steps to improve the bilateral relations in the spirit of mutual respect for sovereignty and equality," the spokesman said, according to the news agency.
    "The U.S. also agreed to take steps to increase people-to-people exchanges, including in the areas of culture, education, and sports," the Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman said.
    The White House echoed Clinton's comments, with press secretary Jay Carney telling reporters that North Korea must demonstrate it is implementing the moratorium on nuclear activities at Yongbyon before further progress can occur.
    "Commitments are one thing, following up is another," Carney said.
    Wednesday's announcement comes just after Glyn Davies, the U.S. special representative for North Korea policy, returned from a meeting in Beijing with a North Korean delegation to discuss the North's nuclear program and the possibility of resuming U.S. food assistance to the country.
    It was the first meeting between U.S. and North Korean officials since the December death of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and the transition in leadership to his son Kim Jong Un.
    Davies described the talks as "substantive" when they ended Friday but did not announce any breakthrough at that point. From Beijing, he traveled to South Korea and Japan to brief officials on the discussions. He also met with Chinese officials before departing Beijing.
    The State Department officials who briefed reporters said the North Korean regime deserved credit for reaching out so soon after Kim Jong Il's death.
    "It shows that the new ... administration in Pyongyang is picking up where the previous one left off. And that's great; that's good," one State Department official said. "And they're doing it within the 100-day mourning period that's self-declared in North Korea. So it shows that they're interested with some alacrity to reach out, to get back to the table, and begin to try to make diplomatic progress, and I think that's a positive sign."
    In an interview with CNN in Morocco last weekend, Clinton said she saw glimmers of progress after the meetings between Davies and the North Korean delegation. "We've always said that we are willing to talk," she said. "This is the first time that, under this new leader, we've had this opportunity, and we'll follow through."
    The latest development follows years of stalemate and tension surrounding North Korea's nuclear program.
    Pyongyang agreed to curtail its nuclear activities in exchange for aid in an agreement reached in the so-called six-party talks in September 2005. Under the plan, the North agreed to abandon its nuclear programs in exchange for economic and diplomatic incentives.
    The deal fell apart after North Korea conducted nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009 and later disclosed a previously unknown uranium enrichment program that provided a second path to a bomb in addition to the already known plutonium program.
    CNN's Tom Cohen and Elise Labott contributed to this report.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

With a new leader this is a good way to start a new relationship with north korea to stop all the nuclear bs. The previous leader of north korea always bs'd his way to getting food and then lieing.. It's a good test to see how the new leader of north korea will be like moving forward... As much as most people think we shouldn't care about north korea.. They are the one country that can make nuke and sell it to terrorists.. So the threat is very much real.

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by Monitor-Tan View Post
    With a new leader this is a good way to start a new relationship with north korea to stop all the nuclear bs. The previous leader of north korea always bs'd his way to getting food and then lieing.. It's a good test to see how the new leader of north korea will be like moving forward... As much as most people think we shouldn't care about north korea.. They are the one country that can make nuke and sell it to terrorists.. So the threat is very much real.
    I can't see a difference between this leader and the last. I understand that we HAVE to hold out hope...but mine is spent I guess.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Our foreign policy is out of control..

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    It's scary Kinger. I don't care how hated we are....we do WAAAAYYYYY more than our share. It's time to worry about us. Let someone else deal with the frail creep that is N.K.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    I can't see a difference between this leader and the last. I understand that we HAVE to hold out hope...but mine is spent I guess.
    It's a small price to pay to see where it goes, we can't possibly just let korea build nukes while some 27 year old kid has control of it..

this looks all too familiar but we are a giving country and as much as countries around the world frown on us, we do give countries their chance to do the right.. This is North korea's chance to do what's right...

I know I know, we can give all that too our own people, giving it to north korea seems wasteful when there's plenty here in our own home that are starving..

As they say boys.. With great power comes great responsibility.. Like it or not, it is ours..

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    It's scary Kinger. I don't care how hated we are....we do WAAAAYYYYY more than our share. It's time to worry about us. Let someone else deal with the frail creep that is N.K.
    U dont understand WV that the dislike is so deep and widespread throughout alot of the world that if US were to relax their foreign policies another 9/11 would occur within months and then some...

Plus573
    It's Miller Time
    Plus573's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Pretty sure both Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung did this very same thing. Won't be long before they start testing again or we find out they are secretly enriching uranium in an undisclosed location. North Korea won't stop until they are forced to stop. Hopefully I'm wrong but it is inevitable that history will repeat itself.

WvGambler

It's a small price to pay to see where it goes, we can't possibly just let korea build nukes while some 27 year old kid has control of it..

this looks all too familiar but we are a giving country and as much as countries around the world frown on us, we do give countries their chance to do the right.. This is North korea's chance to do what's right...

I know I know, we can give all that too our own people, giving it to north korea seems wasteful when there's plenty here in our own home that are starving..

As they say boys.. With great power comes great responsibility.. Like it or not, it is ours..
    Youre unfortunately correct sir.

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    U dont understand WV that the dislike is so deep and widespread throughout alot of the world that if US were to relax their foreign policies another 9/11 would occur within months and then some...
    I guess I don't understand it. It's mind blowing. As the father of two very young sons, I am starting to worry. It takes on a different feeling when you have kids I guess. Gets scarier.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

id rather give them food than give equipment/teach them how to do it themselves.