Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Floyd is speaking the truth here. There is no question about it. Part of the hype to this lin story we are in the middle of is his Asian ethnicity. It's the factor we all know is true but wont mention mainstream. No big deal. Just how our society categorizes things these days.

migz
    migz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 856

Quote Originally Posted by YorkHunt View Post
    If the story of what happened to Lin happened to a black guy and the team was a high market team like NY..Yes, no matter skin color or ethnicity they would still get the same headlines. The thing about Lin is he is smart, he would destroy Mayweather in anything having to do with intelligence!
    Harvard grad vs what grad?

ToPHeR
    ToPHeR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1917

@coachfitz51: There's finally a NBA player who plays hard and says the right things off the court

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

too many jealous in this world

2nd lins getting all this attention because hes in NY

lebroom should of gone to NY instead of Maimi

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

these boxers will do anything for attention.

hey flloyd why don't you fight pac man? because he's asian and may get more attention?

moshi
    moshi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3525

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    It doesn't matter at all. But folks were criticizing Floyd as if what he said wasn't mostly true. He obviously exaggerated, Lin has set a record and it would be hyped, but not to ROCK-STAR status after a week (especially among Asians).
    Well really, what did he expect? If ANYONE talks about race, there's ALWAYS an uproar regardless of how true it may be. Lin's the only Asian-American in the NBA and he's good. Of course Asians are going to come out and support the guy. Represent, right?

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    these boxers will do anything for attention.

hey flloyd why don't you fight pac man? because he's asian and may get more attention?

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

BS.

You're saying all Chinese and Asian Americans would be out buying the dude's jersey after a couple games, making it instantly one of the best sellers of the year? Him being an Asian American obviously adds to the excitement and headlines, both here and elsewhere.
    Lou is absolutely right here.
    Mayweather said what a lot of people were probably thinking.
    I made a joke yesterday that if Lin had went nuts a few weeks earlier, he would've been the #1 vote getter for the All-Star game. Look at how many votes Yao got.
    ESPN is smart to hype up Lin, because he's good for ratings.
    Same thing with Tebow (since I know a lot of people have compared Lin and Tebow because of their religious beliefs.)

But, Lin would still be getting a ton of hype if he was black, and probably a little bit more than that... because let's face it, we haven't had anyone Non-Black dominate the NBA in a while. Kevin Love is good, but who were the last two game changers? Stockton and Bird?

Race sells, especially when it's something out of the ordinary.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    I gotta side with Lou here, the fact that Lin is of Asian descent DOES add to the headlines. Right or wrong, if a black guy upped his numbers like Lin has done, while yes it would get noticed, I bet that player wouldn't grab CNN interviews like Lin has.
    Well, obviously.

The Lin story gets the amount of attention it does because of five reasons:

1)He was dumped by several teams and overlooked by everyone.

2)He's doing it on a team without stars.

3)He's of Asian descent, and guys of Asian descent typically have not done well in the NBA (or played much, even).

4)He went to Harvard.

5)It's New York, and especially the Knicks, with the attention that team gets (unlike the Nets, who are coming, but won't compare).

His heritage has to do with him getting overlooked (both by colleges and pro teams) and also with the amount of attention he's getting. If Lin were black, I'm pretty sure he would've been more heavily recruited.
    Last edited by yisman; 02-13-12 at 07:08 PM. Reason: adding

yisman

I forgot to mention the last part:

It's in New York and it's the Knicks.

tokio
    tokio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2886

It's not common sense to know how people think. Lets be real. People find it amazing when an Asian can do something other than solve a math problem.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by wikkidinsane View Post
    The african american player woulx still get the same media coverage here locally but because lin is asian and they suck generlly compared to someone of african decent in bssketball. I understand the hype. Yeh i agree eiyh that samuel jsckson quote if i was white and had to choose between a black or a whitey president, if i had no understanding of their policies, then my lean would be to pick the guy who look like me. Thats just how humans are,.

u knee grows are funny

if whitey said they you would call him a racist-you are the fukin racist, loser

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Where was he when Ichiro became famous for doing what white people do all the time ?
    Would Barack Obama be just another president that everyone hated if he was white ?
    Will lots of black people not react when Nascar gets a black guy ?

People are interested when people do something that their race is not normally associated with. It is not a bad thing

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Does everyone honestly think there would be the exact same level of excitement if Lin was black? Asians have not dominated the NBA as African Americans have, so it of course adds to the excitement.

Fun fact (credit ThePostgame):
    if a black kid from harvard was sleeping on his teammates and brother's couch before he became a star, he would get the same treatment. replace jeremy lin with any scrub that came out of harvard or any ivey league school and he'll get the same hype. c'mon now, obviously you love mayweather but don't get beer-goggled over your bromance...

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Floyd would lose in a fight against Lin

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    if a black kid from harvard was sleeping on his teammates and brother's couch before he became a star, he would get the same treatment. replace jeremy lin with any scrub that came out of harvard or any ivey league school and he'll get the same hype. c'mon now, obviously you love mayweather but don't get beer-goggled over your bromance...
    It would be an equally great story, but there wouldn't be equal interest, there wouldn't be equal jersey sales, and he wouldn't reach the same level of stardom after a week of games. A lot of things play a factor in the Linsanity... the market he's in, his descent, the couch, his scoring after four games... I'm just saying that one of those things wouldn't be as noteworthy. You figure out which.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

Floyd is nothing but a racist.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Knicks have no stars

alling
    alling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

he right. media gives praise when a black does well in hockey, golf, nascar, polo, qb, coach...

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bcatswin View Post
    Knicks have no stars
    No likeable stars. The last may very well have been Patrick Ewing.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Lou may have a point!

Imagine the hype if it was the other way around -- Mayweather earned an Harvard degree

yisman

Knicks have no stars.

Lin has been playing with Chandler, Fields, Jeffries, etc.

The two "stars" (not necessarily winners, but stars) have not been playing recently during Linsanity.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

I no that yisman, was just saying. They are coming back though. Amare tomorrow.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

super unique situation with Lin. Not too many ivy league guys that didn't get scholarships to play college ball, played 4 years, didn't get drafted, got cut, almost got cut again, but due to injuries to HUGH thugs, he finally got a chance

Brandon Jennings averaged 20+ for his first month of his first year in the League at age 19. Scored 50-some in one of his first 10 games.

he got alot of hype too. but was it as much? I don't think so if I recall. although there was alot of buzz after his almost 60 point game

a) it was in milwaukee b) the guy was expected to be great out of HS/foreign leagues c) he faded d) he was black???? I don't know
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: parexa

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

mayweather is 100% correct. if it was another black dude, it wouldnt be as hyped up.
    but there are definate racial negativity from his comments.
    if he had just said its hyped because hes asian its one thing
    but he had add his part about black people getting ignored, as if black people werent getting their due in the nba..........

almost every1 that played PG for the knicks was black and most of them sucked the last 10-15 years. instead of recognizing Lin's talents, its another racial situation

therealdealau
    therealdealau's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1069

I can't believe we are even discussing this.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

it's not a race thing, it's an underdog thing.

why are movies such as rocky, rudy, the rookie, invinicible so popular? because they're stories of underdogs who overcame great odds to achieve their dreams. same applies to lin, who went undrafted and was cut by several teams before realizing his dreams in nyc.

if it were a white guy who was delivering pizzas a week ago or a black guy washing cars at a carwash, they would get the same media coverage if they were doing what lin is doing.

only a jealous lowlife such as pussyweather would try and turn this in to a race thing.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11139

Floyd Mayweather @FloydMayweather
    Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise.

Unreal
    While I agree that him being Asian in a predominantly black/white sport makes it an interesting story, but he's earned the hype because of his body of work. He's done over the past few days what no one else has done of any color. The best thing about America is it's diversity and as Americans we should feel proud when someone rises up from the unexpected. Him being Asian adds to the intrigue. We should all embrace our differences and encourage folks to make our country a melting pot. I'd bet that he had a tough time breaking down the stereotypes each night he stepped on the court since Junior High. He had to have a strong will to overcome everyone telling him what he couldn't do. I love it

yisman

I no that yisman, was just saying. They are coming back though. Amare tomorrow.
    I was explaining the Lin story and part of it is that the Knicks haven't had any stars with him. It'd be a bit diminished if he was doing it with guys like Carmelo and Amar'e playing a big part.

When you have a guy come out of nowhere like Lin and do what he's been doing with no recognizable names around him (except for Chandler, who finally got some real NBA pub for the first time since the Bulls days thanks to Dallas's title), it's huge.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

yes its underdog-ish

but to deny that being non-black in the NBA or NFL DOESN'T contribute to the underdog thing is blind too.

don't deny you openly or privately root a BIT harder for the White Receivers and Running Backs in the fall.

LET'S GO JORDY NELSON!!!!!!

Hansolo
    Hansolo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 343

Agree with yisman

Ill also add another point.

Any player (asian or black or white) putting up lin-type numbers in NYC gets top billing on ESPN Sportscenter every night.

Same player (but asian) gets CNN/NBC/NYT headlines.

Thats the difference between being a sports story and a human-interest story. Race and underdog and ivy league moves 20/10 a game from the back page headline to the front page. thats the difference between water cooler fodder and a household name.

Knicks go 10-0 with Lin and he becomes an internet meme...a true Linderella story.

Solo
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chi_archie

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

if u saw a black dude doing a 360 dunk in the dunk contest its nothing special
    if u saw a 5'5 black dude like spud webb doing a 360 dunk, its different
    there is some truth to wat mayweather said

lin is averaging all star numbers, and there are a handful that have put up the same numbers for years.
    wat makes it different is race, his story and NYC.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Everytime Floyd opens his mouth he sounds more and more like an idiot.
    Points Awarded:

crustyme gave Speedy88 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

jim morris, a white mlb pitcher, was featured on cnn and had a movie made about him... why?

vince papale, a white football player, also featured in mainstream news and had a movie made about him... why?

jason mcelwain, a white hs basketball player, also featured on cnn and other news programs..... why?

was it all due to their race too? nah, they were all great interesting underdog stories, same as lin.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

If a white guy said this there wouldn't even be a thread about it. Now for the real most likely reason Mayweather said this is because nobody in the world was betting the Knicks with Amare and Melo (except against shitty minnesota) out of the lineup and Floyd was doing what the general public do when injuries happen to star players. They bet against the team with the star players out and the NBA just like all sports leagues instruct their refs to call the games one sided. Only in the gambling world when a teams best player is out they somehow find this miracle way to win. When i played sports and our best player was out, we got drilled just like we should have. We didn't all step up to take up the slack lmfao.

First 1234 Last