TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

If you are a +ev gambler is it possible to have a gambling problem?

How is it different than being dedicated to a full time job?

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

you fukkin idiot centaur go snort some bath salts you prikk

TheCentaur

Holy fuk my badges are disappearing

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

I bet you're glad that's not a problem you'll ever have to deal with.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Depends. If u feel a need to have to gamble everyday and couldnt imagine a day without putting a wager on then chances are you have a problem, irregardless if ur +EV or not...

probettor1
    probettor1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Centaur you will never have to deal with this option of chosing work or gambling, you will work to be able to gamble for life, and you will probably lose most of your jobs for being a degenerative gambler. And even if you have a good month you will lose all the money in the following week after winning that month. I told you so today, this is not for everybody. You cant even pass a college test where 99% pass, here 99% cant pass. Bet 2 dollars per bet, not more than 1 bet per week and you will be fine.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

In his book Barry Greenstein described something close to this concept.... Basically his idea was that being successful in gambling almost requires a degenerate nature (I think the term he used was "compulsive winner")...

TheCentaur

Wow quite a collection of poker badges LVHerbie! You must have been drunk on 2/16

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33438

TheCentaur, I give you Tony Bigcharles. In other words, the answer to your question is "yes."

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Its not a problem if you're winning.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Wow quite a collection of poker badges LVHerbie! You must have been drunk on 2/16
    yeah really, how does someone get 1st place 4 times in a 8 day stretch?

no matter how good you are that is almost impossible, like today i lost 3500 with kk when the flop was k94 to running 66 for quads.

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    Depends. If u feel a need to have to gamble everyday and couldnt imagine a day without putting a wager on then chances are you have a problem, irregardless if ur +EV or not...
    But what's the difference between what you are saying and someone who loves his job and can't imagine ever not doing it?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Quote Originally Posted by Living The Dream View Post
    But what's the difference between what you are saying and someone who loves his job and can't imagine ever not doing it?
    No difference. Same thing, you shouldn't work your job 365 days a year. Everyone needs vacations.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

absolutely not

being a compulsive gambler means 100% that you are not +EV, its plain common sense ffs, if you are a compulsive gambler you will bet when you shouldnt, and for a greater amount than proper money management dictates

thus, even if you have the ability to make +EV bets, your edge over the book will dissipate with all the -ev bets you will be making

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

I am pretty sure some advantage gamblers are degenerate gamblers just like their loser counterparts.I actually think they are worse because they are often watching a game to middle a 3 in NFL or a 2 point total in the NBA which is often a let down and a huge rush when it hits. Most of the big time poker players have huge sportsbetting leaks. Doyle Brunson is a big square apparently, and Phil Ivey will chuck dice for sick money. I think to be at the elite level of poker you have to basically be a degenerate gambler. You have to be able to handle losing. I remember an Ivey interview where he said he got into poker merely because it was gambling where you could actually win. The guy was an atlantic city degen for years sleeping under the boardwalk etc broke from the table games.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post

yeah really, how does someone get 1st place 4 times in a 8 day stretch?

no matter how good you are that is almost impossible, like today i lost 3500 with kk when the flop was k94 to running 66 for quads.
    Don't forget there was a weekend in there as well...

See my post above... Some us are addicted to gamble, while for others our drug of choice is winning...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

noo

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

yes for me I win but do not win as much as I could because of compulsive betting

probettor1
    probettor1's Avatar Become A Pro!

The "good streak syndrome". This is common to many bettors, you have a good streak and suddenly you start to dream big, the word "work" becomes an enemy as you think that work is holding you back. You feel like a billion dollar man. And believe or not as happy as you are, your bookie is even happier. Why? because they know that out of your confidence come the willingness to bet higher amounts of money and even worse, you are being hooked in the gambler fallacy.
    I myself had a streak of 27 wins and 4 loses in my very beginning as a bettor. I was very happy but not too crazy as I used to play dice and I got 15 aces in a row once. You know what are the chances of 15 aces in a row? If not mistaken it is 1 in 470184984576. I probably played under 10 000 games throughout my life. So don't feel to cocky for winning a few bets. Yes, you are still a loser in the long run, and I'm 99% sure about it.
    Last edited by probettor1; 03-02-12 at 05:29 PM.