Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

What's the biggest NCCA Hoops upset ever?

Anything come to light?

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!

ESPN says Duke over UNLV in the national championship 1991

Anybody got a line on the game?

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!

Arizona had been ousted in the first round in a huge upset. In 1992, the victors had been 14th seed East Tennessee State. The spread of this game had Arizona a 30 point favorite.

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!

30 point fav lost straight up.....that sounds pretty huge

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Houston's loss to NC State is well up there.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Brock Landers winning streak

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

First off, Duke was only +7 or so vs UNLV.

I can't imagine that Ariz was -30 in that game.

Santa Clara, w/ Nash, beat 2-seed Arizona as a dog of +21 (roughly).

Chaminade over UVa (w/ Sampson) is normally considered the biggest NCAAB upset ever. Not sure of line, if there was one.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

1 seed depaul in 1st round in 1980

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

1996 - Princeton Tigers shock the UCLA Bruins

1994 - Boston College over No. 1 UNC in round two
    Boston College ended the North Carolina Tar Heels' golden era of 13 straight Sweet 16 appearances, winning 75-72 despite facing a loaded, stacked and experienced team, with future NBA players Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed Wallace, that had won the 1993 title just a year earlier.

993 - Santa Clara beats Arizona
    This marked a second straight year that Arizona had been ousted in the first round in a huge upset. In 1992, the victors had been 14th seed East Tennessee State. The spread of this game had Arizona a 30 point favorite.
    This was the emergence of a future NBA MVP. This was a coming out party not only for the Santa Clara basketball program but also an awkward looking player who would someday would become MVP.
    The Santa Clara Broncos were a twenty point underdogs against Arizona, who they faced in the first round of the West Regional in Salt Lake City. The Broncos were as "a motley jumble of eggheads, surfers and imports," survived a late run of 25 straight points by the Number 2 seeded and fifth-ranked overall, Arizona Wildcats to win, 64-61.
    One of those motley jumble egghead imports was Steve Nash 2005 NBA MVP.
    I guess the saying is true: You can't judge a book by its cover.

My vote

1986 - LSU beats Kentucky to advance to the Final Four
    It seemed destined to be a doomed year for the Bayou Bengals after already losing three times to No. 1 Kentucky during the season.
    But in the tournament, they scored three straight upsets -- over Purdue, Memphis State, and Georgia Tech. Then they beat Kentucky 59-57 at the Omni in Atlanta, effectively using "The Freak," a deceptive defense devised by Dale Brown -- and became the lowest seed ever to make it to the Final Four.
    Billy Packer wrote that Brown did one of the "greatest coaching jobs in history," in getting his decimated team to the semis.

1985 - Villanova beats Georgetown for the championship
    The Georgetown Hoyas, the 1984 champions led by future NBA all time 50 best players ever Patrick Ewing, looked like an instant lock in 1985. The Villanova Wildcats, the 8th seed in the Southeast Regional, never cracked the Top 20 all year and lost twice during the season to the Hoyas. This was a total mismatch, however, would not be more further from the truth.
    Surprisingly, the Wildcats led 29-28 at the half. Missing only one shot from the field the Wildcats played a nearly flawless second half. Villanova won, 66-64, by shooting 78 percent against the best defensive team in the nation.
    How great was the Villanova performance? Well after the game, they were applauded by none other than Georgetown Hoyas themselves. "Any time you shoot that percentage you deserve the praise," said Georgetown coach John Thompson. "You couldn't get much better."
    1983 - NC State shocks Houston
    This is one of the most surprising and shocking result EVER in all of sports history. NC State had lost 10 regular season games, and nobody and I mean nobody expected them to get to the Elite Eight, much less the title game. The NC State Wolfpack were on a postseason roll, having won the ACC tournament and then advancing past Pepperdine, Virginia, and Georgia in tight games.
    Now they had the opportunity to face the Phi Slamma Jamma gang and Akeem Olajuwon.
    NC State led at the half, and overcame a 17-2 run by Houston at the start of the second half to tie the game at 52 with two minutes left. The Wolfpack then fouled freshman guard Alvin Franklin, who missed the front end of a one-and-one. State rebounded and held the ball for the last shot, but the final play went awry, and Dereck Whittenburg -- who'd sunk two straight to tie the game -- missed a desperation 30-footer. As it fell far short of the rim, Lorenzo Charles went up, grabbed it, and slammed it in with one second left for an amazing Wolfpack win.

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!

Ya I read all that when I googled.

I'm looking for lines though, like Arizona being -30

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

i dunno, dacvietbet uh err, i meant, iwin.... but could you please text me your plays this week? thanks pal.

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
    i dunno, dacvietbet uh err, i meant, iwin.... but could you please text me your plays this week? thanks pal.
    You fuk. Just cause I swindled you out of 30k on that trailor investment now you won't stop e-stalking me.

Don't you have a Chinese buffet to go stalk and pick up your next victim....errr I mean girlfriend

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

the four #15 seeds that upset #2 seeds would be a good place to start

#15 Richmond beat #2 Syracuse 73-69 in 1991
    #15 Santa Clara beat #2 Arizona 64-61 in 1993
    #15 Coppin State beat #2 USC 78-65 in 1997
    #15 Hampton beat #2 Iowa State 58-57 in 2001

also, Rick Barnes and Scott Drew having long-term job security both represent pretty big upsets too.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

You didn't say these were confined to the NCAA Tournament. I remember Florida State was a 22-point favorite five or six years ago . . . Charleston Southern, maybe it was, beat 'em.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

I remember when I was young, like grade school... when Xavier played Georgetown in NCAA not sure what round whether in 16 to get to 8 or what... X had Tyrone Hill and Derek Strong but G had Dikembe Motumbo and Alonzo Mourning... everyone said it was Georgetown's year to win it. I believe they played in Indy and X beat em. Have no idea what the spread was or anything but has to rank up there.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The answer is Chaminade over Virginia. We are talking about the Division II school beating the number one team in the country. There was no line on the game, but it easily would have been in the 40s.
    Points Awarded:

BiffTFinancial gave LT Profits 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

per usual, we should save time and just take questions like these straight to LT. good call.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Nc state over Houston, nova over gtown, uconn over duke, and duke over unlv in championship games are true upsets in perception and Vegas lines.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Nc state over Houston, nova over gtown, uconn over duke, and duke over unlv in championship games are true upsets in perception and Vegas lines.
    But line of Chaminade would have been 4x higher. Reason there was no line was because it was a Division II school. that was a bigger upset than any college football upset and quite possibly the biggest upset in the history of sports. It may have only been topped by USA beating USSR in Olympic Hockey.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

has to be chaminade over virginia, nothing else even close.

chisox35
    chisox35's Avatar Become A Pro!

UAA over Tim Duncan and Wake Forest in the Great Alaska Shootout,I wa actually there to see it.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    also, Rick Barnes and Scott Drew having long-term job security both represent pretty big upsets too.
    I don't know about that. Baylor was in absolute shambles before Scott Drew took over and *somehow* convinced a non-stop stream of NBA bigs to come to a school that has no business being in a major conference like Baylor. They might be underachieving now but they're getting an even better NBA talent in Isiah Austin next year.

As for Barnes, he's made the tournament every year he's been there, including winning a Big 12 title his first year as coach, and that was after a 3-8 start. With the bubble as soft as it is now there's a legit chance they'll make it again this year too. No other team since Bill Self took over Kansas in '03 has won a share of the Big 12 title than Texas.

And LT Profits is right. Its Chaminade over Virginia. That could possibly qualify as the biggest upset in the history of *sports* much less college basketball. Especially because while Chaminade might be D2 now, back then they were still an NAIA school.