stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

How this band is not in the Hall of Fame is downright criminal

According to Billboard chart statistics, Chicago is second only to the Beach Boys as the most successful American rock band of all time, in terms of both albums and singles. Judged by album sales, as certified by the R.I.A.A., the band does not rank quite so high, but it is still among the Top Ten best-selling U.S. groups ever.

If such statements of fact surprise, that's because Chicago has been singularly underrated since the beginning of its long career, both because of its musical ambitions (to the musicians, rock is only one of several styles of music to be used and blended, along with classical, jazz, R&B, and pop) and because of its refusal to emphasize celebrity over the music. The result has been that fundamentalist rock critics have consistently failed to appreciate its music and that its media profile has always been low.

At the same time, however, Chicago has succeeded in the ways it intended to. From the beginning of its emergence as a national act, it has been able to fill arenas with satisfied fans. And beyond the impressive sales and chart statistics, its music has endured, played constantly on the radio and instantly familiar to tens of millions. When, in 2002, Chicago's biggest hits were assembled together on the two-disc set The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning and the album debuted in the Top 50, giving the band the distinction of having had chart albums in five consecutive decades, the music industry and some music journalists may have been startled. But the fans who had been supporting Chicago for over 30 years were not.

stevenash

Humor me, just listen to this brass arrangement and tell me it's not like an all time great.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Not a bad band, underrated
    Lower key which probably hurt them

stevenash

The song I posted, if you appreciate brass, as I do, some don't, but that brass arrangement is as good as it gets.
    Serious.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14852

Pretty surprising they wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Hits over long spans of time - they are way up there.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

that's some good stuff nash

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Chicago...not in the HOF?? what?? I assumed they would be but don't follow music "awards" stuff to care. Makes Sports one look half legit.

I don't think I was even alive when they were popular but I can still appreciate the talent/songs when it's not my type.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

yeah, I guess they are under-rated. I don't know a ton of stuff by them. impressive billboard numbers

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16221

deserve to be in..hope it aint no politics keeping them out

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

KISS not in there either. Very political.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

When my dad was alive this was his favorite band. Now, I'm hooked on them. It is criminal. I'm a big Peter Cetera fan

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    KISS has to be there also but Chicago has a more wide range of good tunes

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Very True

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    When my dad was alive this was his favorite band. Now, I'm hooked on them. It is criminal. I'm a big Peter Cetera fan
    Terry Kath's 'accidental' shooting really devastated Peter Cetera.
    Terry Kath was as good as it got on lead vocals and was a top 100 all time great guitarist.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Quote Originally Posted by 3PtShooter View Post
    deserve to be in..hope it aint no politics keeping them out
    Politics I'm sure and I can take a good guess at it.

ezmoney
    ezmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2593

Steely Dan, one of the other top American 70's groups like Chicago, not in either.
    Walter Becker and Donald Fagan, great tunes, unique sound.

EZ

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cetera did it for the glory of love, not the hall of fame.

Cetera is God

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

My parents loved Chicago. I do too.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Pass

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

in my early teens id always go on long rides with my father to cooperstown or springfield...to a sox or a pats game...or to rockingham park ....hed always pop in a chicago cd...or a phil collins...or a hall and oates...lol...i love them all now and they are all in my ipod.....and if they ever come up when im around to this day or he mentions them hell say "i know you dont care for that music but..."....and i havent told him that shit is on my ipod...and that i went to a hall and oates show a few years ago at mohegan...lol

stevenash

Smoke:
    I can respect that, that sound isn't for everybody

stevenash

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    in my early teens id always go on long rides with my father to cooperstown or springfield...to a sox or a pats game...or to rockingham park ....hed always pop in a chicago cd...or a phil collins...or a hall and oates...lol...i love them all now and they are all in my ipod.....and if they ever come up when im around to this day or he mentions them hell say "i know you dont care for that music but..."....and i havent told him that shit is on my ipod...and that i went to a hall and oates show a few years ago at mohegan...lol
    hall and oates are the best

saw them front and center last year at summerfest, i had to wait through a rush cover band twice, the army band with a hot chick lead singer, and streetlife (who i see all the time at the bucks game).

it was free bench seating, first come first served at that stage and i was literally the third one to get there right after the gates opened.

so to get an hour and a half of pure bliss is was worth sitting through 10 hours of all the other stuff

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Too many guys in the band, it would be like inducting an orchestra. Also, only a few original members left.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Too many guys in the band, it would be like inducting an orchestra. Also, only a few original members left.
    still 4 guys of the original 6 from what i know

that's way better than any other band from over 30 years ago

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post

oh ok I was thinking it was 2

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    This is always going to be an issue as long as Jann Wenner has his hooks in it.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I nailed many a' chicks in high school with a Chicago cd serving as the soundtrack.

This was in the mid to late 80's....so it was both with Cetera and right after he left.

I remember when me & my longtime girlfriend broke up summer after my senior year, I would sit in my room and listen to "Look Away".
    (seems relatively gay now, although in my defense that chic was smokin' ass hot!)

Good times!
    Last edited by opie1988; 02-23-12 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post

30 years? They were formed in 1967 and still touring, OK, they ain't selling out the Garden anymore, (I saw them with the Eagles in the 70's at the Garden) and the Eagles were the WARM UP BAND, but they put 3600 in the seats at the MGM Grand, they come up to Foxwoods and sell 3000 more seats still.

22,000 filled to capacity

milwaukee mike

oh ok I was thinking it was 2
    hey no problem

i still think hall and oates is a MUCH bigger snub than chicago

on a side note, in front of the rock n roll hall of fame in cleveland 2 years ago, i squeezed into a parking spot on the street (yes i'm usually too cheap to pay $20 lol) and my back license plate was wedged into the guy behind me's front license plate.

the cars were literally stuck together and i couldn't get them unstuck, so i said "ok kids we're parked let's go"

still have no idea how the guy behind me ever got out (he was gone when we came back) but he was probably cussing me out the whole time

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    30 years? They were formed in 1967 and still touring, OK, they ain't selling out the Garden anymore, (I saw them with the Eagles in the 70's at the Garden) and the Eagles were the WARM UP BAND, but they put 3600 in the seats at the MGM Grand, they come up to Foxwoods and sell 3000 more seats still.

Saw Chicago a few years ago in Vegas at Hollywood Theater in MGM. Less than a thousand seat theater and I don't think it was even filled. They put on a GREAT show though. Never thought of myself as a huge Chicago fan, but found that I knew 80% of the songs anyway. So many hits.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post

my point was that think of any band that has ever been around for more than 30 years (short list). then think of how many on that list still have 4 original members.

if you expand the list to 45 years they might be the only one?

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

i thought it was because they don't want in

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post

I remember when me & my longtime girlfriend broke up summer after my senior year, I would sit in my room and listen to "Walk Away".

DO you mean "Look Away" Opie?

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

DO you mean "Look Away" Opie?
    Yes.....my bad.

"Look Away" and "I don't wanna live without your love" always make me think of those days. Funny how some bands just seem to stick with your memories of when you were young.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

12 Last