keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

You know what's kind of hilarious and lost in all this:

Jeremy Lin isn't Chinese.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post

i didn't say they were. everyone knows real chinese cuisine is not topped off with a goddamn fortune cookie. my point is that if they hand you a fortune cookie at every single chinese restaurant in america, then you're not playing off of a negative stereotype by creating some kind of fortune cookie/jeremy lin connection. in other words, this is not like having a black guy's head on a chicken or whatever people were saying earlier.

jesus christ.
    Why is it not the same? The black people I know down here and have met when I lived all throughout Europe would puke at a piece of fried chicken. I don't even think most would know what a piece of that looked like since they have better palates than that. So how is it different?

I'll answer it for you, with what most of us think if we're not Asian North American: It's not different. But because there haven't been many Asian athletes and movie stars to cheer for, or ones who don't have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton crying when negative comments are thrown their way, people think it's ok to try to say the crappy things they do. Just keep it straight: The REAL blacks... the ones living in Africa... have no bloody clue what a fried chicken wing is. Nor would they be offended by it. That's America for y'all

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Oh - and before anyone starts to harp at me about what makes someone "really" a member of their race based on my "real" black comment, just see keyboarding's above about how Lin isn't Chinese. If he isn't Chinese, than I'm not Ukrainian, you're not black and frizzy's not Italian. None of us were born there, right, so even though we grow up with those cultures, according to keyboarding, it's simply incorrect. Good to know

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Ah, I'm not sure what you're referring to but it's all good. The forums get the best of us at times. I just don't have the chance to keep up with it all any more but apology ACCEPTED YOU PRICK xo

This stuff though has really upset me. I knew it but not as a proper adult. Man, we were pricks. This is really bad.
    Prolly best you don't know, stay away from the infraction board. I was chastised by Lou in private, pretty much told I'm gone if it continues down that path. After second thought, it was nasty, looked nastier than intended. Looks can be deceiving? Lou was partially deceived.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    Oh, give me a fukking break. This is a fukking ridiculous comparison, the plight of the Asian man vs. the black man in America.

You guys are trying to come off looking morally and intellectually superior when you're just being ridiculous. I hope there is never a Native American NFL player on the Redskins or an NHL player on the Blackhawks or your panties are going to get in a real bunch, eh?

This isn't some great struggle of an Asian player breaking barriers, he's being praised, not insulted. What a fukking disaster society has become when everyone has to apologize to everyone else for things done in the past that none of us had any control over. If you're going to feel bad about everything ever done I don't know how you don't just kill yourself because the world is an ugly place full of depraved exploitation, so the next time you want to use a holier than thou attitude I hope you don't own, purchase, or support any of the horrible corporations who to this day carry out the same horrors you are condemning.
    I'm not an intellectual, nor a defender of political correctness. Knowing a bit about the history of race relations helps to make a decision such as this one. I'd be willing to bet that whoever at MSG gave the green light for this to be published had no knowledge of the Chinese plight in the US.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 04-15-16 at 02:46 PM. Reason: image does not exist

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Why is it not the same? The black people I know down here and have met when I lived all throughout Europe would puke at a piece of fried chicken. I don't even think most would know what a piece of that looked like since they have better palates than that.

Totally off topic, but blacks in Europe have better palates because fried chicken isn't thought of as a part of their culture? What-the fuk-ever.

The blacks I saw in Amsterdam eating that nasty ass herring, or the blacks in England with their kidney pies, would puke at a piece of fried chicken?

They wouldn't know what a piece looked like, when KFC is every where I went in Europe?

It's funny to me when people talk about Europe like it's so much more cultured or civilized than the U.S.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

yea let's not denegrate fried chicken, this thread is about fortune cookies.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7846

Why is it not the same? The black people I know down here and have met when I lived all throughout Europe would puke at a piece of fried chicken. I don't even think most would know what a piece of that looked like since they have better palates than that. So how is it different?

I'll answer it for you, with what most of us think if we're not Asian North American: It's not different. But because there haven't been many Asian athletes and movie stars to cheer for, or ones who don't have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton crying when negative comments are thrown their way, people think it's ok to try to say the crappy things they do. Just keep it straight: The REAL blacks... the ones living in Africa... have no bloody clue what a fried chicken wing is. Nor would they be offended by it. That's America for y'all
    your hate speech against fried chicken saddens me.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    we live in such a pussy world wtf is wrong with this
    Exactly

Common the fuk one time

What a wuss PC nanny state this is

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Shari, call me on the 754 line, baby

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Quote Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
    Excuse me, asshole -- Chinese-AMERICAN culture. Chinese-Americans present the fortune cookie as part of their culture. We have every right to believe them. If you don't think so, there is something seriously wrong with you.
    Exactly, I ordered "chinese" food for lunch today and they gave me a furtune cookie, with a little fortune on it.

Obviously there is more attention paid to his asian heritage because there arnt many asians in the NBA. There are much better things to worry about.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

asians dont really eat fortune cookies
    its given at chinese restaurants and takeouts as gimmick

seeing that as a promotion for Lin was ridiculous
    its like they used the first thing that popped in their heads, haha

the only ones who shud decide whether its offensive or not are ........... the asians

sickler
    Facade 101

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    asians dont really eat fortune cookies
    its given at chinese restaurants and takeouts as gimmick

seeing that as a promotion for Lin was ridiculous
    its like they used the first thing that popped in their heads, haha

the only ones who shud decide whether its offensive or not are ........... the asians
    From what I've heard the Chinese don't eat much Chinese food takeout either.

Come to think of it, of all the times I've waited for takeout I don't remember seeing Asians waiting with me. Mostly fat white people.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I think your post was well intentioned Shari but it comes off wrong. Your friends in Australia or Europe who look down on chicken wings or fried chicken should go to all those great restaurants in Asia and Paris that serve various forms of this, look at France ,they love jazz and southern/black american culture, there are tons of great restaurants that serve excellent food there and alot of great music. I love cooking and I love good food and anybody who has a decent palate would try out all these cuisines. If they are vegetarians I kind of understand it, but fried chicken was big part of west african culture, in Asia it is all over the place in various guises.

That culture from New Orleans with all the great food and music is one of the most vibrant cultures the New World ever produced, so much food around the world is boiled blandness. France has some great restaurants they should try, New Orleans and Asian cuisines are some of my favorite foods and those Deep South and Asian fried foods are incredible with some of the ingredients. New Orleans has po boys, bananas foster, Muffulettas, and tons of great food and culture that is served around the world, alot of chicken is just boiled around the world, even the Colonels spices would probably be high cuisine if it was prepared in top restaurants and not served as "fast food". I know what you are saying about alot of sports bar food with some of their wings and alot of stuff you eat at the track is pure grub, but good good wings, buffalo wings,etc. and blue cheese or a good dip at a nice sports bar is heaven if you have a really nice environment and a good game on.

Ok, some Sports bars appetizer lists with stuff like like jalapeno poppers may not make the food snob list, LOL, but I still love it and alot of sports bars are becoming alot more upscale. Is this comment just a shot at heterosexual males and the supposed lack of taste at most sports bars, LOL. We are evolving Shari, sports bars are not as bad as they once were in cuisine.
    Last edited by gregm; 02-17-12 at 01:38 AM.

sickler
    Facade 101

Greg, some of the sport's bars over here have amazing food. Local Heroes, Rockwell's, best nachos and wings in town. It's not only sports fans chowing down in these places.

Shari, I've been on your back lately. I know curiosity got the best of you (infraction thataway ----->). Up my butt was your comment which was later edited out of your post a week or two ago. It's now out of my system.

Appears you will soon be taking a long flight out of the penal colony. Best wishes for you and the little one.

First 123