C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Was Mike Vanderjack black balled from NFL for gambling?

At one point in time the most accurate kicker in NFL history. In 2003 he made every single PAT and field goal he took. He was a perfect 37/37 in FGs and 46/46 PATs. In 2005 he hit 92% of his field goals including 7/8 from 40-49 yards.

I heard after he missed the playoff kick vs Pittsburgh in 2005 he was blackballed from the NFL. I read somewhere he was a drunk and a gambler, I also read that king Peyton didn't want him back with the Colts. He was cut and kicked 1 season for Dallas after that and then no NFL team wanted him? Was he banned or black balled from the NFL? I think he went to Canada. How the heck could no NFL team want him, there are some pretty crappy kickers out there. There has got to be more to the story.

If he was a known drunk gambler that would explain why no team wanted him.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Nope. He lost his accuracy, and desire to play football after a short stint with the Cowboys.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Nope. He lost his accuracy, and desire to play football after a short stint with the Cowboys.
    He lost his desire to play football so much that he went to Canada after no NFL team picked him up?

2002 he was an up until that point career worst 23/31 74% in field goals. The following year in 2003 he was a perfect 37/37 field goal attempts 100%.

Let me ask you a question. If he was blackballed from the NFL for gambling do you think the teams would just come out and say it? Would Tagliabue want that out there in the press? You have to read between the lines.

JJ?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Where did you find he was a bad gambler? I've heard a drunk before

But anyway, he was a headcase, missed a few big kicks, and was generally known as an asshole

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

He is Canadian so maybe he wanted to play for the CFL?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

headcase and drunk, not worth the drama for a part timer

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

things went downhill after he spouted off at the pro bowl that manning wasn't clutch

as a kicker you don't run your mouth about the face of the league

manning probably did get him blackballed

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Where did you find he was a bad gambler? I've heard a drunk before

But anyway, he was a headcase, missed a few big kicks, and was generally known as an asshole

If a kicker missed kicks for money how many NFL teams do you think would want him? I'm intrigued.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    He is Canadian so maybe he wanted to play for the CFL?

Mark Rypien was Canadian too. Do you think he'd rather play for the Redskins or Argonauts?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    If a kicker missed kicks for money how many NFL teams do you think would want him? I'm intrigued.
    No shit but where'd you see/hear anything that suggests this? I've never even heard that vanderjerkoff was a gambler

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    things went downhill after he spouted off at the pro bowl that manning wasn't clutch

as a kicker you don't run your mouth about the face of the league

manning probably did get him blackballed

I read that Manning got him kicked off the Colts, but Peyton can't prevent 31 other teams from signing him.

The media blamed Peyton for chocking, he probably got in Vanderjack's face after the game and Mr. Rah rah guy probably chewed him out... So what was Vanderjack's reaction? F U Peyton, you chocked and everybody knows it. So he went public. Peyton told management to cut him for "team chemistry" and management listened.

But why wouldn't other teams sign him? I'm intrigued by the idea that he took money to miss kicks, is it true?

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14778

Br0nxer

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    i love the "when i get home i will deal with it"- "if he is still a teammate"

translation- when i get home i will decide if i am going to release him or keep him

stevex
    stevex's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11350

Rough

Br0nxer

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    I read that Manning got him kicked off the Colts, but Peyton can't prevent 31 other teams from signing him.

The media blamed Peyton for chocking, he probably got in Vanderjack's face after the game and Mr. Rah rah guy probably chewed him out... So what was Vanderjack's reaction? F U Peyton, you chocked and everybody knows it. So he went public. Peyton told management to cut him for "team chemistry" and management listened.

But why wouldn't other teams sign him? I'm intrigued by the idea that he took money to miss kicks, is it true?
    i know he was bad at the end. thats all i remember

before he was on the cowboys he missed a shitload of kicks and then wasn't great on dallas

never heard anything about gambling related to him

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

I live in Indy & met him before with a bunch of other Colts. A friend of an ex does physical therapy for the O-line and several other guys. We watched the game from the players section and then went down outside the locker room after the game with the media/family/friends. Vanderjagt came back for 3 seasons after Peytons "Our idiot kicker went and got liquored up" statement.....so Peyton didn't get him released. He got himself released when he couldn't make clutch kicks anymore. The 2005 Colts team was prob their most talented team and he missed a fg at the end vs Pitt in the playoffs that would've taken it to OT.
    Last edited by Mr Handicapable; 02-08-12 at 08:58 AM.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

you mean vanderjagt? you know you posted this on on a virtual database known as the internet where you can check the spelling instead of making yourself look like an idiot and completely butchering the name?

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    you mean vanderjagt? you know you posted this on on a virtual database known as the internet where you can check the spelling instead of making yourself look like an idiot and completely butchering the name?
    i think it was an intentional butchering like vanderjerkoff in this thread

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

am i the only one failing to find humor or irony in "vanderjack". you must piss your pants every time you watch titanic or pirates of the caribbean, or change a flat tire or play cards