deadphish
    deadphish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25687

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    Does everyone honestly think there would be the exact same level of excitement if Lin was black? Asians have not dominated the NBA as African Americans have, so it of course adds to the excitement.

Fun fact (credit ThePostgame):
    agreed

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by deadphish View Post

agreed
    And I agree that's part of it as well. Just like blacks were excited when Tiger and the Williams sisters started to do well in predominantly white sports. But so were/are whites, Asians, whomever unless you're a racist hick or just think he's a flash in the pan. There's much more to the story than just an Asian guy doing well in a sport where Asians have traditionally not. As for Floyd, I really hope he comes out and says that he was severely misquoted in that article jsmith quoted above. Or that he was drunk or stoned or something. Not only was he completely wrong about Kobe but again a white guy couldn't get away with saying the racist comments he did about a black athlete. I really can't believe the hypocrisy that still exists in 2012.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

if lin was the #1 overall pick in the draft would he be getting the same press coverage? probably not since it would be expected as the top pick. but hes an undraftee cut by several teams and crashed on his brothers couch cause his $800k contract was not guaranteed. they were even planning to cut him a day prior to his breakout game!

if it were just about race, why didnt he get the same type of press while with the warriors last season when he had couple of good games? he was asian last season too wasnt he?

hes getting press coverage cause hes got an interesting, unique underdog story while leading a high profile injury riddled team to 5 consecutive improbable wins. nothing more, nothing less.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    if lin was the #1 overall pick in the draft would he be getting the same press coverage? probably not since it would be expected as the top pick. but hes an undraftee cut by several teams and crashed on his brothers couch cause his $800k contract was not guaranteed. they were even planning to cut him a day prior to his breakout game!

if it were just about race, why didnt he get the same type of press while with the warriors last season when he had couple of good games? he was asian last season too wasnt he?

hes getting press coverage cause hes got an interesting, unique underdog story while leading a high profile injury riddled team to 5 consecutive improbable wins. nothing more, nothing less.
    I 100% agree with your posts in here. I didn't even know this until earlier tonight but my 78yo Italian neighbour - full on Italian moved to Australia 60yrs ago but still hardly speaks English - taped that Knicks/Lakers game on his VCR so he could watch it with his wife. I promise you that other than knowing they have to get the ball into the basket, he has no bloody clue the rules of the game. I'm not even sure how he knows about Lin because I forgot to ask. When I asked him why he'd dust off the VCR for that particular NBA game, he gave me the first dirty look he ever has.

Lin is really touching people, regardless of their ethnicity. Even if he burns out tomorrow he managed to do something that not many can do any more in such a cynical industry normally dominated by money, suits and sheer diva douchebaggery. This is every kid's/washed up high school athlete's/78yo Italian man's dream come true. This is movie material but it's real life and we're watching it happen and getting the chance to talk about it with each other even if we're living on the other side of the world. I think it's pretty f'n spectacular.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Mayweather getting slammed
    His comments are snowblowing and now might have to do something

That fox reporter on verge of being fired if Asian community pushed fox

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Mayweather getting slammed
    His comments are snowblowing and now might have to do something

That fox reporter on verge of being fired if Asian community pushed fox
    He should be getting slammed. He's a minority himself - that's what I don't friggin get with his comments in that interview. I understand what Patty said about how he does this to create controversy before fights. Lou told me the same thing when we were discussing it earlier. However if he was smart, he would've catered to a gigantic Asian potential fanbase worldwide. Instead, he's alienated a lot of people, Asian and not. I also understand that he might think Lin is taking away publicity from his Cinco de Mayo fight but no one other than hardcore boxing fans even give an f about it, Lin or no Lin. As soon as Pac was out, so was the interest.

For those who didn't see the article before the link went dead, here's Floyd in all of his glory:

In the recent trip to Las Vegas, I caught up with pound for pound Floyd Mayweather to talk about his favorite sports besides boxing, basketball! What transpired is racist tirade and ped accusation of Asian Sensation Jeremy Lin.

Ben Tompkin- What do you think of Jeremy Lin?

Floyd Maweather- Who?

Ben Tompkin- The New York Knicks Point guard who’s taken the world in storm the past week.

Floyd Mayweather- It’s just so crazy that a guy can pop up out of nowhere and become such an amazing basketball player. A guy like Lebron and Kobe has been doing it since the early 2000s, dominating the sport and beating the best out there. This guy just popped up out of nowhere and people are trying to say he’s on the level of a Kobe and Lebron, when they’ve been dominating and doing this for almost 10 years now. It’s just so crazy that a guy can just pop up out of nowhere and become such an amazing basketball player.

Ben Tomkins- Do you think Kobe or Lebron feel threatened?

Floyd Mayweather- As soon as they come off vacation, they’re going to cook that little yellow chump. They ain’t worried about that. So they ain’t gotta worry about playing against a midget. Once they kick the midget ass, I don’t want you all to jump on their dick. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. … Once they stomp the midget, They’ll make that mother f—– make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice.

Ben Tomkins- Is there a possibility Jeremy Lin in on steroids?

Floyd Mayweather- No no not at all. All I am saying is that before Jeremy Lin can play against Kobe or Lebron, he must take the test. It’s that simple. If you’re the best take the test

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Asian Race 1000000000000000000000000x stronger and powerful than the black race

Its not even a discussion

Pin Fish
    Pin Fish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13609

one flied lice prease..........

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

Tiger Woods is a good player but all the hype is because he's Black. White players do what he does every day and don't get the same praise.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: k13, and shari91

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Asian Race 1000000000000000000000000x stronger and powerful than the black race Its not even a discussion
    Never forget the show I saw on affirmative action. Asian business guy in the audience and black panel on the stage is going on and on... give me this and give me that. Asian guy steps up to the microphone and says succinctly, "We don't need affirmative action. In one generation we get here and we dominate. You give us affirmative action and we are getting free money to build stronger businesses."

The panel then didn't have shit to say... and they just kind of blew over his comment.

Pretty much sums up the United States, really.

baskets

Quote Originally Posted by Pabinator View Post
    Man I wish there was a good mexican player out there!
    Tony Romo ...

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    if lin was the #1 overall pick in the draft would he be getting the same press coverage?
    Yeah he would be and maybe even more....did you forget about Yao and how much coverage he received.

baskets

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Black people are good people.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.... ??????

Gamble32jn
    Keep Faith!!!!!!!!
    Gamble32jn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did someone say Lin?

mp5070
    The Michael Scott Company
    mp5070's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7789

RawBillyIce
    Big Bad Billy's, Sweet William Now!!
    RawBillyIce's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love to watch Floyd Mayweather fight. I saw him make The Goldenboy look dumb(granted he was much past his prime). I also bet on Gotti over Mayweather and felt stupid after cause Mayweather beat him like a bum.

I like everyone long for the day that Pac man and Mayweather fight. They both suck if they don't find a way to give it to the fans.

In the meantime, Floyd does not do so well with his actions or his mouth outside the ring. He hurts his black community worse then helps. I do agree with the fact that the Linsania is so strong because Jeremy is Asian(Chinese to be exact) but even so why hate on the boy. It makes Mayweather look bad and seems immature on his part.

Most of the African Americans who are commenting on his comments are saying that he has stuck his foot in his mouth again.

I will say this and shut up. Over the past 4 or 5 years or really since 9/11 I have seen much less Racism in the USA and much much more healing. I am a white boy. If I was black I'd be a mother rooster_eater to deal with no doubt. l learned so much from 3 semesters of US History going back to college, that if I was American Indian or African American I would be conflicted.

Yet and still and Obama becoming the first documented Black President(even though he is technically 1/2 white, 1/2 black), I have seen such growth on the Black Community's part. I used to think that black were coming out but not coming up. I cannot say that now. Also, during the National Anthem I see many many more black athletes acknowledging the song where as I used to not see very much.

Sure this is a little contraversial what I have said but not really. I am a real mother rooster_eater not some fake ass bitch and don't you ever forget it forum.

I am for World Peace 100% ...even though we will never see it. I love Obama and wish he had more support but Politics is always going to be just that.

Mayweather ... I hope Pac Man knocks u on your ass! But I won't be against you again my brother

RawBillyIce

Bet against you I meant to type

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Mayweather should stick to what he does best and that's fighting. This isn't about Asian or anything. Lin is a young phenom that's been overlooked

RawBillyIce

danm I just heard on SC that "The Glove" GP had taught Lin stuff when he was young and felt JL was very good then.

Payton was bad. I once took the ML 12-15yrs ago on Lakers like -1100 honestly I bet like $100 to win 9 and sure as phuck GP dominated the whole 2nd 1/2 and I lost. never forget that game.

theblueprint
    theblueprint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 507

Dont even know why i read this thread....im thoroughly disgusted..

I will say this though....Mayweather was wrong in bringing this up

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    Mayweather should stick to what he does best and that's fighting. This isn't about Asian or anything. Lin is a young phenom that's been overlooked
    r u kidding me? Mayweather although a great boxer is even a better handicapper. I haven't seen him post a losing ticket yet. i wonder how many times this Lin kid has beaten him as im sure he is betting against the Knicks

RawBillyIce

funny @ post 126

pacocn
    pacocn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by YouHave2outs View Post
    come back in a month joke. warriors fans were triumphantly singing the same song in unison about a year ago
    I think he fits into D'natoni system much better than Keith Smart's. Also, he was playing behind Curry and Ellis, he is in a good system and good spot now. He will continue to thrive.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

lin has now scored more pts in his first 5 starts (137) than even shaq (129).

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

What is the difference between this and what Rush Limbaugh said about Donavan Mcnabb ?

pacocn
    pacocn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPedagogy View Post
    What is the difference between this and what Rush Limbaugh said about Donavan Mcnabb ?
    One statement was said by a boxer and the other was stated by a conservative talk host with a narcotics problem.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is only racism when white people stereotype black people............................

RawBillyIce

Only thing is that after Rush said what he said... DM did nothing but flop

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm going to have to find a new avatar.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Lou