EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of the great power hitting and solid fielding catchers of all-time.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

My passion is baseball, love the game since I was seven years
    Sad news, the man played the game right, did not cut corners like many so called stars.
    I have nothing but the utmost respect for players that play and teach the game correctly.
    Not to mention the man was the consummate family man, family first.

The negative thing I can say,and it's not personal, is he played on that Mets team I despised, I don't like the Mets, and I hated that '86 team.

I didn't like Keith (hell of a player though) Keith rubbed me the wrong way.
    I didn't like fat Sid.
    Hate is a strong word, let's say I couldn't stand 'Nails' Dykstra
    Don't even get me started on Doc and Straw.

But know this, you'll be hard pressed to find a better all around catcher that the Kid was in your lifetime.
    Heck, you'd be hard pressed to find a better all around person than The Kid Gary Carter.

RIP sir, thanks for all the baseball memories.
    You did your job, and you did it better than just about everybody else.
    Well done !

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Steve, you sound like a Yankee fan. As a Giant fan from the Polo Grounds days, stayed with the NL when the Mets came along. Gary Carter played the game like it is supposed to be played, a pro's pro. RIP.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by gafl View Post
    Steve, you sound like a Yankee fan. As a Giant fan from the Polo Grounds days, stayed with the NL when the Mets came along. Gary Carter played the game like it is supposed to be played, a pro's pro. RIP.
    This Yankee fan actually rooted for the Red Sox in 1986.
    I was a scholastic catcher myself, the best catcher I ever saw was Bench when I was a kid growing up, Carter was the Johnny Bench of the '80's

I like the way Fisk played behind the plate too.
    Today's catchers are hybrids DH type first (like Vic Martinez and others) defense second, not like the old days like Scioscia blocking the plate, or Jim Sundberg..............

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Teams used be willing to carry a poor hitting catcher just for his defense. Not any more.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Clean living and treating people with respect while his 86 teammates wreaked havoc. Not fair. Gary Carter is and was the definition of role model. Life's not fair....that's just reality and it bothers me. It should've been Dykstra

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

Decided to sell my Gary Carter ball. Lotta people would appreciate it/like to have it more than me right now. I haven't even followed baseball for the past decade. If anyones interested.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180825448338...84.m1558.l2649

stevenash

^
    You know would be major karma?
    If you donated the proceeds from the ball to brain cancer charity or one of Carter's causes.

I guarantee you, if you did that, you'd go on a heater.... whole bunch of good stuff would probably happen.

spanky1
    spanky1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 216

sad R I P

Blackroc78
    Blackroc78's Avatar Become A Pro!

Greatest Expos of All-Time! Great player, Great guy, R.I.P. Kid

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

class act.. got to meet him as a kid with my dad.. my pops was playing in a celeb golf tourney in Miami.. I was in little league at the time and was also a catcher... I remember shaking gary's hand and thinking to myself.. this dude has arms like popeye..

First 12